Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there an average cost for a pediatric dentist check-up?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

If there is, can you tell me how much it is? Adrian has had this light brown stuff on a few of his teeth for about a month or two now. I'm very forgetful and keep forgetting to call and make an appointment with his pediatrician. We have health insurance but with our policy, we have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed for dental appointments. This is why Adrian hasn't ever been to the dentist. There's a history of toddler tooth decay in my family and I'm worried the brown stuff on Adrian's teeth is the beginning stages of it. Sorry, I kinda rambled. If you could give me advice, that'd be wonderful! If you don't know, at least give me a BUMP please!

Here's a picture of it. I brush his teeth every night as thoroughly as I can since he doesn't like to cooperate. It's on the top and bottom "canine" teeth and along the top and bottom gumline of his six front teeth.

by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM
There are all kinds of free coupons around my area.

And there is a school for assistants where you can get a cleaning for 25 bucks.

That is all I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolenew
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Yea I have no clue what so ever because my son has never been (its about that time I'm sure tho). I wouldn't think more than 85 tho.
Kayere
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Just call them and ask. Theyll be able to tell you about how much it is. I'd definitely go and get it checked out though. The first dentist appointment should be around 1 yo.

mommab679
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM

We dont have dental insurance on our medical insurance and I called and it was 280 for a cleaning the cheapest i found was 190. Needless to say im getting dental insurance for the family instead its cheaper.

NearSeattleMom
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM

I'd start calling around.  The longer you wait, the worse the repairs might be.

hotmamajess07
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM
We were told first appointment should be at 3...maybe its dentists in your area and they can handle them...we had to take zavier to a "regular" dentist for his cleaning and since he has a cavity we have to go to a pediatric dentist over an hour away

Quoting Kayere:

Just call them and ask. Theyll be able to tell you about how much it is. I'd definitely go and get it checked out though. The first dentist appointment should be around 1 yo.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayere
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Q. When should my child first see a dentist?

"First visit by first birthday" sums it up. Your child should visit a pediatric dentist when the first tooth comes in, usually between 6 and 12 months of age. This visit will establish a dental home for your child. Early examination and preventive care will protect your child’s smile now and in the future."

http://www.aapd.org/publications/brochures/babycare.asp

The first birthday thing is the recommendation. And we have tons of pediatric dentists around us. There is even one liek 10 minutes away. I have to drive an hour away to go to one that will allow me back in the room with my son. All of the dentists here expect you to just let them take your child back there, alone, and be fine with it. I actually had quite a few of them get rude with me over the phone when I was calling around to find one. But then I also have to drive over 45 minutes away for my son's pedi too to find a decent one.. nothing around me seems to be very good : /  But i can def understand it sucking to have to drive an hour away for dentists/doctors.

Quoting hotmamajess07:

We were told first appointment should be at 3...maybe its dentists in your area and they can handle them...we had to take zavier to a "regular" dentist for his cleaning and since he has a cavity we have to go to a pediatric dentist over an hour away

Quoting Kayere:

mommy2dallas602
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Quoting Kayere:

This! Goodluck though! I hope he isn't getting tooth decay

1.hot.mama2005
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I don't know. All you can do is call and ask. I hope his teeth are ok. Good luck!

ATG499
by Wendy on Feb. 3, 2011 at 6:16 PM
Thank you, ladies. I will definitely call around and ask. I just wanted to see if anyone on here knew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)