Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth Snobbery

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely zero desire to deliver naturally. At all. I want pain medication(s) because I want to focus on being in an alright mood and not focused on how much it sucks to be torn in half by a watermelon in my pelvis. 

I would never ever knock someone for going au natural. But it’s when woman act superior and ‘holier-than-thou’ that it gets me heated.Yeah, great. You suffered through labor and delivery and I got pain meds. You must be so much stronger than I and such a better mom...

Yes, there are risks with everything. Even giving birth! I’m cool with it if you want to “feel the whole experience,” you masochist, you. But please don’t act like you’re better than me or I took “the easy way out.” Who wrote the book on L&D a decided if you take pain medication that you’re a wimp? 

Come time for my little bugga to get here, I’ll be getting an epidural. I know some women experience a slow in labor leading to a Cesarean, but I know my doctor and she will not put me under the knife unless the baby’s health and welfare is threatened. 

I know the risks of epidurals, I've also done my homework on other pain relief methods, just an FYI.

I just cannot wrap my head around why some women act like:

"OMG! Epidurals are so bad. Natural or go home! Why would you want to take something that could affect your baby? Don't you realize natural is better? You had a c-section? HA! I had a natural birth and if I can do it you can too!"

So if you can help me wrap my head around this Natural Birth Snobbery, please enlighten me.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
remaining_me
by Kay on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I have a problem with natural birth SNOBBERY, as well. I don't have a problem with those who chose to make an informed decision and keeps that to themselves unless asked. I agree with most of your opinions on birth too. I think it's more important to focus on the important stuff rather than just being able to say you did it natrually. And it may be like comparing a sip of apple juice to a bottle of alcohol in the risk department, but no one hesitates to offer you a tylenol when u have a headache, but when you're squeezing a watermelon out of a pinhole..nothing? IDK, just seems wrong to me.

kittiecat88
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I was seeing stars and almost fainted with every contraction bc of the intense pain so I got an epidural. No regrets!!! And I agree w/ ur post.. Giving birth is giving birth.. No one should be shunned for how they do it. After all, we all eventually get our little cuties out of it, don't we!? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remaining_me
by Kay on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM

u sound like my cousins wife. she slept through everything but the pushing, med free. i'm like, i wish!

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Lol

I had no pain therefore no pain meds. Well, I had some pain, just when my contractions went back to back so I took 2 tylenol. Pushing didn't hurt at all.

To each there own =)

insaneygolover
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I wanted meds, but I dialted so fast they couldn't get them to me and my daughter was born. Hey, to each their own. If you want meds I do not look down on you. I wish you a fast labour and delivery and that your child is healthy and beautiful.

Bitches are bitches, let them bitch or bitch at them.

Its your decision!

My2boys0523
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Shoot, Im a little BITCH when it comes to pain so HELL YA I GOT THE EPIDURAL!!! If you're against that more power to you, you can suck my big toe for all I care LMAO

NonaScheib38
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I had a TON of medical interventions w my first, starting w a medically induced labor. It was awful and led to a c section, I just didn't kno any better. Goin for the vbac w my second, I wanted NO interventions. Well, they broke my water without my consent, and bcuz it was a vbac I had no choice but to b hooked up to monitors and IVs. It was the middle of the night, so I said eff this and got the epidural. Bad reaction. Itched all over like crazy!

This time around, I'm getting the epidural right when I get thru the door. I'll have no family support, my husband won't be there, and ill be hooked up to the same shit. I can't manage pain naturally if I'm tied down by wires n stuff.

I get where ur comin from, op. I get crap all the time for getting the epidural.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinklove22
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM
i got an epi with my 1st 2 i tried with my daughter to go natural but heck no after a couple of hours trying i decided to use the epi and had my daughter about an hour later and with my son i knew as soon as i walked into the hospital i wanted an epi lol BUT with my last one i i labored at home i was able to walk around and relax in the shower and all that helped when i arrived at the hospital i had my son 25min after.....if i knew then what i know now (how to calm my body) then yeah i would choose natural and i plan to with my next one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

I will say the contractions weren't flowers and rainbows lol. But I kept relaxed. I went in knowing that I didn't want an epidural (my body reacts weird to meds so I didn't want to chance things). I walked through most of my contractions, though when they hit, I had to stand still and just breathe because I couldn't walk lol. I also rolled around on a body ball. I took a shower and had the water hitting my back while I sat on a body ball too. It could be that I tolerate pain well, but I really think it is because I relaxed and just let my body do its thing. I know that sounds weird, but that is the best way to describe it. I had my husband and his family there and we all walked around and talked and laughed. Btw, I was in labor for 28.5 hrs and 3 of those I spent pushing. I would have spent less but the drs wouldn't let me be upright to birth my dd. Not happy with them over that, but this time around I switched drs and hospitals.
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Quoting remaining_me:

Lol I only slept when I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they gave me and so they had to give me benedryll. 2 one hour naps...

Labor affects everyone differently and I chose one way but it doesn't work for everyone =)
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM
That's awesome thanks for the advice. I had an epi with my 1st dd but with our 2nd (ttc this summer) I want to go all natural

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

I will say the contractions weren't flowers and rainbows lol. But I kept relaxed. I went in knowing that I didn't want an epidural (my body reacts weird to meds so I didn't want to chance things). I walked through most of my contractions, though when they hit, I had to stand still and just breathe because I couldn't walk lol. I also rolled around on a body ball. I took a shower and had the water hitting my back while I sat on a body ball too. It could be that I tolerate pain well, but I really think it is because I relaxed and just let my body do its thing. I know that sounds weird, but that is the best way to describe it. I had my husband and his family there and we all walked around and talked and laughed. Btw, I was in labor for 28.5 hrs and 3 of those I spent pushing. I would have spent less but the drs wouldn't let me be upright to birth my dd. Not happy with them over that, but this time around I switched drs and hospitals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)