Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Natural Birth Snobbery

Posted by   + Show Post

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely zero desire to deliver naturally. At all. I want pain medication(s) because I want to focus on being in an alright mood and not focused on how much it sucks to be torn in half by a watermelon in my pelvis. 

I would never ever knock someone for going au natural. But it’s when woman act superior and ‘holier-than-thou’ that it gets me heated.Yeah, great. You suffered through labor and delivery and I got pain meds. You must be so much stronger than I and such a better mom...

Yes, there are risks with everything. Even giving birth! I’m cool with it if you want to “feel the whole experience,” you masochist, you. But please don’t act like you’re better than me or I took “the easy way out.” Who wrote the book on L&D a decided if you take pain medication that you’re a wimp? 

Come time for my little bugga to get here, I’ll be getting an epidural. I know some women experience a slow in labor leading to a Cesarean, but I know my doctor and she will not put me under the knife unless the baby’s health and welfare is threatened. 

I know the risks of epidurals, I've also done my homework on other pain relief methods, just an FYI.

I just cannot wrap my head around why some women act like:

"OMG! Epidurals are so bad. Natural or go home! Why would you want to take something that could affect your baby? Don't you realize natural is better? You had a c-section? HA! I had a natural birth and if I can do it you can too!"

So if you can help me wrap my head around this Natural Birth Snobbery, please enlighten me.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (51-60):
AmyG1976
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

ummm so when someone asks and someone gives their opinion and you dont like it you get upset... your doing the same thing so GO you and go you meds woo hooo. but you dont know if you need them yet shouldnt stress or worry this much. My bff was all Im doing meds there was no snobbery on my part for not doing meds lol I helped her with info and ANswered her questions... in the end her 2ed child was med free because of timeing she did not realize until she did it how much better she felt after and how if she could go back #1 would of been med free. (I have known 3 woman who were inj from an epi 1 before my first 1 before I had my 4th and one right now personally I am far to afriad to do that...haha but to each his own) I was forced to get one with my first though and I had horrible back pain for 11 months telling ppl that is more of a warning of a side affect that is rather common I did not know about before hand.

Rachellee12
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I was trying for au natural. I made it 14 hours of a 24 hour labor before I just didnt have the strength. I was getting sleep, and I just couldn't take it anymore. For me, they had to help my son come with pitocin. As soon as that finally hit me, my contractions were extremely unbearable. I feel like I gave up.

adonaghy
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Here's the way I look at it....

You dont get teeth pulled with out meds. Why push a watermelon out your va j j without them lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Good luck on the ttc!! =) and you're welcome for the advice =)
KristyCat
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting adonaghy:

Here's the way I look at it....

You dont get teeth pulled with out meds. Why push a watermelon out your va j j without them lol

LOL! I love this!

luvmybug
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

i don't get it either. ?

SommerDawn123
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I am 19, I will be a teen mom for two weeks. I as well have done my research on every birth plan, though mine does not include any kind of medication but WATER. I plan to stay hydrated throughout my labor, but nothing else will be going in my system. Like others have said, a woman's body is built to deliver children, most of the time. Medicine is, in some cases, a necessity. On the contrary, a risk in several. A human body can tolerate up to 47 del (unit) in pain.  During childbirth, a woman's body can tolerate 57 del in pain. There is a reaction to every medicine you take. If you get the chance, watch "Pregnant in America." It's a documentary explaining how a lot of doctors aren't completely upfront as to why they encourage you to take medicine throughout labor. Also, there are so many babies born Monday-Friday and a smaller number are born on weekends or holidays.  Unfortunately, your best interest isn't always in the hands of your doctor or care provider, so it should be in yours at all times. Research from accurate and non-biased sources are the best ways to keep yourself protected, as well as your baby.  I wouldn't call it snobbery when someone encourages you to have a natural birth, but concern.  I preach to everyone the reasoning behind my birthplan, and they all take it very well and want to educate themselves on the things they didn't know. 

piwife
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Op instead of worrying about how others choose to give birth or what others think about how you choose you give birth. How about you just have your baby and do your best... I really could care less how you or anyone decides to birth their child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a5hl3yC
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I'm going to try and read through most of these however I will comment first. I get what you are saying to a point. Just like with every  other issue out there some people just try to push facts/opinions/everything. Iunderstand what you mean by wanting to have this baby and be able to enjoy those first moments rather than be screaming in pain.

However I will agree with some, if this is your first try and see how long you can go without the medicine before you get some, not saying to put yourself through pain but I went in at 7am and it wasn't till 9pm that I finally decided it was time. I also know this is different for everyone but I do want to share with you how it was for me. When I first got my epidural it wasn't fun. For a while there was an extreme burning pain as the medicine started to run it's course through my system. I've heard this from others as well. Which is why I'm pointing it out to you. I'm sure you would know most of this though since you have done research. For me I wouldn't be pushing you to not do this because it makes you "less of a mom" (which I don't believe) but because it can be dangerous for you as well. It's your decision though.

Honestly the only thing I would agree with people on is if you said something like "I'm going to get a c section because I don't want something coming out of my vagina."

Quoting KristyCat:

Again, I am not knocking anyone for having a natural birth. At all. If you wanna do it, more power to you. I'm wondering why some women feel a superiority over women who chose meds.

It's like, "Okay, you delivered the way women did for thousands of years. You didn't cure AIDS. Chill out..." 

milmil06
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I had epi with both my children I swore the first was gonna be all natural I tried and tried I was in labor for 26 hrs and wasn't dialating after I got my epi I dilated so quickly cus my body relaxed it seemed like with my second I was only in active labor for 4 hours dialated quicker when I got my epi and I can say both my kids were wide eyed and bushy tailed the moment they came into the world they looked directly in my eyes when placed on my chest I think however your most comfortable is the way to go and I only pushed 10 minutes with both boys If something was too harmful or risky doctors would not give us the options honestly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)