Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stubborn eaters

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a 4 year old that will make his dinner last forever if I make anything other than a pasta dish. I make the same meals over and over. It seems to be whenever meat is involved he wont eat it. I mean, we will sit at the table until he does but I'm so tired of fighting every single night. Do any of you have this problem? what did you do to make things better. I don't and won't give in to his pasta demands. He needs a balanced diet. His pediatrician was no help in this matter. I'm at my wits ends and could really use some help. THanks

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaroGreenly
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Make a meal and tell him this is dinner. This is what you're going to eat. You're not getting anything else until breakfast. 

He won't go hungry.

ETA: He may skip dinner to test you, but he's not going to starve himself.

moosmom48
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Thats more or less what I did tonight. I got frustrated enough that after chewing on 1 bite for 15 minutes I took his plate away and sent him to bed. I feel bad but I'm not going to give in to him. I'm the parent and I make the rules not him. Its just so frustrating

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

you could just make dinner for the family and if he doesn't eat, don't make a big deal about it.

My son is extremely picky and will go days without eating. So I understand the picky eaters thing

mommy2dallas602
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Make a meal and tell him this is dinner. This is what you're going to eat. You're not getting anything else until breakfast. 

He won't go hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayBearsmomma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM

i would tell him that this is what is for dinner and if he dosent want it then he can go to bed hungry, eventually he will get the picture and eat whats for dinner. or i simply tell my son he has to try at least one bite and if he dosent like it he can spit it out, he usually always likes it and eats it rite up.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Sounds like a typical kiddo!  lol

My kids didn't much like meat at that age either, I think it was too tough for their teeth to really chew much.  They love it now though, so it is something that they worked past. 

If you can get him to eat beans and nuts and dairy products I'm sure he'll have enough protein.

Kristenn
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

He won't go hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JWow0528
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM
My 3 y/o DS is a VERY picky eater. On the nights that he doesn't eat what I've made for dinner, I put a packet of Vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast in 8 ounces of whole milk and add sugar free strawberry syrup. He absolutely loves strawberry milk and has a sippy cup of it with his breakfast (either waffles, pancakes or dry cereal) and one sippy cup of it at night. He only gets the Carnation added at night though. Lunch is generally not a fight, neither is breakfast, but dinner is a whole other story lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vipergirl22
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I don't really have the problem of a picky eater to much. My dd pretty much eats what is put in front of her but there are times she doesn't seem to want to eat and I tell her what everyone else has been saying. She understands and eats for the most part.

KaitelynnesMom
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM
I wish I could help. My parents are going thru the same thing with my 11 yr old sister who was told in kindergarten all types of meat will make you fat so at 11 she's almost a full blown vegetarian
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)