Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

headstart this year or wait

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

my son turned 3 november 8th.He can go to headstart this year in august if i want him to he will be almost 4.I am a sahm and he doesent see many kids and i think it would be good for him in a way but the only thing is he will go from 8-2 mon-thurs and 12 on friday.i also have a 11 month old and it think it would give me a chance to have one on one time with him whike the 3 year old is at school but my husband wants me to wait until he is 4 almost 5 because he says he will be in school for a long time and he needs all the time he can get to be a kid and be at home which i do understand but what do you think

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BAMBAMmommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I can see both sides of the spectrum...but why don't you let your son decide on this one? I think he is old enough to understand what school is, and maybe you can explain to him what it's like or try to see if you can visit the head start while school is in session so he can see what goes on. Then let him decide if he'd like to go or not.

aciredyolf
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM

My oldest just turned four at the end of March and I'll be starting her in what they call VPK here. I have two younger ones, 3 and almost 2. Been a SAHM this whole time. One of my friends suggested finding a place that does 3 and 4 yr old VPK so both girls can go but I'm not ready for that. I hope you can figure out what's best for your family =). He may enjoy being with kids his own age and having one on one time with the youngest will help you too. Good luck!

LittleKrittle
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I'm having the same dilemma, only because my DD is not fully potty trained =(

Mom_since06
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM

everytime he sees a school bus he says i wanna go to school lol...i dont think he quite understands that he will be going everyday i was going to take him to sign up and see how he interacts with the kids first but i guess i will have to respect my husbands wishes i mean he is his parent too

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

I can see both sides of the spectrum...but why don't you let your son decide on this one? I think he is old enough to understand what school is, and maybe you can explain to him what it's like or try to see if you can visit the head start while school is in session so he can see what goes on. Then let him decide if he'd like to go or not.

Stay at home momstay home momStay at home mom

lala1217
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I waited until my son was four turning five.  I figured he'd be less likely to cry and he'd go right from Head Start to Kindergarten without any issues.  He never cried and he can't wait for Kindergarten this fall!

mommyof20
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

my son went to headstart at three and he loved it he always tells me he wants to go to his school and not mine(i work in a daycare and he hated when i take him)

LilGina
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I say send him so you can have a break. Does thjat make me a bad person? lol

Emerald_storm01
by on May. 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Ok so I tried to put my son in preschool last year, he hadn't been 4 for more than a month when he started.  He made it through the first couple days ok, but after that is was bad.  He didn't want to be there, cried, said he hated it.  I think I am probably going to try again this year, or just start in in kindergarten in 2 yrs

JayBearsmomma
by on May. 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

i think its a good idea, but u should let him tell you my son will be three is a week and he is all for going to school he loves to play with the kids he says.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)