Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Natural Birth Snobbery

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely zero desire to deliver naturally. At all. I want pain medication(s) because I want to focus on being in an alright mood and not focused on how much it sucks to be torn in half by a watermelon in my pelvis. 

I would never ever knock someone for going au natural. But it’s when woman act superior and ‘holier-than-thou’ that it gets me heated.Yeah, great. You suffered through labor and delivery and I got pain meds. You must be so much stronger than I and such a better mom...

Yes, there are risks with everything. Even giving birth! I’m cool with it if you want to “feel the whole experience,” you masochist, you. But please don’t act like you’re better than me or I took “the easy way out.” Who wrote the book on L&D a decided if you take pain medication that you’re a wimp? 

Come time for my little bugga to get here, I’ll be getting an epidural. I know some women experience a slow in labor leading to a Cesarean, but I know my doctor and she will not put me under the knife unless the baby’s health and welfare is threatened. 

I know the risks of epidurals, I've also done my homework on other pain relief methods, just an FYI.

I just cannot wrap my head around why some women act like:

"OMG! Epidurals are so bad. Natural or go home! Why would you want to take something that could affect your baby? Don't you realize natural is better? You had a c-section? HA! I had a natural birth and if I can do it you can too!"

So if you can help me wrap my head around this Natural Birth Snobbery, please enlighten me.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
megandcailey08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
My first was medicated my second was natural. I would replay my youngests birth every day if I didn't have to deal wit how much worse getting an epi made things. I think I am an amazing woman for doing it natural how I was intended to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
You're not knocking natural birth. Yet you call those women masochists. I don't know any woman that has been sexually gratified while giving birth. Do you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gmaof11
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Nothing wrong with getting something for the pain.  I had the drugs with my first 2, but with the 3rd, my doc said "no" cuz everytime I had a contraction my babies heartbeat weakened.  So, I went through that one without the drugs and was completely exausted to the point of passing out on the delivery table.  Don't let anyone talk you out of it!  If for some reason, you can't take the epi, then just remember to breath! 

My daughter had epidurals with all three of hers.  Her doc did not give them to her toooooooooo soon, due to the fact that it could cause major problems, like you said, slowing the labor, etc.  Timing is everything!

proudmommy92
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Well i guess i can tell both my stories.

I have 1 dd. I went in on my 5th day of labour. They wouldnt do anything prior, no pain meds, just told me to go home and wait it out. So on the 5th i couldnt even walk. I was literally so tired i was crying. The constant pain is not fun. So finally the fifth day comes and they break my water since i was 5 cm. I get the epidural and im fine. Im tired but fine. My legs turn to jello and i could not move them if my life depended on it. So ofcourse i didnt feel contractions but just a constant dull back pain. 2 hours of pushing and she still wasnt out. I was given anither shot of the epidural and i was watching the machine monitoring my dd and me. My heart rate was very low- about 50-60. And it was dropping. Dds heart rate was at 220. Yes 220. She was stressed. I passed out and woke up 2 hours later- they were preping for a csection, i woke up being wheeled down the hall. Once in the new room the new dr just wanted to check me, another dr was patting me down with ice to see if i could feel it. Once my legs hit those placers i felt huge contractions. 2 mins and 2 pushes- she was born. I screamed like never before. 1 st push - her head came out, second push- the rest of her came out. Then my placenta feel on the floor. Yes i was pushing that hard!

I wish i never felt that pain- i wish the epidural didnt wear off. My next baby is def epidural. I do not want to have that pain one bit! I dont think woman who have no pain during birth are below me- they are def above me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I loved my natural births (had an epidural with my first, the had 3 without pain medication, including one outside of the hospital). I loved that I felt more connected to my body, the baby, and the entire experience. I'm happy that it was safer for me and for the babies, and that I am proud of the fact that I faced such a painful, intense event without requiring medication.

I don't give two shakes what you choose for your birth. I'm sorry that me feeling proud and strong makes you feel inferior, but that isn't going to change how I feel about me.

Gmaof11
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I'm sure there would have been a lot of woman taking the drugs if they'd existed thousands of years ago!  LOL  And quite possibly they did use some herbal rememdies.

heathermarie23
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone had me terrified that it was going to be the worst experience of my life... blah blah blah.. I went in thinking I'm going to try natural, but I'm not against pain meds... I've given birth naturally twice now and wouldn't have it any other way... There are no side effects to natural birth, and being able to feel the contractions gives you a sense of control... I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, but I would reccomend that everyone at least consider trying.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I had an epidural with my daughter & I regret it. It didn't slow down my labor @ all & I barely had it long enough before my dd was born so she wasn't affected by it a lot but I could of done it natural. Next baby I will try the natural way. I don't think ppl who do it natural are better mothers but I do think they are stronger women. Labor hurts & for them to get past it without medication hell yeah it makes them stronger. I'm assuming this is your first child because you absolutely have no idea what your talking about. I can sit here & say that any mom who done it naturally was/is stronger than I am.. But you beat believe next baby (ttc this summer) I'm going all natural!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I'm so jealous lol. How did you keep from having the pain?

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Lol

I had no pain therefore no pain meds. Well, I had some pain, just when my contractions went back to back so I took 2 tylenol. Pushing didn't hurt at all.

To each there own =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misskriss10
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I had an epideral with my DD. I ended up having a seizure less than 20 minutes after they gave me the epideral because my blood pressure got too high. But I also wasn't being monitored very well by my doctor. I have absolutely nothing against epiderals but the doctor said that my body just couldn't handle it but hopefully yours can! Next time I'm going to try with just the pain medicines through the IVs because those seemed to wok for me and they didn't cause me or the baby any stress.  but Good luck and congratulations (:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)