Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Pet moms vs real moms??

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 10 Replies
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vipergirl22
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Well I say this I love my 3 cats but they in no way make someone a mom. I am sorry but it just doesn't. Taking care of an actual kid is way harder then taking care of a cat or dog. My cats are as much apart of my family but I don't think they made me a "mom".

Bgbluford785
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM
A cat... lol!! Cats are the most self saficant animals u can get, no way can u compare them to a child!! Ad wow how rude are those people to rip ur head off. I personally don't like cats no offense to people who do. I just think they are yucky! I'm a dog person however we don't have either bc I'm too busy trying to potty train my 20 month old along with having a new born in 9 days!!
perezamberly
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I'm pregnant with my first, and I'm actually terrified that I won't love my child as much as I love my dogs. Lol! I know the love is different, but I actually love my dogs so much that I think about them throughout the day and miss them like crazy when I'm away from them and when I get to see them after work, it lights up my world. So I do believe my pets are like my children. Now, when I deliver my first baby, I hope that I can separate the love enough and still love them just as much as I do now, AND love my new baby the way I should :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MuhKayRuh
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I didn't even read the article. I just want to say, if it doesn't have any impact on your personal life, then why do you care? Let the women who are "moms to pets" be just that. Let them do their thing and stop giving a shit about what they do. Simple. Causes less bullshit in the world.

JayBearsmomma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM
I have dogs and a son my dogs do not make me a mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remaining_me
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

lol, so much for having an opinion. i cant handle close minded people and thats how they sound and extremely creepy... you refuse to raise children for risk of creating serial killers? o_O says a lot about them.

pittymama
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM

sorry but my 2 dogs are like my children. i'm a pet parent. i'm not saying it's the exact same as having 2 children, but we think of them that way and there are a lot of people that feel the same way. there are people that will spend the same money, time and energy on their animals just as they would children. my dogs get THE BEST food, THE BEST vet care, THE BEST hikes/walks/dog parks offered to them, THE BEST toys, the best everything. My DH and I have the best and so does our daughter. They are our family and that's the way we like it. 

"but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids." is an unecessary comment. if you don't believe in people being "pet parents" then don't comment about it? i would've attacked that comment as well. 

-KC-
by Ymu Momma on May. 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM
lol agreed

Quoting remaining_me:

lol, so much for having an opinion. i cant handle close minded people and thats how they sound and extremely creepy... you refuse to raise children for risk of creating serial killers? o_O says a lot about them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM
There is no way carrying, birthing, nursing, and caring for a child till the day you die compare to having a pet! While in love my dogs and call them my babies they come nowhere near my boys. I really really hate when pet parents make it seam like they have it just as hard as a woman with kids.
.Angelica.
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

owning animals is in no way comparable to a child. Pets are MUCH easier than children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)