Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rude comments you've received for being a young mom or young & pregnant

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 77 Replies

First rude comment I've gotten about my pregnancy (sort of)...

I was at work yesterday and we had been super busy all day long. It was an hour before the end of my shift and the involuntary yawning started. 
While I was waiting on a (regular) customer, he asked how much longer I had left in my shift and I said about and hour and I was talking about how much I was ready to get home to go right to bed.
The customer was like: "Why?"
I said: "Because being pregnant makes me tired all day and I go to bed early these days."

Then he grabbed his bags and said: "Well, you weren't too tired to lay down to get pregnant."

I took that as both insanely rude and stupid.
Or maybe I'm just hormonal as hell.
Either way, what would make someone say that to someone else?? I know him and I are cool as far as cashier/customer goes, but he doesn't know me like that.

What are some of the rude and/or really stupid comments you've gotten from being a young mom or young and pregnant??

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erika_Wheeler09
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM

My first rude comment came from my dad when i was pregnant with my first. He told me "how am i suppose to be happy or proud, when im 19 year old daughter is unmarried and pregnant, dating some guy i barely know? Do you really thing you will be able to handle this? I think you should have tried a little harder to be safe"

First off, i lost it on him. Ive NEVER giving my parents any reason to doubt me, i had good grades in school always had a job and NEVER been in any trouble, i moved out and 17 and had always supported my self, so for him to say i couldnt handle it really pissed me off, but he soon came to realize he was very very wrong, im now married (to the same man) and we have 2 little boys who we fulled support and take care of our selves!

on that note, i get dirty looks and rude comments all the time when i go out any where weather it be taking my boys to the doctors of shopping for food. It must be my style that makes people think im a shitty mother or something like that. plus i get the comment that i look 16, i will be 23 in march lol. whatever the reason is for there judgements i just smile and walk away, that or i fuck with them just because i think their reactions are funny. :)

new2012mommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

it wasn't really really rude i just get dirty looks and people always tell me i'm so young and that its not going to be easy. But maybe thats because everyone around where I live think they have to be knocked up to!
:| 

BeachMama05
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

my best friend and room mate at the time said by getting pregnant and keeping the baby will ruin my life forever and she didnt understand how it was a good thing. 

Ever since that day (8 yrs ago) things went downhill and we dont talk anymore

momoftwins_2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I get this one a lot "Dont you know how babies are made?" (I have 3 kids). Yes, i actually do know how they are made...would you believe that they were PLANNED!?

heather4511
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
That was a very rude comment.

I can't remember any rude comments from people. My teachers didn't judge me, nobody from church judged me, and all the customers at work were great. But when I think of it I did work with an old hag that made the stink face at me when she realized I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vkelly2011
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I didn't get them to my face.
The pastor at my church told my mom that I couldn't be in the music group or have my baby shower there because I was young and not married yet. Which was sad because he let someone else older not married have hers there, and they didn't actually go to church there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Wow, that was rude.

I found something offensive: My mom called up dh's dad at work and let him know that I was pregnant andwe need to have a abortion.

wtf.

a5hl3yC
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I consider that comment rude.

A few I've gotten were pretty blunt from customers and strangers such as "Wow are you even old enough to be a mother, you're just a child yourself."

One day fairly far along around 5 months I asked to go to the bathroom. I said it quietly to my manger and the customer I had chimed in and said, "You're just a cashier you shouldn't need to go to the bathroom can't you just wear a diaper instead of making me wait!" I was so embarrassed at the time and cried afterwards.

Another good one was "Do you even know who the father is?" I'm guessing he's the only guy I had been with for the past year....

Last one I really hated was, "You know you could have taken care of this once you found out so you could actually be having a life instead of ruining it."

All of them along with looks and such I just brush off for the most part. I'm a good parent and you will be as well. They say "older" people make better parents yet I rarely see them being involved, and they are so quick to judge, doesn't sound like a ready parent to me.

Mommyplan
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

OMG That is rediculous. I live in a nice area of town with a lot of older moms and when I went in for my son's conference the principle said "well we have a really young mom today". WTF dickhead, not all moms have to be in their forty's. :)

Can you potty train your toddler by noon tomorrow?

Yes You Can! 

Jennifer_57
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I get more rude looks when shopping for langerie while not wearing makeup than I ever got being pregnant or now being nineteen with a four yr old. My schools were always supportive, teachers and students. Family supportive. I know I am lucky for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)