Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any advice?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM
  • 9 Replies

My twin girls just turned 2 and will not listen to me at all. And worst of all we are currently living with my mom so she tries to overule me. You know "grandma knows best". Honestly the only punishment that works for them is the corner. Does anyone have any advice on how to make them listen better. I know they are kids and are gonna act up but i hate them telling me no to my face. Or doing something just cause i told them not to. And any advice on what to do about my mom thinking she's the boss and not me?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tabbie-kat
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:25 AM

i have no advice sweety, i have a 2 year old lil boy myself and he is awful. he beats up on my 1 year old lil girl all the time, now hes got to were he tries to tell me what to do and to get out of his room. he is horrible. with your mom, maybe sit down and have a talk with her. my mom and i just came to blows a couple aweeks ago because of some similar stuff. we spank our kids, not hard but enough to let them know they are doing something they are not suppose to, she use to whip me and my siblings when we were younger but now she wants to complain about my husband whipping my son and she use to be really bad about trying to tell me what to do with my kids. its so aggrivating.

JayBearsmomma
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

all i have to say is terrible twos. they will grow out of it . just stick to your guns and dont give in. this is a year of testing for them. they win now and they will have control for the rest of your life. as for ur mom try to sit down with her and have an adult talk. let her no how u feel, and whats bothering u, while also making it clear that u r grateful for her and appreciate her advice at times.

lovealwayzashes
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Unfortantly all kids go through a stage of what can i get away with, but you have to just stick with it and be patient, as for you mother you need to have a talk with her, its always hard to stop mothering your still her baby so she still believes she knows best sometimes they just need a reminder that they are grandma and not the mother.

jojosmama1228
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM

1: your mother is the problem, she's over ruling you making your kids think they don't have to listen to you, talk to your mom and tell her that they are your girls and she needs to back off if they are going to respect you. 2: try taking away their favorite toys, or privilages. and if putting them in a corner works then do it. my mom used to make me my bro n sis stand on the corner and each time we did something bad standing there she would make us stand on one leg or touch our nose to the wall, anything to make it harder

Mom_since06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Have a talk with your mom and let her know that you are thier mom and you are the boss and as far as disipline i would try the time out thing where you make them sit in the naughty chair 2 minutes and explain to them why they got put there and then after they serve thier time make them apologize...worked for me

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

Emerald_storm01
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Good luck

dj_mommy_040708
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM

i tried the chair thing. it didnt work. they just keep getting up...its like you have to beat them just to make them sit. for some reason the corner works. i always make them say sorry when they are bad. or say it whenever they mouth off to someone.

dj_mommy_040708
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

im gonna try talking to her again. ive done it i dont know how many times. she thinks im too hard on them. she used to be the same with me & my oldest brother. but the youngest she let get away with everything. now he's 14 and wont listen to her for anything. she hates that i put them in the corner or spank them but thats what i feel i need to do to make them listen. i dont spank them hard. i do yell but thats just my nerves. i know i shouldnt yell as much as i do but with 2 two year olds, a 7 month old and her its hard to control my frustration sometimes lol.

JCRocky
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I have a two year old, that has a listening problem too. I understand how you feel though, because my mother is currently staying with me as well. I think before any progress can be made on your end, you and grandma need to have a sit down. Let her know that you appreciate her, and everything that she does, but that you do feel like she is overruling you. When my mother and I had this conversation she didn't even know that I felt like that. Once you and grandma are on the same page things should start going much more smoothly. As far as twins goes, you've got me beat there lol. What I've found works best for my two year old is consistency, and swift results. Use the same punishment for the same bad behaviors, and correct the behavior as soon as you see it happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)