Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth Snobbery

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely zero desire to deliver naturally. At all. I want pain medication(s) because I want to focus on being in an alright mood and not focused on how much it sucks to be torn in half by a watermelon in my pelvis. 

I would never ever knock someone for going au natural. But it’s when woman act superior and ‘holier-than-thou’ that it gets me heated.Yeah, great. You suffered through labor and delivery and I got pain meds. You must be so much stronger than I and such a better mom...

Yes, there are risks with everything. Even giving birth! I’m cool with it if you want to “feel the whole experience,” you masochist, you. But please don’t act like you’re better than me or I took “the easy way out.” Who wrote the book on L&D a decided if you take pain medication that you’re a wimp? 

Come time for my little bugga to get here, I’ll be getting an epidural. I know some women experience a slow in labor leading to a Cesarean, but I know my doctor and she will not put me under the knife unless the baby’s health and welfare is threatened. 

I know the risks of epidurals, I've also done my homework on other pain relief methods, just an FYI.

I just cannot wrap my head around why some women act like:

"OMG! Epidurals are so bad. Natural or go home! Why would you want to take something that could affect your baby? Don't you realize natural is better? You had a c-section? HA! I had a natural birth and if I can do it you can too!"

So if you can help me wrap my head around this Natural Birth Snobbery, please enlighten me.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
heather4511
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I had an epidural the first time and just wasn't pleased with the experience. It is an amazing thing to have, especially when your contractions are off the charts, but you feel nothing. So I don't knock anyone who wants an epidural.

BUT I feel like I would have been able to push better had my body not been all numb. I couldn't feel anything with led to my dd being pulled out with a suction cup thing and i didn't like that, plus I think that was part of the reason I tore..which I also didn't like. I also didn't like being confined to the bed. I could not leave, I couldn't get up to walk around...I was stuck there in that bed, for hours.

In the end its up to you and how you want your birth to go. I don't think going natural makes a mother any better than a mom who has a medicated birth. For me it will be.my own little accomplishment if I can do it natural.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CatherineNewton
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I like th DRUGS! (now you think i am a drug user...ugh) haha  I had the main meds and was glad. Alice was sunny side up and it was really pain full even with them. So I am all for them and IDC what other people say just like in baby momma I am Amy Polliar sitting on that bouncy ball ;]

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Lol

I had no pain therefore no pain meds. Well, I had some pain, just when my contractions went back to back so I took 2 tylenol. Pushing didn't hurt at all.

To each there own =)
KristyCat
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Again, I am not knocking anyone for having a natural birth. At all. If you wanna do it, more power to you. I'm wondering why some women feel a superiority over women who chose meds.

It's like, "Okay, you delivered the way women did for thousands of years. You didn't cure AIDS. Chill out..." 

Vipergirl22
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM

With my daughter I had an epidural but I tried the first contraction with nothing and decided I am a baby and got it. My mom had all 3 of us naturally so I wanted to try. And I was quite pleased but when we have our next baby I am going to try harder to go without because I would like to give birth standing up when it comes time..if I can manage..suppose to be a better way then laying down. The only part about my epidural I didn't like was it took them 7 trys to get the needle to stick. And the pressure hurt really bad. Told them if they didn't get that time I would just do it naturally. And I also think if they can just give me the shots of mild meds like they did in the beginning I would do just fine..which isn't exactly natural but its better then an epidural..can still give birth like I want too. Am also going to see if I can get over my discomfort of Bfing and not bottle feed for at least the first 3 months..

mcr17
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

i had an epidural with DD#1 and will with DD#2, due in july. i refuse to go through that much pain again. i got the epidural a few hours into labor and it wore off by the time i had to push, so i felt EVERYTHING! fuck that-epidural please!!!!

lvbgmum
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I'm not part of this group, but I just wanted to put in my opinion here. I'm not knocking your choice for the pain meds. I did one birth induced, epi, the whole nine and one all natural. With the epi, I wasn't quite myself after and didn't have the immediate bond with my first daughter that I did with my second. That lack of initial bonding has greatly effected our relationship. I love both my girls very much and think women need to do what they're comfortable with, but I also wanted to throw that piece of info in there. That's why I chose to go natural and will do so again.

pittymama
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

i will be having one. this is my first and as much as i'd love to think i could do it naturally.. i just don't want to. the first is always different though i think.. i'll learn a lot and maybe next time i won't want one but i dislike the women that think they're better because they do things a certain way. i don't think natural birth, breastfeeding and co sleeping makes a good mother, a STRONG mother yes but we're all women.. we're all strong in our own ways :-) 

Wife to an amazing man 08/29/2011
Mommy to 1 little girl on the way 06/02/2012
ranaie
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

i can agree with you on all that. women do seem like they can tolerate more than they can really bite. when i had both of my kids they were vaginal but i also got the epidural. with my daughter i was induced and the labor just came quick. i wanted that epidural now lol and didnt want to wait... in a way people probably would of called me a pussy. for my son i had no labor pain at all but got the epidural cuz like you said i didnt want to feel a watermelon tearing my pelvis to hell.

But to me i feel it depends on the person and what make you feel comfertable. i never let anyone talk me into anything when it dealt with my pregnancy or my kids now, ur are the mommy or soon to be mommy you will know what is best for you your baby and your body not anyone else.

another thing is its great that you did your homework persay. you looked into your options which is great. not to mention it sounds like you ave a great doc as well. and thats another thing to its always great to have a doc there that really knows you and your body , it helps make the decisions easier by having the knowlege of what you can and cannot handle.

i really liked your post it really opened my eyes and i agree with everything that you had mentioned :)

LoganTroyMom
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
i tried for 33hrs after my water broke. was in labor 3 weeks. finally it wound up epidural or csection after 33hrs. he was born less than an hour later. i dont regret it or feel bad i tried my best and he is healthy. i do regret getting iv meds trying to avoid the epi.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)