Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

How do you make a living? =/

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm a single stay at home mom to 2 boys, one not due untill August and I don't get any help from either of the "dad's". Finding a job has been a real pain for me, I've been trying so hard but no luck yet so I thought I'd come here and ask what some of you single mommies do for a living to make it on your own?

I've thought about joining the Slumber Parties business because I have a friend who's in it & she makes quite a bit but I need $250 to start so I thought of making crafts such as baby blankets, photo albums, decorated wipee cases etc, just to get my foot in the door on some income. Have any of you tried that? Any advice for this struggling momma? =/

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
sxymomma20
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Mcds woot woot..........lol I hate it  most of the time...loooking for something better........were struggling probably be worse if I wasnt with my bf or living with his family too

Meredithrocks
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I did crochet baby blankets, hats, and booties, etc. It takes a while to get your foot in the door selling handmade products, but after you find some people to sell to, it's easier! I have sold some stuff on Etsy.com. They charge a fee for every item you list (20 cents I think), but once you start selling things, that's nothing. I would also post flyers around for handmade blankets and such, alot of people prefer buying handmade/local stuff, rather than from a big business.

Good luck!

Check out the new Teen Moms group!

A group exclusively for teen mothers under 20, to talk and ask questions of other teens, about the joys and struggles of teen motherhood!

To visit, click here! : Teen Moms!

ProudMommy51006
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I waitressed for a few years, single moms can raise a family on that sometimes. It is easy, quick to get hired and money each night or morning. You definitely would qualify for child care too. Good luck, you will get there. Also, go after the dads for child support, just because they don't want to help, doesn't mean they shouldn't be held responsible for their part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica181989
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Im a single mother to 2 as well. One due in a month. I work at my daughters daycare. Its not the best paying job but for working there I get a discount on child care so that helps alot! Im suppose to be getting child support from my daughters father but he doesnt have a job at the moment but i will be also filing for child support once my son is born. You have every right to get child support on your childlrens fathers. Theres nothing they can do about it and its just as much their repsonsiblity as it is yours. Im also planning on doing some part time online classes here soon I only have a year of college done but getting a degree will help alot!

Lilypie - (LrYR)

Lilypie - (z1Zf)

remaining_me
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I'm not a single parent, and when I was separated I still had help, but I do crochet and it brings in money for me along with other jobs here and there (babysitting, online stuff) when I want the extra money.

MayraB123
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

You got some great ideas:) glad you think that way and your willing to do w.e. it takes to provide for your kids. Do there dads not give you any money?

Jzm0mmy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I get no money from either sperm donors. My son who is 4 now has only recieved a month of child support which was only $30 a week from the unemployment he was drawing & that was when he was 2. He's been saying he's had all these jobs off & on since then but I think they've all been underground ones from friends becaause I haven't seen any of the money from them. I call CSE all the time & all they tell me is they'll look into it but never do I get a call back or anything. I plan on filing for child support as soon as my 2nd comes too because his "father" got fired from his job due to.not doing his work & hasnt shown any effort to find another one either, drinking with his friends & sleeping till 3pm seems to be more important to him right now. He already has child support payments on his first child which his mom pays so I kind of feel like im gonna be going thru the same as I did with my first..why even file, I prolly wont get anything anyways, its like beating a dead animal...lol.

Quoting MayraB123:

You got some great ideas:) glad you think that way and your willing to do w.e. it takes to provide for your kids. Do there dads not give you any money?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg9209
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I live with my child's father and currently am a full time student. I do not work. However. My Mom was a single mom and raised me wonderfully. My dad was in my life but m mom got barely and cs from him. She worked full time and attended college. Supporting me with whatever I wanted. Even managed to pay off our home and graduate college... It's possible. U just need to have ambition and hard work and dedication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyangels88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM
I'm doing it all on my own right now cuz my hubbys in jail. It's been really hard but u do what u have to. I applied at like a million places and thanks to a friend I finally got a job :) I get assistance thru the y for the daycare so it's not as expensive and it really helps. Hope u find what works for u!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jzm0mmy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Exactly, "Thanks to a friend"...i feel like thats the only way you can get your foot in the door on a job these days, its more of who you know then what you know.

Quoting Lovemyangels88:

I'm doing it all on my own right now cuz my hubbys in jail. It's been really hard but u do what u have to. I applied at like a million places and thanks to a friend I finally got a job :) I get assistance thru the y for the daycare so it's not as expensive and it really helps. Hope u find what works for u!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN