Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural labor isn't getting a gold star?- VENT

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM
  • 44 Replies

I'm a natural labor and natural birthing mom, and I take a lot of pride in that so, It peeves me when I talk to other women about my birth story and they reply with saying rude things like "why would you labor naturally when you don't have to?" or "you're crazy!" and they say these things with an attitude as if they are disgusted because I don't believe in epidurals for my own personal reasons. There is a 70-90% epidural rate in the united states alone. Every hospital across the united states falls somwhere between 70-90% I read an article online today entitled "Natural labor isn't getting a gold star" and it was about "epidural moms" and how they hate natural laboring moms because they say that we only do it for "bragging rights." I am totally offended and think that it is utterly ridiculous! Quite frankly, most of us who do labor naturally, do it not only for ourselves, but for the health of our babies as well. That's the number one priority on our list and If doing so allows me to have bragging rights, then sign me up anyday! You can call me a bragger or call me whatever you want but I'm not a cheater, and I would never cheat myself out of the wonderful bonding experience that comes along with a natural labor and delivery just because I have the option to, and that's where I stand. bow down

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keaton10
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM
I think its amazing that you went all natural! I plan on doing that the next time i have a baby! I had an epi with my first and wish i didnt at times but my doctor kind of pushed me into it. I think you have bragging rights and good for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tylersmommy42
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I am an epidural mom, but I admire moms like you, cause you have the "balls" to do such a hard and stressful thing. You are so strong, and should think that every time another mom says such hurtful and stupid things to you.

HizzPrincess
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM
i had my daughter 100% natural as well. Forget what everyone else has to say!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

i had an epi with my first, loved it! my dd was natural, loved it!!! except for the burning crotch fire, i would do it again. i wanted the epi with my dd but she came too fast, 2 hours, from start to finish and the dude who did the epi's was in another procedure. im kinda glad, it hurt like a mother, but im glad i didn't so know both sides. 

k.garza
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM
I would love to be able to birth naturally but im a csection momma but who cares what others think i was like it hurts mom when i had my dd lol she laughed bc my contractions just started but after pushing i had to have a csection...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloJenni
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quoting keaton10:

I think its amazing that you went all natural! I plan on doing that the next time i have a baby! I had an epi with my first and wish i didnt at times but my doctor kind of pushed me into it. I think you have bragging rights and good for you!

Thank you! =) and I have nothing against any woman who gets an epidural, but the majority of them tend to dislike people like me, and that's one reason why I don't really like to share my birth story because I get really weird and rude reactions sometimes. I completely understand that women have complications and have to get epidurals, every woman labors differently, but I too hope that you get to experiece a natural labor like you'd like to. It's such a rewarding experience, you can't really put it into words =]

JayBearsmomma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Way to go. I wish I could have done in naturally but I was induced and was lacking oxygen so it was either and epi or a c section. I chose and epi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovin.my.boys
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I had both my boys without any type of pain meds (the first I had pitocin to induce, the 2nd the cervadil alone induced me). I didn't do it to prove anything or to get any kind of "bragging rights" but it honestly didn't hurt that much.

Nicolenew
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM
I think that article is a load of crap!!!! I feel its just propaganda! I mean if you think that moms who have unmedicated births only do it for bragging rights then you're a simple mf in my eyes. I'm an unmedicated "epidural mom" and I don't think this at all. I say unmedicated epidural mom because I wanted an epidural with everything in me, but both my children were born without one. The first I got the epidural catheter put in, but it was never started (no pain meds and on pitocin.... rough time). The second I just wasn't in any pain so it was really pointless to get one. Anytime someone would say they went med free, id cringe and frown up my face only because I was imagining the pain they went through. Its assinine to think that and I wish ppl would get over it if that's how they feel. Its a choice that we all make and its as simple as that. Some ppl can't take pain... some can.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloJenni
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Quoting lovin.my.boys:

I had both my boys without any type of pain meds (the first I had pitocin to induce, the 2nd the cervadil alone induced me). I didn't do it to prove anything or to get any kind of "bragging rights" but it honestly didn't hurt that much.

That's awesome! =)

I was given pitocin as well when my contractions stalled, it was originally supposed to be an induction but I went into labor a few days before. I had it for 6 hours and still pushed through without an epidural. The contractions got really strong, but It wasn't anything too bad. The double peaks really sucked though! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)