• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section rates may reach 50%

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
  • 57 Replies

C-Section Rate May Reach 50 Percent

Posted by Christie Haskell
on November 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM

operating room c-sectionTempers often flare every time c-sections are mentioned, but one thing is clear: Our rates in the United States are way too high. Despite a goal set in 1998 to have the rate in 2010 at 15 percent, instead we went the other way. The c-section rate is now around 32 percent. That's almost 1 in every 3 babies being born via cesarean. It doesn't take an anthropologist to know that something is wrong here -- our births do not have that many complications to make that high number necessary.

Deputy Editor, Dr. John T. Queenan writes in an editorial that the rate is likely to soon exceed 50 percent, and if nothing is done to curtail it, he feels that doctors will lose credibility and perhaps the government will become involved.

Yikes. But what CAN be done? And what is the problem in the first place?

Queenan points fingers at insurance and malpractice, as do many people -- despite the knowledge and push to encourage VBACs, many malpractice insurances don't cover them, so doctors, or even entire hospitals, refuse to do them. Also many doctors are paid much more for c-sections, but VBACs are more time-consuming since the doctor is required to be there on-hand throughout the labor in some places. Many people suggest paying doctors the same regardless, though many argue that a natural birth shouldn't cost the same as someone who underwent major surgery.

More fingers are pointed at the fact that breech births often aren't even taught anymore (though proven to be safer than a c-section), and some OB med students graduate, saying never once in their training did they see an actual intervention-free birth.

Dr. Caroline Signore of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development says that since for the most part, moms and babies usually come out of c-sections okay, women have a false sense of invincibility -- or at least an inflated sense of safety about a surgery that is still much more invasive than a gallbladder or appendix removal.

Another need is honest education from OBs and other sources about the risks that are involved and education on the causes of unneeded c-sections, such as induction and other interventions that often snowball what could be a typical birth into one that is an emergency. In fact, research with the American College Obstetricians and Gynecologists suggests that many mothers are still requesting inductions even with an unfavorable cervix (which makes the induction likely to fail) for reasons like having control over the timing of their maternity leave.

The World Health Organization says that a push back to evidence-based practice (something the ACOG has been under fire for not following) would help lower the rate all by itself, and that constant monitoring often creates false worries which many doctors act on prematurely or unnecessarily.

Honestly, I think we just need less intervention, more patience, less legal jargon, more VBACs. But it isn't that simple. How do we stop doctors and patients wanting a c-section? That answer is so much more complicated.

What do you think would help lower c-section rates in the US?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I think education is key. If doctors were better educated they wouldn't suggest unnecessary interventions so often. And if future mothers were more educated they would know when to question the doctor and how to have a safer birth.

I wish I would have had the information I have now back when I had my son. Things would have gone very differently and I wouldn't have got a c section. But I was trusting my doctor to know what was safe and what wasn't.

manamott
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Ugh Idk but something needs to be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I agree. I think almost everyone I know who has had a baby recently has had a c section. And that to me is sad.

Quoting manamott:

Ugh Idk but something needs to be done.

lanys_mom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Not sure but something.

My cousin had a csection with both cause she didn't want to be "in pain."

I had a vaginal delivery and plan to do the same for any other kids I may have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Is this from the stir? I want to post it in another group. :)

Dragonmamas
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

If doctors weren't so greedy.

i.m.r.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Not sure but when I was in labour the ob on call had a high rate of c sections. She didn't like dealing with patients in labour and didn't seem too thrilled about vaginal delivery. I had to make it very clear that in no way was I having a c section unless absolutely necessary. And I vaginally delivered my giant baby just fine, it took awhile but it was preferrable to the recovery of a csection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MetalMomma09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM
I chose a c-section with my first. Why because I am terrified of being induced! Absolutely terrified that I start panicing. I was told I had to be induced due to my dd had stopped growing. I said hell no I will take a c-section. Why do you ask am I so terrified? I saw my sister in labor for 3 days after being induced and saw the pain she was in for those 3 days. Let me tell you that left a scar in my brain! Now with #2 on the way and this being my last I'm going to try a vbac and hopefully not have a heart attack. I'm doing it b/c people like you make me feel like I'm a horrible mother for opting a c-section. So while labor may seem exciting to some I will be mortified. And I don't think it right to make mothers feel like they should die for having a c-section. Because now a days that is what it feels like. And now I am pressured into doing something that scares the fuck out of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Openeyemom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM
I had 2 c-sections and am very happy with now they went. There is equal amount of risk with both methods and I believe it's the woman's choice. Focus on yourself and what works for you, everyone is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Openeyemom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Don't let other people tell you how to give birth! Your a wonderful person for having a baby no matter how it. And out. Do what's right for you and have a planned c-section if you want. My second and last was a annex one and it went great! Good luck

Quoting MetalMomma09:

I chose a c-section with my first. Why because I am terrified of being induced! Absolutely terrified that I start panicing. I was told I had to be induced due to my dd had stopped growing. I said hell no I will take a c-section. Why do you ask am I so terrified? I saw my sister in labor for 3 days after being induced and saw the pain she was in for those 3 days. Let me tell you that left a scar in my brain! Now with #2 on the way and this being my last I'm going to try a vbac and hopefully not have a heart attack. I'm doing it b/c people like you make me feel like I'm a horrible mother for opting a c-section. So while labor may seem exciting to some I will be mortified. And I don't think it right to make mothers feel like they should die for having a c-section. Because now a days that is what it feels like. And now I am pressured into doing something that scares the fuck out of me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)