Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8th Graders Take Field Trip to Hooters (sfts)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM
  • 25 Replies

Hooters Is a Perfectly Acceptable Place for Kids (According to These Parents)

When I think 8th graders-- 12 and 13-year-olds full of hormones and silliness -- I do not immediately think of Hooters restaurant -- the one known for owls with eyes that look like breasts and busty waitresses in skimpy attire. But one 8th grade class in Pennsylvaniaand their chaperones thought the two went together just fine. 

Following a field trip to the aquarium in Baltimore, the adult, co-ed chaperones took chunks of the 100-person field trip to different restaurants, one of which was Hooters. Yes, Hooters.

Now, I love a scantily clad woman as much as the next person, but time and place my friends. And the afternoon with a group of hormonal tweens ain't it.

Surprisingly, no parents complained about the trip to Hooters, though had my son or daughter been on the field trip, they would have heard from at least one!

Maybe they thought it was OK or no big deal for the kids to see such things. The truth is, it probably does not hurt them in some fundamental way. But everything children do tells them something about the world at large and going to a restaurant like Hooters implies that it is OK -- funny, even -- to objectify women.

This is not a lesson I want my kids learning young. It is not that I expect them to be saints or to never engage in things like strip clubs or Hooters or their ilk. But I do expect that when it happens, it will be at a time when I can explain it to them. Thirteen is not that time.

The kids may not have even noticed and Hooters does bill itself as a family establishment, but I call BS on that. If they were a family establishment, they would hire professional looking waitresses. Adults can come and go, but my children will not be going at 13 and I certainly do not expect their school o take them without asking me.

Do you think this is appropriate?

Ok, not exactly a class trip, but it made you look. So, what are your thoughts on this? Would you bed mad if you learned that your 8th grader had been taken to Hooters after a field trip? 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaroGreenly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Here is a link to the story in The Stir.

tyanneS
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM
I don't think I would be ok with that.... I have no real problem with the place but I don't think schools should be encouraging that. I have personally never been and probably wont because my DH doesn't like his "hot wings with boob sweat." haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Quoting tyanneS:

I don't think I would be ok with that.... I have no real problem with the place but I don't think schools should be encouraging that. I have personally never been and probably wont because my DH doesn't like his "hot wings with boob sweat." haha

lol...nice. I have never been. I have no problem with Hooters. I'm even more ok with it since seeing the owner on Undercover Boss. Just seeing how mad he got when one of his managers was a total dick to the girls, made me respect it a little more.

jcelis
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:16 AM

I saw that too and I respect him for standing up for his employees like that. I've never been to Hooters so I can't say for sure how I would feel if my kid went there post-field trip but it's painted in such a bad light that I can't help but only imagining accentuated boobies when I think about the place.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Quoting tyanneS:

lol...nice. I have never been. I have no problem with Hooters. I'm even more ok with it since seeing the owner on Undercover Boss. Just seeing how mad he got when one of his managers was a total dick to the girls, made me respect it a little more.

JayBearsmomma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM
I cnt say because I have never been there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolyntx
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM
Id first off be upset that my child was taken to a place that's so obviously an adult atmosphere type restaurant and secondly because my child was taken to a place known for its boobs, and beer more than food. I know now days its difficult to avoid restaurants that sell alcohol but in this case its not a family restaurant that happens to sell alcohol its more a bar that happens to sell food which is not acceptable for my child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle-Lo-La
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

i don't think it would bother me since my son will probably be going there with me and his father. They usually have their 'B' staff on duty during the day anyways. food is food regardless who serves it.. unless they are flat out nakie lol. If the parent's had no problem with it, I don't think anyone else should.

KaroGreenly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM
The question was, would you be mad if your child was taken to hooters? Just because these parents weren't upset doesn't mean much to our discussion, KWIM?

Quoting Danielle-Lo-La:

i don't think it would bother me since my son will probably be going there with me and his father. They usually have their 'B' staff on duty during the day anyways. food is food regardless who serves it.. unless they are flat out nakie lol. If the parent's had no problem with it, I don't think anyone else should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle-Lo-La
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I replied that I didn't think it would bother me. It wouldn't be the first or the last time he would be going there so there would be no issue what-so-ever. kwim?

Quoting KaroGreenly:

The question was, would you be mad if your child was taken to hooters? Just because these parents weren't upset doesn't mean much to our discussion, KWIM?

Quoting Danielle-Lo-La:

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM
This...they are fully clothed. Plus, what they wear (as far as "it doesnt cover much") isnt anything less you'll see at a pool..They aren't running around naked!!! It shouldnt be the school that gets punished, it's the "chaperones" lol their hot wings are YUMMY!!!

Quoting Danielle-Lo-La:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)