Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First baby jitters! Need some advice..

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello ladies. Well my name is Brittany I am 18 and about 3 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My fiancee and I have no idea what's ahead of us. I have been looking into so many aspects of being pregnant and I have so many questions!! First of all prenatal vitamins. Are those absolutely necessary? Water births. I want to give birth as naturally as possible. What are some things to avoid while being pregnant and what should I do more of? If anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Replies (21-26):
Rachellee12
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quoting anonb1026:

Hello ladies. Well my name is Brittany I am 18 and about 3 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My fiancee and I have no idea what's ahead of us. I have been looking into so many aspects of being pregnant and I have so many questions!! First of all prenatal vitamins. Are those absolutely necessary? Water births. I want to give birth as naturally as possible. What are some things to avoid while being pregnant and what should I do more of? If anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks

Well congratulations momma!! I was 18 when I was pregnant with my son. Scariest experience, but the greatest. You will have alot on your plate. Water births, you need to find a good doula. Pregnancy vitamins although are very nasty, are necessary. They make your baby stronger. I drank way too much caffeine when I was pregnant (it was my craving) But now my son is hyper-active. The doctors blame the caffiene...I'm started to believe them. I would also try and walk as much as possible. Get a medicine ball. They make it easier to sit down when you get further along. Find some good pregnancy safe excercises as well. It will help you keep peace if you do decide to continue with the au natural. (But if I were you I would not completely opt out of an epidural until you know your pain tolerance.) I had a horrible labor...My water broke at 4:15 on November 28th, 2010 and I didn't give birth until 23 hours later 3:22 on November 29th, 2010. I couldn't take the pain anymore after 14 hours of contracting and had to get the epidural. Just couldn't take it anymore. (point of the story is to leave options open). Also, don't worry about buying everything new. Decide now if you want to BF or FF... That way you can start buying formula now, bottles, pump, etc. The things that fit into your plan. Buy a box of diapers every week. (Keep YOUR RECIEPTS) That way if your baby grows quickly and you need to go up a size that yo don't have, you can exchange them. Take used clothes, your baby will outgrow the cutest outfits that you want them to wear a million times before you can blink an eye. Consignment shops that accept only good condition clothes are my fav. Figure out where you want bathe your child (if your kitchen sink is big enough, mine isnt...its too shallow) USE THAT...the tub is ridiculously hard on your back.

If you will be with your SO figure out a sleeping arrangement now, so that you can get right into it when you give birth. My hubby had to work for the first three months, and I kept turning on the light in the room which caused him to lose out on sleep which caused many fights (newborns cause stress on both partners so be prepared for some tussels) Just breathe. If you have any issue with post partum dont be affraid to talk to your doctor. Dont be ashamed alot of people go through it. I did.

Try and get your foot in the door somewhere while your still preggo (it'll be easier) If you decide to do schooling, either start saving for childcare or get on your ccc waitlist as soon as possible.

PM me if you want to talk... I would love to help! I wish I would have had the help when I was in your position. =]

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:43 AM
I had a natural labor with my first and plan to with the second as well. They didn't have a tub so I couldn't do a water birth, but I wouldn't hate doing one this time. The best thing to do during labor is relax. Walking,being upright, sitting on a body ball and rotating your hips, taking a shower with the water pointed at your back...trust your body you can do it! My labor and delivery weren't bad at all =) they were the best part of my entire first pregnancy.

I took prenatals with both babies, but I didn't fret if I forgot. I eat healthy and the baby will take from my body, the pills replace what the baby takes.

Avoid alcohol, deli meat (unless heated), hot dogs (unless heated), fish (due to mercury), large amounts of caffiene...I personally avoid aspartame, getting my nails done, dying my hair, many chemicals...

What to expect when you're expecting is an ok book to read. If you want to bf there are other books to read like the womanly art of breastfeeding or so that's what they're for. There are also websites like baby center which tell you what to avoid and expect. Your dr/midwife is a very good source of information as well. Oh exercise! That is something good to do since it will keep your body in shape for labor =) even just walking a lot (like 30 mins a day) helps!

Congrats and good luck!!!
milmil06
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Vitamins I was horrible taking them I always forgot both my boys are very healthy and nothing wrong as long as you continue an active healthy life style everything should be ok good luck and take care of yourself as long as you take care of you you are taking care of that baby :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrshagedorn5711
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

congrats!!! :) i got pregnant with my first a 19 and had him a few months after i turned 20 :) my prenatal vitamins that the doc. gave me made me sick so i bought gummy ones from wal-mart and they were much better! start taking your vitamins asap they are a big help :) just take care of yourself, in my opinion if your craving something, eat it or if you have morning sickness eat whatever you can keep down!! everything is fine in moderation (except smoking, drugs, and alcohol of course) i did a ton of research online about things i should avoid like lunch meat hot dogs and how much fish you can eat. babies are very expensive but wic helps out a lot, if you need it go apply for it asap! make sure you find a good doctor and make your appt to go see him/her buy diapers but don't buy too many small sizes cuz you will most likely get a ton for your baby shower my son is 4 months old today and i'm still using some diapers from my baby shower he's in a size 2 diaper now. go ahead and buy little things like bottles (even if you plan on bf it might not work out for you or you'll probably end up pumping at least sometimes) that's another thing if you are planning on breastfeeding save up and buy a pump! and then i would start saving up for baby furniture and your basics like a car seat and all that stuff. but keep in mind you'll probably get a lot of stuff at your baby shower. it his hard to have a baby young but it is def. possible :) good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me :) good luck :):)

anonb1026
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

What do you think is a good substitute for coffee and sodas? I know some teas have caffeine and I'm trying to stay away. Any tips?

sofiasmom17
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM

My best advise would be reading "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. Its thicker than the bible, but LOADED with helpful info, from birthing, to breastfeeding, to diapering etc. Im not particularly a fan of the parenting style he preaches, but the book is great. I read the whole thing before my daughter was born and I would always go back and refer to it when I had a question after she was born. Also read "what to expect when youre expecting" and another one I found really useful was "the happiest baby on the block," its about babies and their sleeping patterns and how to make them more comfortable after they are born. looking up stuff online from reliable websites is also good, like webmd and emedicine.com and of course, ask your Dr EVERYTHING :) congrats on the baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)