Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Natural Birth Snobbery

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely zero desire to deliver naturally. At all. I want pain medication(s) because I want to focus on being in an alright mood and not focused on how much it sucks to be torn in half by a watermelon in my pelvis. 

I would never ever knock someone for going au natural. But it’s when woman act superior and ‘holier-than-thou’ that it gets me heated.Yeah, great. You suffered through labor and delivery and I got pain meds. You must be so much stronger than I and such a better mom...

Yes, there are risks with everything. Even giving birth! I’m cool with it if you want to “feel the whole experience,” you masochist, you. But please don’t act like you’re better than me or I took “the easy way out.” Who wrote the book on L&D a decided if you take pain medication that you’re a wimp? 

Come time for my little bugga to get here, I’ll be getting an epidural. I know some women experience a slow in labor leading to a Cesarean, but I know my doctor and she will not put me under the knife unless the baby’s health and welfare is threatened. 

I know the risks of epidurals, I've also done my homework on other pain relief methods, just an FYI.

I just cannot wrap my head around why some women act like:

"OMG! Epidurals are so bad. Natural or go home! Why would you want to take something that could affect your baby? Don't you realize natural is better? You had a c-section? HA! I had a natural birth and if I can do it you can too!"

So if you can help me wrap my head around this Natural Birth Snobbery, please enlighten me.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (71-76):
Aslen
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KristyCat:

I don't feel like it's unnecessary. Pain is a message to your brain that something is.. well, painful. It's unnesecessary stress and takes the focus off of the happiness you're suppsoed to be experiencing. I'd much rather spend 24 hours in semi-comfortable labor than 24 hours in agonizing, earth shattering pain. Millions of babies are born after mom took pain meds and they're fine. I don't feel like it's this huge risk that is going to negatively effect my baby.

To be honest, the pain from contraction is what's called a positive pain... the contractins mean your body is doing what t is supposed to do to get baby out. When you take that pain away, you take away that the contractions do. Best thing ever is visualizatio and work with the contractions, not fight against them. Sooooo many women fight the pain and that can lead to the interventions and surgery

MamatoKy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM

24 hours is unusually long? I was in labor for 37 hours, stuck at 4cm not progressing....with pre eclampsia =( ended in a c section but it was an emergency c-section.

but they gave me this stuff call "stopall" lol if ur an RN you probably know what i'm talking about thats what it sounded like they were saying and naturally, Im spelling it like it sounded. It was wonderful =)

lol

<----not being an ass. Just commenting. lol

Quoting tm88rn:

It is unnecessary. Pain can be managed, and managed well, without taking pain medications. There is no reason for pain to be the focus of your labor and delivery. A huge part of it though, at least in this country, is the attitude towards pain and pain medication. I am American, but I was raised differently. 24 hours is an unusually long labor, but the longest labors are those where pain medication, especially epidurals, are given. Epidurals numb the lower half of your body, including your uterus, which yes, means no pain, but it also means that labor is always slowed down to some degree. Labor is not agonizing, earth shattering pain. Yes, many babies are born fine. But some babies aren't. If that is a risk you are willing to take, if you want to get an epidural because you can't handle the pain, then go ahead, that is your right. But you are coming off as very condescending and uneducated with many of your statements. Not wanting a natural birth is fine. But what you feel like and proven facts are different, and pain medication is a risk. But it is your choice. 

Quoting KristyCat:

I don't feel like it's unnecessary. Pain is a message to your brain that something is.. well, painful. It's unnesecessary stress and takes the focus off of the happiness you're suppsoed to be experiencing. I'd much rather spend 24 hours in semi-comfortable labor than 24 hours in agonizing, earth shattering pain. Millions of babies are born after mom took pain meds and they're fine. I don't feel like it's this huge risk that is going to negatively effect my baby.

Treymama
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Mine were both natural not by my choice though. I have a high pain tolerance but that pain is just terrible. I don't knock ppl that use pain intervention for labor and birth. I'm jealous of them. The one thing I would absolutely never do is the epidural just because I personally would not be able to stand the paralyzed feeling in my legs and not be able to walk until t wore off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

OP, also, a lot of it depends on your praticioner. A midwife is much more geared towards natural labor AND proper coping techniques than any OB ever will be. I will NEVER use an OB again. I loved my midwife so much I want to be one. With my oldest, i felt like I was missing something (epi) and I couldn't figure out what it was... until I had my natural birth with my youngest. 

-KC-
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Epidural is definitely the choice for me. I loved it with my first, Im definitely getting it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megankae
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM
With my son I was in labor for almost 3 days. (starting at Friday 2 am and I delivered late afternoon on a Sunday) and let me add they had to give me the medication to speed it up late Saturday night. I got the epidural at like 4 am on Sunday.

If I hadn't of gotten the Epidural I would not have slept for about two nights, including the exhaustion of just being in labor that long. I was able to sleep for a while and was bright eyed and bushy tailed for pushing.

Labor was rough, it would have been down near impossible for ME to do it natural. People just have to remember that everyone is different, not everyone is equipped to push a baby out without some help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)