Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Under 15.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM
  • 77 Replies

Do you think kids under the age of 15 should have a laptop, cell phone, or FB?

I know a few family members who do this with their younger children.
My cousin let her 9 year old have a FB, and I was shocked. I don't think that a child that young should have something like that. Nor should they have a cell phone. What does a 9 year old need a cell phone for? She is now 11, just turned 11, so I can see why she has one now. But not at 9. And her dad bought her a latop for Christmas. To me, she doesn't need a laptop, but as far as I know, it's kept up, and she's not allowed on the laptop unless a grown up is sitting by her, watching what she's doing. And her mother has complete control of her FB.

But I just don't agree with it. But not my child.

What are your thoughts?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graciepaige
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:12 PM
My 9yr old neice has a cell phone. After school she has to be alone for about 30 mins before her brother gets home. They dont have a homephone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1st_time_mom789
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 14. My first laptop when I was 18. DD won't be getting any of these things until she's is about the same age.

Cheeks09
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM

yeah... NO my child will not have any of those things at the age of  9!! prob not 11 either.. Unless its a need..

AddisonsMommy12
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I got my first cellphoen when I was 14, but it was a Tracfone, and guess who paid for it? I did, I learned real quick how to save my minutes and my money. I would need about 25 bucks every two weeks for my minutes. So I knew I had to save about 30 bucks for it. No one would pay for my minutes. When I was pregnant, I still had the same phone, and the only reason my mom bought the minutes for me then was because I was pregnant and in case I had gone out. And for when I Was in the hostipal.

I got my own computer when I was 15, because of doing cyber school. But I got my first laptop at 16. And I went about two years with out a laptop.

I don't think anyone under the age of 15 need things like that.

ambiibooxo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM
my first cell I was 10 I had a computer at 9. but it was a family computer. my mom n dad always knew what website I was on and what friends I called. I was always open til I had my first boyfriend at 12
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rydersmom95
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM

my 9 year old sister has facebook, ipod, and a laptop....why does a nine year old need all that?!!? i don't think 9 is a good age i am going to do what my mom did, when my child/children stat getting off the bus alone (if they ever) they they will get a cell phone only for calls not for texting! and that won't be until 10 or 11! but as for facebook NO! and laptop NO if they want to use the computer then they can use the family computer or something! i know it will be  different time then now but still thats what i believe in lol

AddisonsMommy12
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

That's sad Amber. Sorry. But Addison will not be having a computer at the age of 9, I don't care if it's a family computer or not! She can use my laptop with my parental controls on it, and thats it. And if she wants a cell phone, she can pay for it!

And I'd be damned if my daughter had a boyfriend at 12.

Nena09alc
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

cell phone it all depends. i got one when i was in the 7th grade.

i think they should have one if at any point they need to be alone during the day.

as for lab tops and FB my daughter is not getting one until she is 14.

Brianna14991
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

My parents allowed me to have a cell phone at 9 but for emergencies only or if I needed to get a hold of them, but I didn't get any web site access til I was 15

AddisonsMommy12
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM

If that's what you want, then you could always buy a cheap phone, and get a basic landline for about 20 bucks a month.

There's no way in hell, that even if Addison had to get off the bus alone, she's getting a cell phone. I don't care how much times have changed. At 11-12, I was able to get off the bus alone, and walk two blocks home and be home for about an hour alone. Well we weren't alone, my grandpa was in the basement, but that man was always down there, and didn't care. If we left, we just had to tell him that we were leaving. My brother who is only two years older then me would get me and younger brother off the bus if my grandmother or mother couldn't.

Quoting Rydersmom95:

my 9 year old sister has facebook, ipod, and a laptop....why does a nine year old need all that?!!? i don't think 9 is a good age i am going to do what my mom did, when my child/children stat getting off the bus alone (if they ever) they they will get a cell phone only for calls not for texting! and that won't be until 10 or 11! but as for facebook NO! and laptop NO if they want to use the computer then they can use the family computer or something! i know it will be  different time then now but still thats what i believe in lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)