Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

cradle cap

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of nasty cradle cap? My daughter is 3 1/2 months old. We have tried combing her hair, brushing her scalp, using baby oil, using olive oil, leaving the shampoo on. Its not as bad, but it still won't go away!!!! She is really allergic to baby oil though, we found out it gives her hives, so that is definitely out!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katieabril
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM
They make stuff for it. it Will say cradle cap on the bottle, it works well you just rub it on there and use a comb and kinda massage it off or loosen it and then wash babies hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katieabril
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM
But also with my 1st son nuthing worked ontill we cut his hair
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilmzmegz
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I know at Walmart they sell a shampoo for cradle cap. It worked within a few uses for my daughter..I forget what its called since i havent had to buy any in almost 3 years. But its in a greenish blue bottle. Can normally be found with all the babywashes and stuff.

cjsix
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Use a little bit of olive oil or vitamin e oil...you could also use garlic oil it has natural antibiotic properties,You do have to buy it as capsules by the vitamins and take a straight pin to poke a small hole,then squeeze the oil out. What you do is put your choice of oil on message it in well and let it sit for a few minutes then take a small tooth comb or better yet and old tooth brush and gently go over the area to loosen the cradle cap. If it doesn't all come off then put more oil on and repeat the process. I had to do this with a couple of mine.

remaining_me
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

idk. my docs always said don't stress cradle cap, it'll go on its on. all you'll really be doing is irritating the baby.

my girls didn't have much of it to begin with, but here's a bump for you!

1.hot.mama2005
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I just ignored it and eventually it went away. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newconfusedmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Thanks everyone!

leaellenrenee
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
If it's not a very bad case, using baby shampoo and gently using your finger nails to remove it worked for me. It helped my daughter a little more each time we did that after a month or two she didn't have it anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B-FigNewton
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I did everything you've tried, and it worked for me. Good luck!

smwilliams
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM
I would scrub his head with olive oil and then let it sit , then give him a bath. My son is 7 months and it all fell out at 6
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN