Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM Myths----PIOG

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • 21 Replies

What are some common myths or stereotypes that you have heard about SAHMs.

Some common (and untrue) things I have recently heard are that we are...

lazy, uneducated, unmotivated throwbacks to the 50's, that we watch tv all day, that we stay home because we can't get a job or handle the pressure of the work force, that we are wasting our lives or our talents, that its not "really" work since we do not get a pay check, and my favorite of all.... is that we are not "providing" for our children... ugg I HATE that one.

Anyone else have any other annoying stereotypes or myths that they hear over and over again?

Extended breastfeeding (breast is best anyone that tells you differently is 100% wrong)... no formula for my little guys, Extended rear facing and harnessing.. If you are not rear facing to the MAX you are not doing everything you can to protect your child), homeschooling, mommy to 2 wonderful little boys!!!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandiaubrey
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I just hate the one that we are lazy and I hear all the time that I am selfish! Ugh, no I am not, thanks though. LOL

Joeysmom6
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM
That stay at home moms have it "easy" because they dont "work".

I just wanna say that I was a working mom at 1st and I have been a stay at home mom for the last 6 months...... I had it sooooooo much easier being a working mom IMO.
erika_wright
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

that we are stay at home moms bc we dont want to go to work, not that we have small children who we are caring for.

i love being a sahm, and i couldnt imagine having to work fulltime on top of everything else that we do as moms.

LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

you pretty much covered them all lol

LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I think we are opposite of selfish because we at least me give up the money we could be making working to stay home and take care of our kids .

Quoting brandiaubrey:

I just hate the one that we are lazy and I hear all the time that I am selfish! Ugh, no I am not, thanks though. LOL

BAMBAMmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

My ex actually told me that I was a bad mom for being a SAHM. Lol he's a little dumb...

But I get bitched at all the time because the house isn't spotless when my mom gets home. Fuuuuuuck it's so hard with my terrible twoed toddler running around creating a mess everytime I clean one up. Not to mention my mom adds to it by buying him more and more toys that end up ALL OVER the living room. Lol but I laugh because when she babysits for me and I get home she's like "oh Megan your son..." and the house is a mess. HAHAHA!

All I can say is thank god I am moving out this weekend.

erika_wright
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM

i also hate the one that we are 100% responsible for everything to do w the kids, the house and EVERYTHING else, and that its not our husbands job bc they work, and the house is our job.

yes the majority is my responsibility if for no other reason than i have more opportunity to do it, but that doesnt give him a pass on helping w HIS children, cleaning up the dinner i made for HIM, and other things that benefit him.

TK87
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I agree, working was a lot easier then being a stay at home mom.  At work I got actual breaks and didn't have to look after no one but myself.  I was hardly stressed working and i'm stressed out a lot more now because there something that always has to be done while i'm watching the kids at the same time, I hate that.

Quoting Joeysmom6:

That stay at home moms have it "easy" because they dont "work".

I just wanna say that I was a working mom at 1st and I have been a stay at home mom for the last 6 months...... I had it sooooooo much easier being a working mom IMO.

Chibi_Kitten
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM

My sister once told me that I should be able to get everything around the house done while my son is at school because it's easy to get housework done when you only have one child to watch (my daughter is 2yo) and she'll nap.

countrymama6608
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I agree the ones I hate most is that we do nothing all day and that we are uneducated! Hello I'm staying at home and earning my bachelors degree!  The other one that annoys the hell out of me is that it isn't work!  

Not to mention that with the economy the way it is even though we only have one paycheck coming in we also save a lot on childcare and know what our children do all day along with how well they are being taken care of!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)