Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy and Motherhood is not a joke.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have started noticing this trend more now, probably because I'm pregnant, than I did before, but the whole "It can't happen to me" mentality among young, sexually active girls, is becoming so out of hand. 

I'm noticing that a lot of young girls, younger teens up to 20, are being very carless when it comes to sex. I will admit that when I started having sex, I didn't take it very seriously, the possibility that I could actually get pregnant. But, the more time passed, and I saw other girls around me becoming Moms, I took it more seriously. Even when I was told I couldn't get pregnant, I still used birth control and other contraceptives....and I STILL got pregnant.

These girls (I'm generalizing, here, not ALL teenage girls think like this) think that just because they aren't planning on getting pregnant, they won't. 

Every single time you have sex, unless you are already pregnant, there is a possibility you could become pregnant. Every time. No matter if you're on birth control, use 5 condoms, and spermicidal lube. Babies happen. If you're going to be an adult enough to have sex, you need to be adult enough to KNOW that you could become a parent every time.

It doesn't matter if you have a plan, and your plan is to do this, this, and this, then start having children. Life will mess up your plans just b/c you have the audacity to make them in the first place. Does that mean that motherhood ruined my life? No. It's not the plan I had and my life hasn't been destroyed. It's just different now. 

I just think that it needs to be stressed more for them, and the boys, that pregnancy results in a baby. A child. That you have to take care of, give all your attention to, love, and provide for for the rest of your life. Being a parent dosen't end when they turn 18. & it's not as glamorous as it seems on TV. The fathers don't always stick around, even if they say they will. Money doesn't grow on trees and it is way more responsiblity than anyone imagines beforehand. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lexismom90
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think a lot of younger ladies do think that way (at least in my area) the "it cant happen to me" thing happens a lot around here. i wasnt actively trying to get pregnant but i knew it was a possibility and i was okay with becomeing a mom. i have always wanted children so it was a blessing when i got that positive test. but far too many young ladies in my aria are becoming pregnant thinking it couldnt happen to them. and thanks to modern t.v. they think it is going to be easy and its not by any means. i have been blessed wih a very calm and easy baby but it is still rough geting little or no sleep and having very little help over all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Education is the key.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents are hands off and the schools can only do so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM
I'll admit when I got pregnant at 19 I didn't think it could happen to me! I was on birth control, he wore a condom, he pulled out, and I tracked my ovulation to make sure I wasn't ovulating when I had sex... Welp I ended up pregnant lol! It didn't ruin my life but it definitely turned it around! I had plans to keep cheering (had a full paid scholarship to university of Florida), graduate with my dental hygiene degree, get married and have a baby but i got pregnant so it changed it' I still finished school but it was harder! I'm actually talking about this next week to a support group of young girls! I'm only 21 so I can relate to them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calebsmommy13
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I agree! I was using protection when i got pregnant and there are too many young girls getting pregnant! I'm 18 and i don't have a lot of room to talk but my little sisters 14 year old friend is pregnant and a friend of mine got pregnant when she was 13, and my bff's sister got pregnant when she was 15. and its really sad that more people don't notice this and that parents don't seem too care anymore!

mlg9209
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Some people actually do it on purpose. I know someone who did. She was young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ParkersMom1992
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

A never ending job is being a mom! ;D

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Education is the key.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents are hands off and the schools can only do so much.

MOMMY2ACR
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM
The older I got, the less careful I was. I ended up pregnant at 18 by a guy I'd been friends with for years but had only been dating for a month. I don't regret my life as it is now or my baby girl but sometimes I think omg I was being so stupid. My SO could've ran off when I got pregnant. At the time I had no idea if I'd have support or not. I thought it wouldn't happen to me. I consider myself so blessed to have the outcome I did. ( a supportive SO and family on both sides) I try to talk to my younger cousins about how my situation could've gone completely differently and that just bc I got lucky doesn't mean that this is how every unplanned pregnancy goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1.hot.mama2005
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Education is the key.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)