Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Has anyone had the Mirena IUD?!?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm suppose to be getting the Mirena IUD in three weeks, but after reading Mirena's website I'm not sure I want to.. Can lower sex drive, make you gain weight, be depressed
pain during sex and a whole lot others.. Has anyone got it?!? Tell me what you think about it the good and bad. Please and thank you.
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
mama_wolf
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I've had it for about 10 months now and I love it. No period for me, super low maintenence, comfortable...it's great. I was worried about it being the hormonal option since I used to have baaaad periods but it's been really great so far. I'd recommend it. And if it doesn't work out and you don't like it, it's as easy as having it taken out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I have two friends who have gotten it. One girls fell out because since she got a c-section apparently your uterus can shift and it can make it fall out and well hers did and she's now pregnant. The other girl had a c-section too but hers is still good. They both like(d) it

remaining_me
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

this.

Quoting amonkeymom:

I've never had it.

My2boys0523
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I have the iud it didn't make me gain weight or be depressed but I do feel psych sometimes with major mood swings, same with a few friends of mine who have it. One friend had such severe cramps that she was crying so she had it removed and everything went back to normal. My only complaint is that after 2 yrs of being on it I never know when I'm gonna start my period or stop it lasts longer then 7 days now but it has lightened them quite a bit! :)
lizjones
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM
I got it on feb 2 of this year. My doctor told me I could bleed irregularly for 6 months, which I thought was worth not having my period at all afterwards and not having to remember to take anything for bc. I bled irregularly for about the first month or so but now I was due for my period like two weeks ago and no bleeding :) I didn't gain any weight so far and I dont even know its there. As fot the sex drive, I have (and have for years, not from the mirena) severe depression. My sex drive dropped significantly when I was pregnant and kinda stayed down there. But these past few months I've been the way I was before my pregnancy. I'm 19 with a nine month old son so I know what you mean about not wanting to lose your sex drive lol. I would absolutely recommend the mirena, its wonderful :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayBearsmomma
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM
I had it for 6 months and I didn't care for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM

may not for YOU! it works dif for dif people..

Quoting proudmommy20994:

no it dosent i have one it works fine

aew00
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I have had it for about 4 yrs.. & Of course with ANY bc there are risk & side-effects! I have had no problems at all with the Mirena, honestly It's painless & I forget that I even have it! I have found it to be great & Im probably gonna get another one once it's time to have this one removed.. It's a wonderful form of bc for us moms who cant remember to take a pill everyday lol... I love & recommend it!

aew00
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Really? Ive had it for about four yrs.. Did you experience complications w\t it?? (just curious)

Quoting JayBearsmomma:

I had it for 6 months and I didn't care for it

angeleyes16
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I had a horrible time with it, but I've heard that some women love it nd don't suffer from the symptoms.

Within a month of getting it place I started getting painful ovarian cysts. I ended up in the ER twice, because I was doubled over in pain. They started getting less frequent and I stayed on it for a while longer. I stopped getting my periods, which I didn't mind, but I always felt like I was pregnant. My breast would get sore all of the time, and sometimes I was just a bitch. I decided to get it taken out after I got a positive home pregnancy test. When I went in to the doctors it was negative. I suspect that I had a chemical pregnancy, since I can't think of anything else that would cause a positive home test.

I have the paraguard now. It caused me to be on my period ALL ofthe time. So I also take the Mini pill to regulate my periods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)