Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welfare and public assistance

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 92 Replies
I am not an American, but I live here now, this is where my husband is from. Now, where I'm from, if a person can't afford the children they have, they do not have more. But apparently that is very common here and somethin that many do. But it seems to be a way of life for some young moms. Obviously not all, but many. My question is, are you one of those? A young mom on PA who has more and more kids? And why is that so acceptable here? I am 20, my husband is 35, and he makes 230,000 a year, so we can easily afford our children. But if we couldn't, I would not be 23 weeks pregnant. It just doesn't make sense to me that women have kids when they can't afford the ones they have. But I guess that's an american thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toughnsweet
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM
I know and I completely agree. It's selfish to have more kids when you are on PA and can't pay for the kids you have. I am 23, my husband is 38, and he is an MD and makes $380,000 a year. We can quite easily afford our children. If we couldn't, like you, we wouldn't have them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiesmommy1109
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM
Amen! I totally agree with you! For some reason the real reason for welfare has been lost. Welfare was made to HELP people in the depression and now get back onto their feet. It is not a free ride for the rest of your life. Too many people think it's the easy way out and live off of the tax payees dollars!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CharmedP
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM
It is not an American thing, it is a selfish people thing. Like you and the PP, I'm a younger mom with a slightly older husband, I'm 22, he's 33. He makes between $300,000 and $370,000 every year, depending on how many clients he is given, he works for a private firm. We have two boys and twins on the way and if we couldn't afford everything completely on our own, we certainly would not be having more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenlybliss19
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Wow.  Way to bash America there, hun.  And yes, I am "one of THOSE" moms.  I'm 23 years old, my husband only makes 15,000/yr, despite how good of a cook he is, and I am on WIC, food stamps, and my daughter and I both recieve medicaid.

yes, I will have more kids when we're ready.  Ya know, you really shouldn't bash other moms for their way of life.  

Congrats, your husband makes good money.  Be happy for yourself, don't go and try to make other moms feel unworthy of their kids and happiness.

I'm proud to live in a country where a woman has the right to keep her kids and receive help if she needs it.  You don't know everyone else's situations, so I'd suggest learning to keep your foot out of your mouth.

addiesmommy1109
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Wow you guys are very lucky to have such successful husbands! We make about 85-90,000 a year but we also live in a very small area in Illinois so where we live we are very well off, especially for 20 and 22.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenlybliss19
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

And we don't "live off the state".  If we don't need it, we don't use it.  If we can afford to pay for groceries, bills, diapers, and clothes - we will and not take anymore help.  The welfare program is there TO HELP.  It's just so nice to know that so many of you can sit on your high horses because you can't seem to understand that your way of life isn't the ONLY way of life.

Mikkinew
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM
I completely agree. Having more kids on welfare is a very selfish move. But as a PP said, it is there right to live off the government. I'm 20, have never been on welfare, my husband is 34, and a lawyer. He makes 30k-50k a month, depending on how many cases he has. We have plenty saved up just in case and I am pregnant with our first.
Welfare is there to help people, not as a permanent source of income. I myself am far to proud to stay on it just to have more kids. One child I understand, though I wouldn't want to do it myself. But more? I wouldn't and I can't understand those who do, but yeah, it is their right. Just like it is our right to say what we think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alleycat_2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM
I'm going to give my opinion and that's that. I am on public assistance not to abuse it but becuase I really need it. My husband works and is able to afford the rent and the bills but we don't have enough money to buy food. All his checks go to rent. I am not ashamed to be on PA. I dont have a lot of kids. Just two. No they were not planned but I wasn't going to abort them because I didn't have the money to care for them. I didn't get on PA until my ds was born. Hopefully soon I will be able to provide better for my family and not have to get govt assistance. Not all girls are selfish and just have babies to get welfare. Some people fight to stay on welfare and some fight to get off. And I am someone who is trying to get off of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayere
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Not everyone has children planned. Would you suggest we get abortions just because our children are on medicaid? Or because we get WIC? Or because we need medicaid to help pay for the thousands of dollars it takes to be pregnant or have a child? Oops, I'm pregnant, I guess because I don't have the money to pay for everything myself I suddenly can not love a child as much as someone else who has enough money.

I do get help. I get medicaid when I'm pregnant to pay the medicial bills. I'm on food stamps right now because I had to quit working at about 25 weeks pregnant or risk losing my beautiful son and his father decided he didn't want him. And that same son is on medicaid. My first son is not on medicaid. I'm a single mother who works and goes to school full time. I'm not sitting on my ass popping out kids so I can get a hand out. I work my butt off.

It's not SELFISH that I have my children. I love them more than anything in the world and I am lucky to have them in my life but accidents happen. I love my children and do the best I can, just because I dont have a guy providing for me in any way doesn't mean my children aren't cared for and loved.

addiesmommy1109
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM
I have absolutely no problem with people who receive pa for the right reasons. What i do have a problem with is the people that live off of it for their whole lives, continue to have children who will 90% of the time grow up to do the same thing, and make no effort to make their situations better. Instead of getting more schooling or training for s better job they take the easy way out. I understand that we are in a tough economy right now and lots of people are out of work but sometimes you have to put that little extra effort in to make it better. And use the welare for the RIGHT reasons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)