Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TOOTHPASTE! please help now! *EDIT*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

ok, tonight i was givin my son a bath, it was about 8:15 or so, and i left the bathroom to go switch laundry over (yes i know they can drown, but i had let most of the water out before i left.) well when i went back in there my son had his toothpaste ( aquafresh for kids)  in the bathtub with him. i didnt think anything of it then, just told him no no! and got him out and ready for bed. well about an hour ago he was crying so i went in his room and he had thrown up all his milk and it had a funny smell ( the bubble gum from the toothpaste i finally realized.) now, i dont need any bashing just wondering-- ive already looked up all the stuff on fluoride poisoning and called poison control ( there  is only 0.15% w/v of  fluoride ion in this kids toothpaste) and they said he should be fine, but i am wondering if i should just go ahead and take him to the er. the man at poison control said that it should just give him a tummy ache because theres not really enough in that toothpaste to overdose on. but i am still worried! NO BASHING please! i already feel bad enough.

my son is 2 by the way and he weighs 34 lbs.

 

OH ALSO... i forgot to say how much he had ate--- the tube was about 3/4 of the way full, now its about half maybe a lil less.

**hes been asleep for about half an hour now, i went in and checked on him, his breathing is normal no more throw up or anything. i guess i will not be getting any sleep tonight though cause i KNOW i will not be able to cause i will wanna check on him every 5 minutes!

THANX!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Decker
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM

i dont know but here is a bump

Caitlinsmom09
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM

IdK really.

Poision control usually knows right since they look it up and what not but it couldn't hurt to take him even just to give you some piece of mind.

 

kgsharber
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM

 Dear, one time when my son was about 18 mos (he is now 3 1/2) drank an entire travel size bottle of hand sanitizer. Things like this just happen. I called poison control and they said he would basically be drunk for a few hours, pass out, and then wake up with a hang-over, lol. My point is kids are resillient and I am sure poison control will know more than the ER simply because this is what they specialize in. I would just let it run its course and not torture him with a trip to th eER, he already sounds like he's miserable.

 

Oh, and my pedi told me after our incident that the information they give you for overdosing is for kids that are in the bottom 5% of their height and weight for their age group. It's a legal issue, they have to treat everyone as the worst case scenario. So if your son is normal or even bigger for his age I would say he's fine.

Randi02
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Ingesting fluoride won't do much more than make him sick right now.

The problem is on a longer term, issues like fluorosis. Hope he's alright! We are a fluoride (and SLS) free house. We don't have it in our water, toothpaste etc.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Lovemybrayden
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Been there....you littlerly have to eat the whole toothpaste tube for it to start to be harmful...

Lovemybrayden
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM

hahaha my kid actually also ate  the bubblegum Aquafresh.....Oh then moved onto the mint crest.... :O!!!!! He was fine and he is a skinny little thing, he ate quit a bit of it. He never did throw up but he did have diarrea the next day....

ZombieBroad
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM

he will be fine. my dd once appeard to have drank some reed diffuser oil and i too called poison controll. (turns out she didnt drink any of it but in fact had just poured it down her shirt) and they told me that those are not alcohol based but rather petroleum so unless i think she aspirated it she would be fine. well i took her to the er and spent the $150 in copay to be told she would be fine and layed in a stretcher in triage for 3 hrs. i would trust what poison control said. he probably puked because he had a tummy ache. 

BAMBAMmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Well consider yourself lucky. When my son was 9 months old we were visiting a friend of mine who's son was 3 weeks old, so her house was not yet babyproof. My son was FAST and crawled into the kitchen. In a span of literally 30 second I finished my sentence to my friend then turned around to check on my son to find him playing with a container of AJAX Bleach Powder!!! He had it on his hands and face and I had no idea if he ate any of it but I panicked! I called poison control and they told me to wash his hands and mouth and watch him. He ended up being fine. Things like this happen. Don't feel like a bad mom. I say if he gets worse or continues to throw up to take him in, but don't do it if he's good now. Chances are he's thrown up what was upsetting his tummy and is ok now. :) The human body is amazing, really. Most likely it's rid his stomach of the toxins that were really causing a problem.

MariaDeLaLuz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM

I ate toothpaste a lot when I was a kid. It will give him an upset stomach that is for sure. i would not be to concerned about him getting poisoned by it. It sounds like his body reacted to if and had him throw it up. So yes some may have been digested but not all. He will be fine and I Would totally trust poison control. I have called it once cause my son got a hold of a tide to go pen.

MariaDeLaLuz
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Especially kids toothpaste.

Quoting Lovemybrayden:

Been there....you littlerly have to eat the whole toothpaste tube for it to start to be harmful...


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)