Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! i dont know what to do!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Am I overracting? Is 50 a week enough to watch 2 kids full time?

Options:

yes

no

other-explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

ok, so heres the facts so you will understand my story..

I have a two year old named Aiden and am 17 weeks pregnant with my second.My husband tom Lost his job, so he is going to go back to school so he can get a better job, He starts classes July 6th from 8 am to 3 pm Mon-Thurs. Its about 45 mins to and from school..We needed some income, and one of my friends needed a baby sitter and I agreed..

We had never really talked about it much until today because she needed to talk with her hubby about how much to pay and what days she needed a sitter and such.. So she calls me today, she has a two year old and a four year old, She works 5 days a week- for 3 of those days I would have Both kids, and the other 2 days just the 4 yr old.. Untill July 9th, Then I would just have the two year old. Sounds great I know, Heres the part im having a problem with, Starting July 9th she wants me to watch her 2 year old from Sunday evening until Wednesday Afternoon-- Yes all night and day--- She will provide food,diapers and drinks BUT only wants to pay me 50$ a week!! IDK but  that seems unreal to me!! i have NEVER heard of Child care that cheap! So for two weeks I would have 3 Kids to watch, including my son, at 50$ bucks a week! I dont think thats fair do you? I mean, I agreed to watch her kids, but wow.. seems like ALOT of work for only 50 bucks.. I know she works alot and only gets paid Min, Wage and I want to help But I feel Like she is taking advantavge of me!! 

plus we only have one car, DH will be using it 4 of 5 days and I live NO WHERE near a park or anything and there is NO bus route..

What should I do.. How much should I charge?How do I explain without  being mean??

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunbun
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM

i really dont know i mean can she even afford anything more? do you need more? what is minimum wage where you are?

Mrsridley
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

its 7.25 an hour.. and yea, i mean for over night and everything!?? idk..

K3lly94
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I think thats not enough but she may not be able to pay more why dont you try seeing if she could payyo $75-$60 instead. Its not much more but alittle bit goes alng wya. I have been but only watching one kid day and night for weeks at a time why i was pregnant and getting like $40 a week.

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I babysat ONE little boy for $125 a week and THAT was cheap. And that was only for one kid, and I'm not licensed.

I would talk to her about it and see if there's anything more to do. If not, check into your human services department's daycare assistance. If she is working minimum wage and needs childcare they may pay most of it for her. It varies from county to county whether or not the provider has to be licensed. I live in Colorado and in the county I was living in a month ago the provider HAD to be licensed and operating withing their license requirements in order to qualify to be paid by Human Services. BUT I just moved an hour away into a different county and the provider can be a family member for all they care, as long as you are comfortable putting your child in that person's care.

So I would look into that because then even if SHE couldn't afford more than $50 a week, you'd at least be getting some more out of the state. Watching kids is hard, especially overnight, and $50 is not worth your trouble.

kirstensmommie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

at minimum wage for 24 hours is $174. I would watch 1 child over night 1 time for $50

Mrsridley
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I know she cant afford alot-- ill check into the state help.. Im pretty sure you have to be liscensed tho and Im not..

xxlilmomma09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Honestly, if this is all that she can pay right now, and you need some sort of income.. I would take it. Money is money.

ShannonRoth
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I pay someone $25 dollars a day to watch my dog when Im away and he is way less work. 

Mrsridley
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM

BUMP!

momof3jam
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM
Ouch tough situation. What I would do is ask her if she can afford to pay anything more, even just $75. I've worked minimum wage, and after taxes you're barely bringing anything home. A daycare for both of them would be at LEAST $100. If she can't, but you still want to help, have her bring food for them and leave a bag of toys there for the week. Food alone is going to eat up most of that $50. Good luck and I hope it all works out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)