Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I keep my baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What should I do?

Options:

Get an abortion

Put the baby up for adoption

Raise him/her myself

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2091

View Results

I'm 16 years old. I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant, and have already set up a doctors appointment. The father is 17 and previously said he would step up, but now that I'm for sure pregnant he's freaking out. He's accusing me of the baby not really being his, so I know I can't fully count on him for support. Maybe he'll come around sooner or later, but I'm not going to put any faith into him.

I live with my parents and they're doing very well financially, and they're leaving this decision up to me. if they would help support me for the next two years, then the baby would have everything it needs while living here with me and my parents. That would give me time to complete school (I would go to a alternative high school that helps you graduate faster)get through some community college classes, get a job and save up some money for my own apartment. 

I have three good friends who I know will help me however they can, and give me as much support as I need, along with my family. 

I know raising a baby would mean I would have to give up everything, friends, parties, activities, but i think I'm willing to do that. I would put my full time and responsibility into the baby. This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make, but I chose to have sex, I need to own up to the repercussions that followed. 

My parents are looking into abortion, but I don't think I could really go through with it. I have the same opinion as a lot of people that this baby didn't ask to be created, it was my stupid actions and carelessness and now I need to step up, grow up and be a mother. I always knew I wanted to be a mother, it's my biggest dream, I just didn't know it would be coming so soon. 

Any advice would be amazing, thank you.

by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
kittiecat88
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Sounds like u have a good support system. I didn't have one. Literally. I had to live in a group home. Seeing as u are going to have help, I think u should keep it but if its not what u truly want then don't. I got pregnant @ 16 my son is now 6 and we are happy and I am in college. Its doable :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimberley.west1
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Okay if he is going to act like an immature Lil boy, then hun i wouldn't deal with it. Your going to stress your self out so bad about him you might miscarry (take it from me, i did that so much i miscarried at 2 1/2 last year and i was 18). So relax take a deep breath and take a lukewarm bubble bath, so you can think about everything. What good is going to becoming out of this, and what you know will change. You don't have to change your friends, or certain activities (as long as the activities doesn't put stress and strain on you). Don't drink, smoke cigs or weed.( If your a smoker, move to lighter cigs). If your parents want you to get an abortion, honestly i wouldn't recommend it. Think about it, it wasn't your fault of getting pregnant but you and the boy did do it not protectively and this is what happened. I have 2 nephews and 2 niece and 2 more on the way and I'm 6 weeks pregnant. So I know that kids don't ruin your life, there the most beautiful thing god can give us women/teen moms. They take after you, you can teach them right from wrong, help them roll over, take those first steps, teach them to speak, help them in school. And in the end when your going to bed, your son/daughter will tell you she/he loves you. :) If this doesn't help, at least think of this. If god didn't think you were reading to have a child then you wouldn't be, your pregnant for a reason and the reason is to give a beautiful life on this earth. Please take care, and i hope your parents will be more supported. :)

ragitty
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are willing to make the sacrifices and you truly want to raise the baby, it sounds like you are in a supportive and loving enough environment to raise the baby. If you are not sure you are ready, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving the baby up for adoption. There are a lot of amazing families out there who are praying for a baby of their own that cannot get pregnant. 

myname27
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

please do not have an abortion! i promise that you will regret it later! i think you should take care of him/her yourself and do not let anyone talk you into an abortion!   have ur baby, they will be glad u did

Kenzismommy09
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM
It seamed like you have a great support system behind you. I would be leaning toward keeping the baby. Abortion should never be a real option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gabrielat
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

This only a decision you can make hun. If you feel you couldn't go for an abortion, then rule that out. If you feel you really want to live your life as a teen for now, go for adoption. There's open adoptions and you could see your baby, get pictures, updates, ect. But if you really feel you have to own up to your decision, keep the baby. Trust me, it's not easy. I'm 19, have a job, I'm going back to school and I'm still struggling hard. BUT it is rewarding. I love my son to death and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I do wish though that this happened a little later. But I don't regret him. You sound like you're being extremely responsible, which is amazing. You need to choose what you feel is the best option for you. Don't let anyone make the decision for you. You may second guess yourself on whatever decision you choose. I still wonder sometimes if abortion or adoption would have been better for my son. But when I look at him, this was meant to be no matter what's going on in life. You just need to look at the pros and cons of each option and pick the best for you. Good luck mama :) you can message me if you need to talk

PitaPata Cat tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

pj2becca21
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Sophie, 

I had my daughter at 16 and it was the greatest and hardest chose i made. I was ready to be a mother ( i helped out and watch 7 of my cousins and my brother grow up). If you feel ready you should go and be a great mother to your baby and enjoy him/her for the rest of your life ( they are the world and need everyone one on the same page). As for the parties, friends, etc you wont miss them to much.... because it show who your true friends are! I found my true friends...... but anyway it is your choice. I really hope that you think long and hard about it 

good

ambiibooxo
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Its up to u.

My parents didnt want me to have my kids soo young, but they supported my choices and helped me a lot.

I was 15 when i had my first, 16 when i had my second, and 19 when i had my third. Yes it was hard and i gave up a lot, but to me it was all worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SophieC5
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Yes, I have a counselor who I'm going to talk to and going to Planned Parenthood. Thanks though!

heather4511
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM
You seem to be realistic about it. If you think you can handle school and are ok with maturing faster than your friends, go for it! I had my dd at 16 and had the support of my family and it helped a lot. Your bf may or may not stick around, but with your family, you will be fine on your own. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)