Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Can cats really take babys breath away? *MYTH or REAL??

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

i heard that a cat can suffer a baby by laying over their nose is this true

by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bren07
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM

well i know that cats are not safe to ever leave alone around a baby because they can smell the milk on their breath and can attack them..i have also heard of them laying on the baby and suffocating them..so i just would rather b on the safe side and never leave a cat alone with my kids..
i hope these links can help a bit about cats and babies-
http://www.cat-world.com.au/cats-a-babies-can-they-co-exist

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/pets_babies.html

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

AngelicaRenee
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I'm sure that a cat laying on an infants head could kill the baby. BUT that doesn't mean that having cats with infants means you are a horrible person. Just keep the cat out of the babies room and no worries.

momma2em
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM

yes, you need to be very careful with cats around babies

janette25
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM

myth

what happens is the cat smells the milk on baby's breath and tries to lick it

qtdavis
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM
I wouldnt risk it...I know my cats have tried cuddling the babies and like to try and lay in the crib what would stop them from laying on the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ps.iloveyou
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM
I had a cat with my son and he never bothered him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabieBerrie
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I have had cats for years (grew up with my mom breeding and now I rescue and foster) its all about how a cat is trained, its very important to train them not to go in the babies bed before the baby arrives that way it will know its off limits, cats tend to curl up in any warm spot they can find, including next to a baby, if it happens to sleep near baby's face it can make it hard for baby to breath some cats will even lay on the baby. we always trained ours before the birth not to go in or near cribs, car seats swings ect and practiced with a doll. I have never in my years of raising cats ever had a problem, you just have to make sure kitty knows not to go near baby

Mrs.Conlee
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

same here

Quoting ps.iloveyou:

I had a cat with my son and he never bothered him.

TabethaBeth
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I have heard of the cat jumping on a baby or clawing it to death ... I would just try and keep them at a distance for a while ... There is also some disease cats can carry but not have that can be passed on to the baby ... I have heard not sure .. Toxoplasmosis is the name ... I think that is why you are not supposed to change kitty litter while pregnant... NOT certain though

Petite.Amante
by on Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

The MYTH is the cat smells the milk on baby's face and tries to lick it off, causing baby to suffocate.

I had a cat with my daughter and never had a problem, but I made sure the cat stayed out of there when DD was sleeping/napping, just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)