Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rhogam shot is it safe ?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM
  • 29 Replies

Im a first time mom as you can see im 19yrs old and my doctor told me i have blood type  -O  and my baby is or would be a +O and that if i dont take it at 28wks i wouldn't be able to have another baby? I'm just very worried for my doctor didn't provide me with any information and since i been pregnant i been prescripted meds for UTIs and i just took them without researching then as i got futher along and started researching i been  ALOT more cautious of what im around,next to, eat and breathe i want my son to come out as healthy as can be .I'm sorry but my concern is there anyone out there who has taken Rhogam shot at 28wks and had a healthy baby no problems ? Ive only heard so much bad feedback i was thinking i would decline then shot while I'm pregnant until i give birth which there suppose to give it to me then anyways what do you guys think?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverInLove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM
I had it with my son. I'm fine and my son is fine.

I had it after I had him as well.

I am now 36weeks pregnant with my daughter, and I've taken it.

If you don't get it, there is a possibility of your body rejecting any future babies. Your blood form antibodies against the babies blood and essentially kills the baby resulting in a 'miscarriage'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM

You NEED that shot hun. Women get that shot everyday and deliver healthy babies. If you don't receive that shot, you body can actually begin to attack the baby inside of you if I am not mistaken that can cause harm.

Also, if you have been having UTIs during your pregnancy, you NEED to take your antibiotics as well, as UTIs during pregnancy can cause severe complications if left untreated. I have to take antibiotics for repeart UTIs during my pregnancies. I have two healthy children at home, and expecting my third baby very soon, and so far she seems healthy as well.

1.hot.mama2005
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhogam

tangleballlover
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

You NEED that shot hun. Women get that shot everyday and deliver healthy babies. If you don't receive that shot, you body can actually begin to attack the baby inside of you if I am not mistaken that can cause harm.

Anyone who is RH- needs it at, I believe, 26 weeks. And then within 48 hours of delivery if your child is RH+

I'm RH- (my blood type is A-), so I got the shot during both of my pregnancies and after I had my DD.

Here's some info on RH type :)

http://www.babycenter.com/0_blood-test-for-rh-status-and-antibody-screen_1480.bc

Amanda904
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I had the shot during my pregnancy w/ my twins and they came out just fine.
Get the shot, you and your baby will be fine. 

sammi_chance07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM

It is very important that you get the shot...ESPECIALLY if you are planning on having future children. It is very rare that it will affect this baby...but if your child does turn out to be Rh+...it could have a MAJOR affect on any future pregnancies. The antibodies most likely form at birth and when you conceive another baby, the antibodies will attack it. I am O+, so I didn't need it, but my cousin has done it with both of her pregnancies. Good luck, and my advice is to make sure to get it on time and when needed!

mommy2dallas602
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM
Yes get it for future childrens sake. I got it and me and my son are perfectly healthy. I'm O- too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine_07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM

i think my boyfriends sister has that rh- or whatever and shes pregnat due in dec but she has never said anything about having to get a shot. should i bring it up to her??

erika_wright
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM

i have never known anyone to have negative effects from the shot. its much safer for you, your baby, and any future children to take the shot at 28 weeks. i have had 2 children and got the rhogam shot a total of 4 times, whith no negative side effects to me or either of my children.

Wife to Jerry 5/19/07, mommy to Elliot 12/18/07, and Blaine 7/08/10.

erika_wright
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM

her octor will for sure if she is rh-. so i wouldnt worry too much.

Quoting Justine_07:

i think my boyfriends sister has that rh- or whatever and shes pregnat due in dec but she has never said anything about having to get a shot. should i bring it up to her??

Wife to Jerry 5/19/07, mommy to Elliot 12/18/07, and Blaine 7/08/10.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)