• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diaper cake?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

Does anyone know how to make a diaper cake? I am planning on making one for my SIL baby shower and would like to do it without her helping, i mean it is her shower so she shouldnt have to help make it. I just feel bad bc i am not as creative as she is and do not have the time that she does... I also feel like that my MIL is doing so much more for her than she did for my shower...

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom_of_Grace
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Roll the diaper up like a swiss cake roll, then tape it that way, so it won't come apart. Place a certain amount of diapers standing up in a circle (until you have the size you want) and tie a ribbon around it to keep them together. Do the same, but a smaller circle for the next layer. If you want more layers just keep making smaller circles as you go up. You will want to have each layer on some sort of base (like a piece of cardboard), so you will be able to move them to stack them. Once you have however many layers you want, then decorate it with baby stuff by either taping it on or tying it on with ribbon. You can find really cute ribbon at walmart for pretty cheap. Hope that helps!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Want a perspective on a teenage mothers without MTV's hand in the mix?? Check out my blog! cae2392.blogspot.com
lovealot0587
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Thanks!!! hopefully I can make it lol

Quoting Mom_of_Grace:

Roll the diaper up like a swiss cake roll, then tape it that way, so it won't come apart. Place a certain amount of diapers standing up in a circle (until you have the size you want) and tie a ribbon around it to keep them together. Do the same, but a smaller circle for the next layer. If you want more layers just keep making smaller circles as you go up. You will want to have each layer on some sort of base (like a piece of cardboard), so you will be able to move them to stack them. Once you have however many layers you want, then decorate it with baby stuff by either taping it on or tying it on with ribbon. You can find really cute ribbon at walmart for pretty cheap. Hope that helps!

KaroGreenly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Here is my most recent one. I made it kind of like the pp described but I use rubber bands to keep the diapers in place. The only place that has ribbon is the outside. I also form the top later around a small bottle. Lastly, I've found that using small ribbon in the center of each later keeps the layers from falling off (just tuck the excess ribbon in the bottle and screw on the lid to keep all of the layers in place).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Addison12
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Once you have the layer built, put a rubber band around that layer, because if you just use ribbon, then it will fall apart when you go to move it.

I don't know how my mom makes them. But ti's different from the other poster.

KaroGreenly
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Oh, the bottom layer on mine has a 12" diameter. If you're going to do one that big, you'll need someone to help hold the diapers while you stretch the rubber band around them. My 4 year old loves to hold the diapers in place for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nena09alc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM

instead of ribbon you can use baby burp blankets or cloths to make it look more together.

Quoting Mom_of_Grace:

remaining_me
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM

very cute.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Here is my most recent one. I made it kind of like the pp described but I use rubber bands to keep the diapers in place. The only place that has ribbon is the outside. I also form the top later around a small bottle. Lastly, I've found that using small ribbon in the center of each later keeps the layers from falling off (just tuck the excess ribbon in the bottle and screw on the lid to keep all of the layers in place).

Mom2Addison12
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM

That is cute. My mom does them the same way. She uses rubber bands, then puts ribbon around the bands to hide them.

And then sticks like baby wash clothes, and like baby needs, like powder lotion etc. And then sometimes puts rattles or something on them. And sometimes she'll take the horses or rattles that can be put on necklaces at the baby showers and put those on the ribbons.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

addiesmommy1109
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:24 PM
I found that rubber bands work better than tape!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftwins_2
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Way cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)