Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Youth is ignorance?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM
  • 34 Replies

It really bothers me when people speak to me about my pregnancy like I know absolutely nothing about it simply because I'm young... First off, I would like to say that I absolutely love my OB because she knows that I love to research and learn about my pregnancy. She doesn't talk down to me as if I am ignorant about what's going on with my body just because I'm young. But I have some family members that do just that!!!! My mom lets me learn and research on my own. She doesn't butt in and tell me things unless I ask her advice, and I very strongly admire her for that. Who else feels like this? Am I the only one? I just turned 18 on 8.26, and am sick of being treated like I'm stupid. I've always been the type of person who never wanted to stop learning. And not to brag, but I strongly believe that I know a lot for my age. Especially about what's going on with MY OWN body. Come and discuss how you feel about this.

baby
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashelynn_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM

BUMP!

tangleballlover
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I think that people just assume if you're young and pregnant, you are stupid. I, for one, was a straight A student in school (in Honors and AP courses) and I read everything and anything I could on pregnancy and babies and toddlers, etc. I wanted to be informed.

Just ignore all that...the unsolicited advice will never end, I promise. I'm 21 and still hear it. (I had my first at 18, second at 19).

Ashelynn_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Quoting tangleballlover:

I think that people just assume if you're young and pregnant, you are stupid. I, for one, was a straight A student in school (in Honors and AP courses) and I read everything and anything I could on pregnancy and babies and toddlers, etc. I wanted to be informed.

Just ignore all that...the unsolicited advice will never end, I promise. I'm 21 and still hear it. (I had my first at 18, second at 19).

I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I hate when people assume. I wouldn't walk up to someone and say something I thought about them if it may offend them. I find it very offensive when someone talks to me like I don't know anything about pregnancy. Thanks for your comment, hun! (:

baby
mommy2dallas602
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM
i so agree. I hate hate HATE when people think they know my son better than me. I've been told to let my 3 month old CIO! And it was worse when i was pregnant. They thought every labor was the same obviously lol even people who did not have c sections thought they knew everything about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstn007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM

get used to it. people did that to me, it doesnt end at pregnancy..you will be ready to punch someone once the baby comes. everyone will tell you something its super f***ing annoying!

Ashelynn_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Quoting mommy2dallas602:

i so agree. I hate hate HATE when people think they know my son better than me. I've been told to let my 3 month old CIO! And it was worse when i was pregnant. They thought every labor was the same obviously lol even people who did not have c sections thought they knew everything about it.

I know!! Thanks hun!

baby
Ashelynn_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Quoting kirstn007:

get used to it. people did that to me, it doesnt end at pregnancy..you will be ready to punch someone once the baby comes. everyone will tell you something its super f***ing annoying!

Oh, I know it's not going to end at pregnancy, lol! I already want to punch some people in the face, hahaha. Wish I actually could though! Thanks. (:

baby
LoveBnANavyWife
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Yes, and it's acutally my family too who does it. Because I'm right here at the end I will say I have some pains or something and they freaking out because they think I need to go in and get checked? I'm like ok, I know MY OWN BODY, I will go in and they will say "it's normal" and send me home.. And also other people in general too, like I highlighted and dyed my hair and some people said something, and it's when in fact THEY'RE THE IGNORANT ONES, because I researched the hard facts, and read in a baby magazine it's okay, most better out of the first trimester. Ahh people these days, and it makes me bitchy and I speak my mind and stand up for myself, and then supposdly i'm a rude moody pregnany hormonal person, when really i'm not. :)

YOU'RE NOT ALONE lol

armywife8890
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM
I became a mom at 15 almost 16. I knew a lot about pregnancy because I watched my mom throughout her pregnancies with my brothers. I did get talked down a lot but I didn't care because that person doesn't know me. I have seen 2 babies born before I had my son. I wasn't clueless but I did ask my mom for advice when I was pregnant. Now I am 20 years old with a 4 year old son and expecting my second child. I have been married for almost 3 years. No one thinks I am 20 because I grew up so quickly. I haven't had rude or degrading comments thrown at me in years. I don't care what other people think of me because I know that I'm in a great place in life and loving it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashelynn_Marie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Quoting LoveBnANavyWife:

Yes, and it's acutally my family too who does it. Because I'm right here at the end I will say I have some pains or something and they freaking out because they think I need to go in and get checked? I'm like ok, I know MY OWN BODY, I will go in and they will say "it's normal" and send me home.. And also other people in general too, like I highlighted and dyed my hair and some people said something, and it's when in fact THEY'RE THE IGNORANT ONES, because I researched the hard facts, and read in a baby magazine it's okay, most better out of the first trimester. Ahh people these days, and it makes me bitchy and I speak my mind and stand up for myself, and then supposdly i'm a rude moody pregnany hormonal person, when really i'm not. :)

YOU'RE NOT ALONE lol

Lol!!! Thank youu!!!!! Good to know I'm not alone!!! (:

baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)