Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Anyone go through post partum depression?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

I guess I was curious what it was like. No judgements, no bashing.

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SammKaiden
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

My OB said I had 'Post-Partum Blues"... it wasn't anything huge, but I knew something was off. Anything even remotely offensive to me was a big deal I got upset about. I was also so stressed at everything and felt like everyone was against me for a while. I didn't feel like doing anything at all, I just wanted to sit there and do nothing. Haha, it didn't last too long though!

I was just put on Lexapro and told to get out and do things more. This is probably because for the first month of my baby's life we lived in my grandma's basement and all I did was sit down there all day with the baby alone while my bf was at work.

SarahLizyB
by Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
For the first month, I felt that Aidan was not my child. I had visions of him dying or me accidentally killing hiim. It was just horrible. Thank goodness it only lasted a month.
mysticmom90
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I did, it lasted a year, but the worst part was the first 3 months. I imagined smothering my son, or throwing him....for absolutely no reason....I often would leave him in his crib in his room alone instead of having him out with me when he was awake. I never harmed or neglected him, although i have deep guilt and regret for ignoring him his first 3 months. The thing that pulled me through that stage was breastfeeding. My son refused to take a bottle so i was forced to have physical contact with him and after a while it became easier. The depression part lasted alot longer but it too got better after he turned 1.

He was the perfect baby, and now he is the sweetest toddler alive! I think it was divine intervention that caused him not to take the bottle and forced me to breastfeed him. Otherwise it probably would have gotten to the point of me walking out on my family in fear of hurting my baby.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I didn't, however it is very common.  If you haven't already, you should talk to your doctor.

rachelandharper
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM
I know the feeling. Me & my boyfriend live in his dads basement & I just sit down here while my boyfriend's at work. So boring & almost depressing.

Quoting SammKaiden:

My OB said I had 'Post-Partum Blues"... it wasn't anything huge, but I knew something was off. Anything even remotely offensive to me was a big deal I got upset about. I was also so stressed at everything and felt like everyone was against me for a while. I didn't feel like doing anything at all, I just wanted to sit there and do nothing. Haha, it didn't last too long though!

I was just put on Lexapro and told to get out and do things more. This is probably because for the first month of my baby's life we lived in my grandma's basement and all I did was sit down there all day with the baby alone while my bf was at work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I sure did. And I think my dd's dad being a tool bag influenced that a lot. I was miserable, I didn't eat, I was crabby, wanted to sleep a lot. I only had one night where I thought I was gona lose it with my dd, thankfully my aunt came in and helped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CabinMommyNH
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Yes, it lasted 18 months and took partial hospitalization and medication to get me stable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayBearsmomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
I didn't thank goodness but I suffer from depression now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andiecheyenne
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I'm a bit late on this, (I searched PPD in the search bar and got this), but I was just diagnosed with it this morning. My DD is 8 months old. I have no interest in playing with her, cleaning, eating, exercising, and I'm far more irritable than normal... My doctor prescribed a generic of Zoloft that I have yet to start (I'm starting in the morning) so I guess I'll see how that goes. I really don't like this feeling... I miss the old me. I realize now that I've been like this since January at the least, and I know it's not my birth control because that would have been a sudden change.

I'm really hoping this will help me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lilmzmegz
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I had PPD after I lost my son. I didn't want to do anything at all. It was horrid. I would get in the shower and cry just so people couldnt see/hear me(I hate crying in front of people) I had to force myself to eat and even put myself back in work so I wouldnt be around the house just laying around. I didnt have any motovation what so ever(And I have a 2 1/2 year old also) So it was a struggle to take care of myself and my daughter for me. Luckily my mother and BD helped take care of her.I was on zoloft and xanax to help with everything and it seemed only the xanax did anything. The zoloft only seemed to make it worse even after taking it for several months. So i just stopped taking it and have slowly winged myself off PPD. I'm expecting again so that has helped me get over it some. But i still believe I have it. My SO is wonderful and helps me with it and is very understanding. I think with my support system of friends/family that I will soon be over it. It seems to spike up around the 13th-17th of every month(I lost him the 14th of october delivered him on the 15th.) But I'm slowly starting to be able to function normally. I try to go out once a week for me time with friends. 

There were times I wanted to kill myself (Obviously I didn't) And I just felt so useless. I felt like a terrible mother that I couldn't even keep my baby boy alive for him to be born. It was and still is hard for me. I honestly have to thank my daughter for everything and if it wasn't for her I don't know if I would have gotten through this so quickly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)