Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena (PIOG) Updated in blue

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so i have my pp appointment today at 1. And i've been thinking about getting the mirena. So i was wondering if any of you have gotten it  and can they put it in today or would they give me another appointment?

I went to the doctors they checked to make sure everything was ok. I told him i wanted to try the mirena. They have to clear it through my insurance first so they put me on the pill for 4 weeks. He told me to start taking them thursday. And when i go back he will put it in if its cleared.

I hope it work out for me because it seems like it's the most effective.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LSteckowski
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I have it...and love it!  They made another appt to put it in, cause they had to order it and everything...

keaton10
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Oh so they don't just keep it in the office they have to order it?

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM

It depends on your doctor. I'm pretty sure mine kept it in the office, but I also went to a University hospital which was a larger corporation. Smaller hospitals and offices may have to order it. I have had my Mirena for almost two years and I havent had any problems.

bamababe1975
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM

It depends on that office. Some will have your pre-appt and then appt for the actual insertion, and some will do it same day.

mommyof2prince
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM
I have it and hate it! But everyone is different so it may work for you well. I got mine the same day I went to talk about it,not sure if all doctors work that way GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moms.go.green22
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

i have it and i do NOT like it. idk what it is but it is very uncomfortable and i have an appt to get it taken out. i think it really just depends on you. i have heard lots of things about mirana, such as its hard to get prego after you get it taken out or if you do get prego with it there are health risks. not to mention my husband can feel it when we have sex! i can even feel it sometimes! makes me turned off alot. what im saying is i think you should try it but if it just isnt working for you dont be afraid to call your dr and get it out.

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Most of the problems associated with Mirena are problems that are associated with almost all birth control.

If your husband can feel it then the strings were not cut short enough...either that or he is huge. Lol. Also the strings are supposed to soften over time so they become less noticeable. Idk how long you've had it though.

If it is uncomfortable it may have been placed wrong. There are many different scenarios. But I like that you suggested that she still try it and see if it does work for her. Because it's true that one BC may be perfect for one woman but disasterous for another. Each of us is different with a different body so there's no telling how you will react until you try it.

Quoting moms.go.green22:

i have it and i do NOT like it. idk what it is but it is very uncomfortable and i have an appt to get it taken out. i think it really just depends on you. i have heard lots of things about mirana, such as its hard to get prego after you get it taken out or if you do get prego with it there are health risks. not to mention my husband can feel it when we have sex! i can even feel it sometimes! makes me turned off alot. what im saying is i think you should try it but if it just isnt working for you dont be afraid to call your dr and get it out.

vboatner
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I have had it, and it didnt work out for me. I got PG on it(which is VERY RARE) DH is just VERY fertile. LOL. I had a MC after. And I was able to get PG again right after it was taken out(technically 4 mo).

My sister has had hers for over 3 years now, and had NEVER had a problem with it. I also have several friends who have it, who have not had any problems with it. Both mine and my sis's were put in the same day we went to talk about it.

BAMBAMmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Remember to take your pill at the exact same time every day and PLEASE if you are going to have sex wear a condom while you are on the pill. I was told that even minutes off can put off your bc and you can get pregnant.

Mirena is pretty expensive and a newer form of BC. So most insurances are still in the iffy stage of whether or not its something they should cover.But the good news is that it is more common and has been around for a little while so insurances are starting to come around! (if you have medicaid count on them to cover it ;) they like people on BC)

keaton10
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Oh trust me i'm going to take my bc how i'm supposed to. I DO NOT need another baby right now. Mines only 6 weeks. And then it looks like i'm getting the mirena lol. Thanks for the info ladies

Quoting BAMBAMmommy:

Remember to take your pill at the exact same time every day and PLEASE if you are going to have sex wear a condom while you are on the pill. I was told that even minutes off can put off your bc and you can get pregnant.

Mirena is pretty expensive and a newer form of BC. So most insurances are still in the iffy stage of whether or not its something they should cover.But the good news is that it is more common and has been around for a little while so insurances are starting to come around! (if you have medicaid count on them to cover it ;) they like people on BC)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)