• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms..

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

Happy April Fools Mamas!

So I'll be 6 months pregnant on saturday and I've been thinking about what bottles to buy.

I do plan on breastfeeding, which I heard is a challenge, but it's something I really am going to set my mind too. Anyways I was wondering if any of you ladies had any ideas on a good bottle thats easy to transition. My fiance is obviously going to want to feed his daughter and I want him to experience that as well. So I guess I'm just looking for a good bottle he can use after I pump. And I was also wondering about a good breastpump, theres so many out there and it gets a little rough making a decision. I won't be buying the pump until I know that I can breastfeed though, I just need a few ideas.

Any suggestions?

Kelly (19) & Jeff (21)
Our baby girl is due
July 24th, 2010.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AirborneWifee
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM

ive used and given these bottles to someone..and their son didnt like any bottles but will take this one..our son doesnt like bottles..but used this one. Its the Tommee Tippee at bru. its a lil spendy but it works for us...

mandaa0986
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM

i love dr.brown bottles. my daughter spit up a lottt and they told me to buy those and they work wonders.

MamaToLucas
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Mama, if you go into nursing even thinking you might not be able to do it, you're setting yourself up for failure. Only 2-3% of women truly CAN'T nurse/don't produce enough.

Forget the bottles for now. Find a lactation consultant in your area and have at least 1 or 2 prenatal meetings. You sound like you need some encouragement. Sure, it's challenging for some women, but it doesn't need to be. What do you think women did before formula?

You can do it! It's what boobs are for.

mamajen07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

well, dd was breastfed and would never take a bottle.

ds was breastfed, but had to have formula in a bottle, suffered nipple confusion and thus, is now formula fed. we orginally had the Playtex bottles - but they always drip - so i switched to Nuby bottles - they can be upside down or sideways and don't always drip!

BAMBAMmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I used Playtex drop ins. Don't buy the Playtex airvent ones, they suck X 100,000,000. Lol. My friend uses the doctor brown ones and loves them.

But I wouldn't suggest bottle feeding AT ALL, at least until you have breastfeeding down to science. Yea it's going to be a little disappointing for your fiance but there are other things he can do to help you and feel close to the baby. If you are nervous about breastfeeding adding a bottle into the mix is goin to make it that much harder. So until you've got it down and so does the baby I wouldn't even TOUCH a bottle. My son got nipple confusion from bottles and refused to breastfeed. babies aren't dumb, my son learned that bottle was easier and faster and would SCREAM his lungs out when I tried to breastfeed. So save yourself the trouble, do as Mamato Lucas said and see a lactation consultant before you even give birth. I didn't know enough to keep trying.

MamaToLucas and Randi02 (i think that's her SN) are amazing advice givers when it comes to breastfeeding. there are a few other momma's in here too that can give you links to helpful website and tons of reassuring information. I was nervous about nursing whenever I have another baby but they have put my mind at ease. Those two mommas are great in this group but you can also join a breastfeeding group and they will help you out. Good luck!

LilGina
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I used avent but I didnt BF

Cryssie2107
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM

For both of my kids I used Playtex Drop-ins and have bought more for this baby to use too! I recommend them 110%. They are great..easier to clean, reduce gas, and they have the "natralatch nipples" ( I think that's spelled right?) They are designed for easy transition between breast and bottle, cuz the nipples are designed like our nipples. So I suggest those! And there is a pump/breast milk storage system designed to go with those bottles which I am going to try this time. They pump right into the drop-ins and have lids to close them..much easier than pumping into a bag you have to seal then cut open and transfer into a bottle.

.Molly.
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about bottles right now if you want to be a successful breastfeeder. I understand that you fiance might want that experience, but giving it to him and planning for it could be detrimental to your nursing relationship, which is more important.

I second what MamatoLucas said and I strongly encourage you to forgo bottles for at least the first month or two.

krfbaker
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM

okay thanks for the advice!
I know they have lactation consultants at the hospital where I'll be giving birth. I'm going to call and see if I can get in there for a prenatal appointment!

baby_bump_2008
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Soothies are the best. My sisters baby is 13 days old and I bought them for my sis for her baby shower and she said her and my brother in law love them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)