• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hmmmm...HUD question

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I am going to apply for housing assistance. I know the list is probably long but what the hell :) I need to get out of my parents house.

I looked at the online application and they said Head of Household and Spouse. I'm not married. Does anyone know if I have to be married to get it if my boyfriend is going to be living there? Are we then considered a family or am I still considered a single parent family? Either/or we are high up on the priority list.

Also, does anyone know how it works? I plan on calling and asking questions soon but I thought I'd ask you ladies. Like if we are in a place already will we have to move? Say we aren't in a place when our name comes up and we can move, is the housing crappy? I'm shooting for Section 8 housing vouchers because I'd really rather live in a house than an apartment. Any info/personal experience would be awesome.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Decker
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM

you dont have to be married for him to live there to, but you have to meet their criteria. you are still considered a single parent family because you two arent married.

mamajen07
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:03 AM

i have no idea! good luck though! =)

LittleKrittle
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Good luck, I applied for housing on my 18th birthday, and I am 19 and a half now and started off at number 43 and now I am number 22. Fucking hate being broke and living with people... wish it would hurry up!! Section 8 NOW THATS a tough one!! My MIL was on that list for EIGHT YEARS before she got it!! Holy shit right??? Lol

lilangel_4206
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM

you should go to your local housing office and ask them because we might think that you dont have to married but they might have a different opinion

.Molly.
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Section 8 is going to take FOREVER! Good luck with that! The lists are long, but getting section 8 is even harder. Your boyfriend's income has to be included if he wants to live there but you don't have to be married.

LilGina
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM

If your boyfriend is living there both your incomes count and who ever makes more money is head of household

erika_wright
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM

only certain places are HUD housing, so it wont automatically cover a place you are already living in. all the HuD housing i have seen has been pretty nice. they have it in all sorts f areas, niceparts of town included. my uncle has several rental properties that he rent as HUD, he still makes the same he would off of them as he woud renting regularly bc the government pays him to do it, so its a way he can easily help out other people.

i think as long as you are iving there as a family, you dont have to be married, it would be silyl if you did.

i know that here the waiting list is up to several years long ( i was looking at it before dh got his job)

BAMBAMmommy
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM

The list (last time I checked) was 2 years. But I've heard from several people that it only took 6 months to get help. We live in a small populated area of Colorado, the western slope (the part you don't ever hear about lol) I could imagine the list being 8 years long or something if I lived closer to Denver, but the two year mark sounds about right.

.Molly.
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:53 PM

When I was on HUD, it was 2 years for THEIR housing. I forget what it was called but it wasn't the projects, it was a housing owned house and I am from Pueblo (which I think you knew). So do you mean that there is a 2 year wait for Section 8 or for help in general?

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

The list (last time I checked) was 2 years. But I've heard from several people that it only took 6 months to get help. We live in a small populated area of Colorado, the western slope (the part you don't ever hear about lol) I could imagine the list being 8 years long or something if I lived closer to Denver, but the two year mark sounds about right.

BAMBAMmommy
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I called housing assistance when I first moved here and the lady was a bitch she told me that the wait list was 2 years long and pretty much implied that i should just be homeless. I just called housing assistance, at that point I didn't care what kind it was. But I've talked to people who do the housing vouchers (section 8) and they said it's about the same. It just a house that the landlord signs on with the government and they get paid the same as they would for just renting it out normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)