Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you discipline your kids?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM
  • 5 Replies

How do you discipline your children at home and in public? I think that spanking is not the answer but my family says my child is spoiled rotten and that he is out of control. I have tried time out and I have tried the naughty chair and I have also tried calmly telling him what he did wrong and nothing is working... I am at the end of my rope!!! My family is always telling me I am a bad mother because of how my son acts... I dont know how to change it...

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
militarywife09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Well first off you are not a bad mother!!! I think all children have there own personalities and you just have to learn how to deal with their personality. I dont know your son, but I spank my DD, first I try reasoning and explaining, if that doesnt work then she gets a spanking or she goes in her room, or wherever any empty room is, and sits for awhile. That works for us, but dont let them make you believe you are a bad mom, you are not!!! You just dont know what to do with your son's personality. I hope someone give you better advice then I did lol.

armynursetoddler girla_25-1.png surviving deployment image esmith52323

Pregomommy255
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM

My son has been banned from my doctors office and he was sent to the behavioral health clinic because of this behavior and they didnt say anything... If I put my son in his room it punishes me because he destroys his room... then I have to help clean it up... I feel like a failure because I cant discipline my son very well... My husband is hardly ever home so when he is its like he doesnt want to discipline either... its going to drive me crazy because i have a baby on the way and I am 8 months pregnant and its only going to get worse I am afraid...

Quoting militarywife09:

Well first off you are not a bad mother!!! I think all children have there own personalities and you just have to learn how to deal with their personality. I dont know your son, but I spank my DD, first I try reasoning and explaining, if that doesnt work then she gets a spanking or she goes in her room, or wherever any empty room is, and sits for awhile. That works for us, but dont let them make you believe you are a bad mom, you are not!!! You just dont know what to do with your son's personality. I hope someone give you better advice then I did lol.

WLJ23
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM

You are not a bad mother! Disclipine is tough, and I don't know anyone who has it down to a science, lol. I am all about gentle discipline and positive reinforcement. My daughter is almost two years old and so far we haven't had any issues with her behavior thus far. She does get into things every now and then like any toddler, but instead of punishing her we never forget that she is new at this, and still learning. For example, not too long ago she grabbed ahold of the toilet paper and ran with it...all over the house! But instead of yelling at her and chunking her in time-out, I sit her down and explain to her (on her level) what she has done and why she can't do that. Then, we both clean up the mess together and she gets rewarded for being patient and helping to correct her mistake. To me, it's much more important to focus on the positive things she does, than to dwell on her mistakes. That's just what works for us right now, she is only a toddler so we're still new at this and who knows if this method will still be working in a few years. Just do what you know works, and don't get too discouraged. Good luck :)

toolmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM
Have you ever looked into 1-2-3 Magic? It's a parenting technique. You can probably check a book out from your library or they may even have the movies. It was very helpful with my oldest who has sensory processing disorder which for her causes some coping issues. GL, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissy8907
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:39 AM
I wish I was more like you :(

With my dd it seems hard she is very strong willed. I will try to put her in time out she run or I try to talk to her and she won't listen just yell over me what she wants. Sometimes I feel like I'm just giving in to whatever she wants :( sometimes I do get overwhelmed and spank her hand but she doesn't understand and most of the time just hits me back. I just think its a learning process and you just have to keep working at it to see what works for you:)

Quoting WLJ23:

You are not a bad mother! Disclipine is tough, and I don't know anyone who has it down to a science, lol. I am all about gentle discipline and positive reinforcement. My daughter is almost two years old and so far we haven't had any issues with her behavior thus far. She does get into things every now and then like any toddler, but instead of punishing her we never forget that she is new at this, and still learning. For example, not too long ago she grabbed ahold of the toilet paper and ran with it...all over the house! But instead of yelling at her and chunking her in time-out, I sit her down and explain to her (on her level) what she has done and why she can't do that. Then, we both clean up the mess together and she gets rewarded for being patient and helping to correct her mistake. To me, it's much more important to focus on the positive things she does, than to dwell on her mistakes. That's just what works for us right now, she is only a toddler so we're still new at this and who knows if this method will still be working in a few years. Just do what you know works, and don't get too discouraged. Good luck :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)