Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

How do you keep house?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 41 Replies

I have a really hard time keeping up with housework.  My son is almost 3, I work full time and when I come home I want to spend every second I can with him having fun and making memories!  We are always doing fun things together.  I take him to the park and I play with him.  Not one of those moms thats sits on the bench watching.  I play right along side him.  We go feed the ducks at the pond and try to catch turtles.  We take the dogs for walks and feed the neighbors horses carrots.  We roll around in the grass and dig in the dirt.  We have a blast together every day.  My house suffers because im so dedicated to play time.  The only break we ever really take from playtime is dinner, I try to make it on the go so that we can have impromtu picnics while out and about.  I always have something in the crockpot that I roll up in a tortilla so it portable and we are off to play.  When my husband is home for dinner we have family dinners but if its just my son and I we eat in passing. 

Then its time for his bed and then im supose to clean....  : /   After a full day of work and a full evening of intense play time the last thing I wanna do is clean!  Barf.  I just wanna have a night cap, read a little and pass the f*ck out.  I always get a little cleaning down, weather its sweeping or putting a load of laundry in or loading the dishwasher...but its never enough.  There always seems to be crumbs on the floor, laundry in the laundry room, clothes waiting to be folded, dishes in the sink a mess on the kitchen table...I can't ever seem to get on top of it, I always seem to do enough to just keep from drownging in it.  It doesn't help that we have a 5 bedroom fixer upper house, its massive so even the simplest task like taking laundry up to its designated drawer sucks big time! 

Im not a dirty person, I love a clean house and once in a blue moon I do dominate it and its spotless, but im so happy its spotless I invite people over and together we all trash it and im back to square one. 

Do any of you have any super awesome tips or tricks to staying on top of your house work?  Or should the house work just be more of a priority instead of play time?  Sometimes I think, "I wont play with my son today, we will go home and he will play alone and I will do nothing but clean."  Thats never happened.  I try to get him involved in it but he doesn't want to help.  My dad jokes that that is how he knew my son was so smart, "Most kids want to help when they are useless, and then when they become useful they don't want to help anymore, I knew your son was smart cause he never wanted to help!". 

Then I think, maybe ill just split it up better, like 2 hours of chores a night instead of 1 hour...I get these nifty little plans in my head but then when I pick him up from daycare im so excited to be with him im like "OK!  Time for fun baby boy!  What you wanna do?  Go to the park?  Feed the ducks?  Catch turtles?  All of it? ALRIGHT!"....I just feel like they are little only once and some day my son will think im a big uncool doofus and choose his friends over me and I want to hog up all the time I possible can with him until that day comes. 

Being in my house just makes me feel guilty because its messy and I hate it and I want to clean it but as much as I want it to be my priority it just isn't....So what do you guys think?  What are your houses like?  Do you play before cleaning?  Or clean before playing?  How do you balance it?  Or are you more like me? 

I try as hard as I can to not have people over at my house, my husband tells me most everyone who has kids has a house just like ours...but I dont think so and its a chance im not willing to take to embarrass myself over.

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SonicSpeeder
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't keep my house clean to save my life. And I work at home. I pick up and clean up the liveing room and withing 10 minutes it's a disaster. I have finally decided that until my DD is older and can help keep the house clean (and possibly longer) the house will be as clean as it can be. I just make sure I super clean before I have company and find a way to keep DD in her room all day.

momeofasweete1
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

try having him helping you with the housework =). it'll be fun for you, and teach him something good =).

Aadensma
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Haha I love playing with my son. I was the same way until I was about 5 months preggo. I bought a trampoline for him and I last fall, we jumped on it (yes, my preggo self lol) almost everyday. I took him to the park all the time. Lol my house suffers from it too...maybe just try dedicating one day a week for cleaning? Or take like half an our a day or something...it's tough, I know. I suck with laundry and dishes the most! Ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaitlin123
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't keep my house clean!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy92
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Have you tried making a game out of cleaning?

Idk lol!

You sound like a fun mommy though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leaellenrenee
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM

When you get home tell him, "Okay we need to straighten up the living room because its messy then we'll go to the park."  Have him help dust or help put things up and if he isn't afraid of the vaccuum let him do that.  Or if you have hard wood floors have him hold the dust pan.  Most kids enjoy helping.

MrCruzito
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Quoting momeofasweete1:

try having him helping you with the housework =). it'll be fun for you, and teach him something good =).

All I can ever get him to do is use the broom as a club or a bat, or drag a wet cloth across a table for a sec.  He is immediatly disinterested and drops the cloth on the floor and tugs on my clothes for me to go play with him.  I've tried being kinda mean about it and holding my ground saying things like, "You enjoy eating dinner right?", he will nod yes and ill say, "Ok then, well dinner won't magically appear until I get this kitchen cleaned, go play and I will come get you when im done!", "WAH WAH wahhhhhhh!", "Remington, STOP WHINING!", "NO MOMMY!  You come play NOW".....this continues until eventually I shovel the dishes into the washing machine and hope for the best and am like, "OKAY!  Lets build a house out of blocks! WOO HOO!". 

MrCruzito
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting leaellenrenee:

When you get home tell him, "Okay we need to straighten up the living room because its messy then we'll go to the park."  Have him help dust or help put things up and if he isn't afraid of the vaccuum let him do that.  Or if you have hard wood floors have him hold the dust pan.  Most kids enjoy helping.

I try to get him involved in it but he doesn't want to help. My dad jokes that that is how he knew my son was so smart, "Most kids want to help when they are useless, and then when they become useful they don't want to help anymore, I knew your son was smart cause he never wanted to help!".   - its true, I try getting him to help and I try making it fun, "Oooo see this!?  Look how awesome this is, it picks up the dust!  WOW!  NEATO!  You try?", "NO!"  and stomps off wearing his pouty face. lol. 

momeofasweete1
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

i know that it will be hard to do, but you have to stand your ground no matter what he says or does, it will pay off eventually in the long run. Just take it day by day on standing your ground. Hope things get better =)

MrCruzito
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Quoting proudmommy92:

Have you tried making a game out of cleaning?

Idk lol!

You sound like a fun mommy though!

He is too smart for that, I can be the biggest dork dancing with the broom and giggling hysterically at how fun it is to dust crown molding and drop toys in the sink to wash, or find the socks identical friend that was lost and now the two socks are so happy to be reunited.  And oh the joy of carrying folded towels upstairs to the closet!  How many can we carry at once?...yea all that sort of fun ive tried and he looks at me like im f*cking crazy and wants nothing to do with it.  lol.  : P  Cleaning must be genetic and he didn't get that trait.  Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)