Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Painting in rentals

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 26 Replies

So I've heard a lot of people say they can't paint because they rent, but I've also known a few people who had painted in their apartment/townhome/rental house...

So what's the verdict? Do you rent? Are you allowed to paint? Have you ever rented a place where you were allowed to paint?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM

the current house we are in we rent and painted every room in the house. [it really needed it lol]

the house we are fixing to move into will be rental and we can paint there too:) I can't wait bc we are going to do DD's room in zebra and turqouise. And we will paint the nursery after baby is born:)

Mom_since06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:18 PM

most of the time you cant paint at a rental house because its not your property its the landlords.if you are wanting to paint i would definitly ask the owner first.i mean what if you bought a house and rented it out and painted a neutral color that everyone would be ok with and then the renter painted what THEY wanted and the next renter dident like that color

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

Mrs.Loeffel
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM

i'm glad my landlord(s) aren't this way! I would HATE to live in an all neutral color house! lol

Quoting Mom_since06:

most of the time you cant paint at a rental house because its not your property its the landlords.if you are wanting to paint i would definitly ask the owner first.i mean what if you bought a house and rented it out and painted a neutral color that everyone would be ok with and then the renter painted what THEY wanted and the next renter dident like that color

Mandiii04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM

From what I have gathered... As long as you paint the rooms back to a neutral color before you leave, you can paint.  I am renting an apartment, and I had initially wanted to paint... but then decided that it was a waste of my time.

BAMBAMmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I mean I can understand WHY a landlord wouldn't allow a renter to paint. But I've heard of quite a few places who allow it as long as you paint it back to a white or neutral color or something when you leave.

StarlaPatetta2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Some apartments I've lived in have allowed painting as long as you repaint in the original color before you leave, the last home we rented didn't allow any painting, in the home we rent now, we were allowed to paint, so i think it just depends on the landlord.

mama_girl07
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM

We can paint but we have to paint it back when we leave. We painted once in one apt butwe left it without painting because it was a dark color and I was pregnant so we didnt want the paint fumes in the place. In the apt we are in now we can pay the apt 25 bucks and they will come paint the living rooma dn one wall in each room weither green or brown but we chose not to do that. i cant wait until we have a house I wount have to worry about it.

Mrs.Loeffel

we don't even have to do that! I can see it in like maybe apartments or whatever bc they all have to look the same. But I think rental houses should be able to do whatever.

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

I mean I can understand WHY a landlord wouldn't allow a renter to paint. But I've heard of quite a few places who allow it as long as you paint it back to a white or neutral color or something when you leave.

lovemylittle1

My mother and I own rentals. [6 to be exact] and we allow our renter to paint. The only condition we have is that when they are ready to move out, either they have to paint the walls white again [true white, cant have any tint of the under color] or we will take the cost of paint and our time out of their deposit.

Oh yeah, for when the tenants move out, if they are paintin git themselves, they have to get our okay on the color / shade and brand.

yeahthisizlve
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I live in an apartment and we painted... we just have to paint all the walls white again when we move out! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)