• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"retard"

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: is someone using the word "retarded" as an insult wrong?

Options:

yes

no

other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

the word gets thrown around so often now, i was just wondering if people who actually do have special needs children take offense to this or not? and even if you dont have special needs children, is it ever okay to use it as an insult?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taytumedwards
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM

i for one, think its not okay. i think people are forgetting, since like i said its thrown around so often, that it can really hurt someone.

DeathBat
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

not really sure where i stand.. lol. i think it's offensive sometimes but i know i say it. kind of like  the word "G@Y"

you might have to edit the word.. it might be agains CM's TOS. But who knows.. they change their rules all the time.

yezay
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I have a special needs child and I say it all the time!  I'm 24 years old and i think it's just my age.  It was such a popular slang term when I was in high school that it comes out without me even thinking about it.  I can tell when someone is saying it as an insult as opposed to just saying "that's so retarded"  It's def not a good thing to say and something that people need to work on just like "that's so gay"

taytumedwards
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

yea ive said it and it just got me thinking..

and wow its against the rules to say that but not for girls in the circumsicion post to call each other pussys, whores, etc? lol this group is kinda crazy??

Quoting yezay:

I have a special needs child and I say it all the time!  I'm 24 years old and i think it's just my age.  It was such a popular slang term when I was in high school that it comes out without me even thinking about it.  I can tell when someone is saying it as an insult as opposed to just saying "that's so retarded"  It's def not a good thing to say and something that people need to work on just like "that's so gay"

luna08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

iv worked with special needs kids and i still blurt it sometimes. i dont mean it as a bad thing to those with special needs but when i was in school thats one of the in things. its just stuck. i still say "thats so sweet" like someone else would say "thats so cool" its just wat i grew up with. but im working on myself and this is one. i think its just one of those over used terms usedincorrectly, like saying something is gay, and even gehto

Quoting taytumedwards:

yea ive said it and it just got me thinking..

and wow its against the rules to say that but not for girls in the circumsicion post to call each other pussys, whores, etc? lol this group is kinda crazy??

Quoting yezay:

LilGina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I do use it once and awhile but I don't know when I think about it I feel bad I also say gay to now I feel bad lol

BAMBAMmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I think it's offensive, but I'll admit to having said it. My cousin has a special needs child and he does get offended with the word, even if you're just saying "Oh that's so retarded!" there are other words that are better used. I HATE the word "faggot" and I actually dumped my BEST FRIEND in high school because she used it ALL the time for a lot of things and it really bothered me, but she saw nothing wrong with it. She thought that because she wasn't using the term in regards to a homosexual then it wasn't really offensive. But if you're using it to describe someone you don't like, isn't the point of the word to BE offensive? I could care less if you're referring to a homosexual or not, or referring to a special needs person or not, there are correct terms to use. Homosexual and gay, I think, are acceptable words to describe someone of that nature. Just as "handicapped" "mentally challenged" "challenged" or "special needs" are all acceptable terms to describe someone of that nature.

I think people horribly butcher the human language. Bitch is a term used to describe a woman you don't like or who is being negative, but how often do you look at a female dog and say "What a beautiful bitch you have!"?? How often do you refer to a bundle of sticks and say "hey can you hand me that faggot?"

luna08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

i sooo agree with you! my mom use to try and teach me the correct terms and i thought it was so funny. we went to a farm and she says "wow look at that ass" obviously she was talking about the donky but i thought it was funny at the time. when ppl started useing the word "sweet" to say something was cool shed always make some remark to correct it lol

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

I think it's offensive, but I'll admit to having said it. My cousin has a special needs child and he does get offended with the word, even if you're just saying "Oh that's so retarded!" there are other words that are better used. I HATE the word "faggot" and I actually dumped my BEST FRIEND in high school because she used it ALL the time for a lot of things and it really bothered me, but she saw nothing wrong with it. She thought that because she wasn't using the term in regards to a homosexual then it wasn't really offensive. But if you're using it to describe someone you don't like, isn't the point of the word to BE offensive? I could care less if you're referring to a homosexual or not, or referring to a special needs person or not, there are correct terms to use. Homosexual and gay, I think, are acceptable words to describe someone of that nature. Just as "handicapped" "mentally challenged" "challenged" or "special needs" are all acceptable terms to describe someone of that nature.

I think people horribly butcher the human language. Bitch is a term used to describe a woman you don't like or who is being negative, but how often do you look at a female dog and say "What a beautiful bitch you have!"?? How often do you refer to a bundle of sticks and say "hey can you hand me that faggot?"

C_Kight
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I would beat some one's @ss if it were directed at my younger BIL who is mentally ill among other things... and I wouldn't give a damn who they are!

I have heard kids using it and I find it inappropriate.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I think calling someone who is obviously mentally challenged a retard is definitely offensive. Using it like this "Stop being so retarded" to someone like your husband is not offensive to me. I am bi-sexual and in high school when I was only dating girls, I would say "That's gay" and I would NOT mean it that way. Other's would say it and then be scared and ask if I took offense.

I think words change and lots of people are all freaked out about the word retard... welp, it does not mean what the traditional meaning states when it's used in most cases.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)