Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reactions to Teen Mothers

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM
  • 55 Replies

So just the other day I met my friends new girlfriend and she brought along her younger siblings. We went to the mall and she told me how she liked to make it look like her siblings are her kids to see people's reactions cause she thinks it's funny. So I sat her down and gave her a serious talk about how being a teen mom is not funny and how she shouldn't make a joke about it. When people react to me being a teen mom, it's not funny. A majority of the time their just straight mean! Well according to her I just can't take a joke and that "Being a teen mom isn't hard. The one's on the MTV show make it look easy" T_T At which point I told her she was stupid and walked away. Was I wrong? How would you react? And how do people react to you being a teen mom? 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilDzMamma2010
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM
I would have smacked her ...I'm a teen mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffani_qt2001
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Yeah That is frustrating! I am not technically a teen mom, I got pregnant at 19 and had my daughter at 20. I look like I'm in high school though lol So I get the reactions that alot of teen moms get. People have scoffed and even told me I am way too young to have a child (before they even ask how old I am!)
mommy2011.2012
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I definately know what you mean... I graduated highschool and went directly into Real Estate before having my first..(i was pregnant during real estate school)..so I'm still fairly young(19). But when I go somewhere with my 7 month old and people look at me they dont even give me the opportunity to say anything before they judge me. They have no clue I graduated school with honors..I passed one of the hardests tests in the U.S to become a real estate agent, that I pay for my own baby's clothes and diapers and food, or that im still with the father of my child and we have been dating for almost 3 years. The peoples looks are sooo cruel nowadays. I understand that the world is hard but you shouldnt judge people based on their age. I also know that its girls like your friend who makes us look bad in the public eye..that do it for kicks and pleasure just to see peoples reactions. It's not fair to us who are trying hard to show others that our lives arent TEEN MOM. I dont get paid 60,000 a year to pretend to play mommy. If those girls on teen mom would have never been casted they probably would have given up their kids or struggled just like the rest of us. No you didnt over react its about time someone shed light on how being a young mom really is. :)))

mommy2011.2012
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

yeah its the same here with me :))

Sara52
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Girls like that have no idea what they are talking about! That makes me so mad i would have probably said a few not so nice things. I was 17 when i got pregnant. I finished high school, i worked full time went to college full time. I bought my own house at 18. I worked my butt off and i struggled. At first i got nasty looks and people looking at me like i was nothing but a whore. When i was pregnant was the worst. People that worked with my boyfriend yelled at him for getting a 14 year old knocked up! I was 18 by that time!!! I am told i look 16. In high school people were nasty to me called me a whore and that they were surpized that a good girl would turn so bad. But i also had friends that had kids so it was a little easier.

People don't look at me diffrent they just say i look like a kid and that i look 16. But wearing a wedding ring and having my husband with me people don't look at me like that anymore. Like you look 16 but you're married so its okay. That is sooo stupid.

mommy2dallas602
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Oooh wow. Id have a few choice words for her. Ignorance is all it is. Once she becomes a mom she will understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovealot0587
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I would have reacted the same way... being a mom is hard and can be even harder when you are a teen mom, most people do not realize it bc of all the shows on TV that make it look so easy. I let people think whatever they want, first off they do not know me or my situation and why I had kids at a young age. MOst of the time I get looked at bc I look younger than what I actually am and my dd could prob pass as my lil sister.

Nerdy0406
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Exactly! I'm 18 and I have people come up and tell me I'm to young to have kids and call me horrible names. People assume being a teen mom makes you a bad mom but that's not the case at all! I put my son before anything else and work my butt off to take care of him because I love him so much! People who pretend to be teen moms just give us a bad rap! And hearing a girl saying see likes to pretend to be a teen mom because it's 'funny' is almost insulting!

Miss.Lena.1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM
That show ppl see it these days they think it's easy. Forgetting its tv they do not show everything. I'm a teen mom and it is hard to keep my sanity somedays. Take tonight for example i couldn't wait for my mom to come home so i could take a break i felt like i was gonna explode i was so frustrated.

I remember when she was 4 months and iderby out to eat w/ my mom and her friend. The table across the room kept glancing over at me when i was holding her it made me so irritated i was like what am i a freak show now? people are so judgmental these days it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. They think were slutty and stuff but I have only slept with one guy and we were together for two years and he left me. I would have acted the exact same way. Everything looks easier when your not the one who actually has to do it. Its not like babysitting you don't get to go home you don't get paid you barely get to leave without them. It's a nightmare somedays but i wouldn't give it up for anything. All the good times outweigh the bad and somehow you just live with it.
whitleypittman
by Whitley on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM

you were so not wrong. the girls on the MTV show are paid to act the way they do. alot of people don't know that i'm only 19 and in my town, it's common to have a two year old at my age (thank god i don't tho.) you're friends new girlfriend need to grow up. she obviously can't separate tv fantasy from reality.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)