Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthing story!!!! Long but very important!!!

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 9 Replies
I am writing this in hopes of educating soon to be young mothers. I am finally comfortable in telling my story and hope it can help someone.

Well first of all, have a dr you TRUST!!!!

I was young and didn't do my research, which I fully regret.

I went to the hospital around 39 weeks because I got very sick all of a sudden and couldn't keep anything down, and I looked really pale.

They said my white blood count was extremely low and I didn't have enough potassium. So I was in the hospital for 3 days and my blood pressure shot up bad. Which I had great blood pressure though out my whole pregnancy. I was also very swollen. I and everybody else were thinking that I had preeclampsia. So we asked my dr about it. They brushed it off like it was nothing. We were very worried, for my health and our daughters health.

We told them that I wanted to be tested for preeclampsia. The doctors told us no, that the tests take too long to come back and if I did have it, that it would basically be too late to intervene!!! Wellll hello!!!!

I wanted to freakin scream!!!!!

My mother in law finally stepped in and demanded that they test me. I was already in tears at this point.

They still refused :( So my mother in law asked to speak with someone higher up.

The dr overseeing the whole floor came by with two more people, because he wanted witnesses.

My mother in law repeated the same thing. He told her the exact same thing the other dr told us. My MIL was furious that no one was helping me.

She said fine, we will just go to another hospital. Can you please discharge us so we can go?

This made them so anxious it seemed. They promptly told us that they would not discharge me. That we could still leave but my insurance would not pay for the hospital stay since I didn't have the discharge papers authorized. I still do not know if what they said is true. I didn't want to risk it and I felt trapped.

My MIL again was furious and I was scared. They didn't want to help us yet they wouldn't release me so that someone else could help me??? This made no sense!!!!

My MIL said fine. She pulled out her phone and said from this point on I am going to be recording everything you say. That changed their tone so freakin fast.

All of a sudden they wanted to do the preeclampsia test! Freakin A!!! Was that all it took?????

We were finally relieved.

I called to tell my mom everything that was happening. She lived in another town so she wasn't there.

The doctors came back and said we haven't gotten the test back yet. But since you are showing signs of preeclampsia we can go ahead and induce you. I was all for it. I was miserable and tired and still sick.

I will add that this whole time I was majorly drugged or that's what it felt like to me.

So we get transferred to a L&D room, and they start prepping me. The original dr was back and did not look too happy.

She barely explained anything and was really rough.

She told me she was inserting something in me( cant remember because I was so out of it). It was supposed to help speed up labor. Well it worked really fast and was intense.

I don't remember being in pain, everything seemed so foggy.

The anesthesiologist came and said do you need an epidural. I remember signing something and then him sticking me. I didnt feel anything.

Ladies, I REGRET having an epidural!!!! My back still hurts to this day and I think it has to do with the epidural.

Anyways I finally fell asleep. Next thing I know I wake up to a loud beeping noise and the nurses rushing in. I was so frightened. I thought something was wrong with my baby. They rolled me on to my side, gave me an oxygen mask and kept rubbing my belly. Everything finally calmed down and they explained what happened.

The nurse said that the epidural prevented me from feeling it. But I was having a major contraction. It was too long and intense that it put my daughter in distress (I'm crying writing this, this whole experience was just emotionally and physically draining). They said it was fine now and they would just continue to monitor me.

About 30 minutes later the same thing happened again and this time it lasted longer. I was so scared for my daughter. They kept on making me switch sides because it wasn't working. Finally it stopped and baby was fine. The nurse told me that everything was okay but if that happened again, they would have to do an emergency c-section. (* side note, the nurses were great)

I was so so scared and was praying that my daughter would be fine. Thank God an episode like that did not happen again!!

Finally it seemed like everything was fine and the doctor came in and said it was time to push. I was so relieved. It only took about 4 pushes and my daughter was born!!!

Because of the epidural I was not able to feel anything and was pushing too hard. This caused me to tear and I had to get stitches.

My daughter was healthy and weighed 6 lbs11oz.

We were transferred to a different room and everything was perfect!!!! She lathched on well and we both enjoyed breastfeeding even though it hurt.

My mom finally come into my room and explains something to me.

She said she talked with the priest at our church. He is on a ethical committee at a hospital.

She had explained everything that happened while I was in the hospital. He said in his opinion that it was a huge ethical issue of what they did to me and the baby.

Everything made sense after he explained everything!!!

The day I asked for the preeclampsia test, was a friday and that Sunday was going to be Easter.

He said that doctors don't usually like to do these things because of the weekend and especially because the holiday was approaching.

I was so disappointed in the medical team. They were refusing everything, they could have jeopardized my daughters life!!!! All because my symptoms fell on the weekend of Easter Sunday.

Ladies please do your research and please be an advocate for you and your babies!!! Go to a hospital that you trust! Have a doctor that you trust!!!! Please dont make the same mistake i did. I thought the doctors and hospital would have my daughters best interest in mind, they didn't. I am so thankful nothing awful happened and that I have a now healthy 2 yr old.

Be selfish and be safe and do whatever it takes to have a healthy labor and healthy baby.

Oh i also want to add that I have a new and excellent OB and my daughter has a new and excellent pedi. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Innocencedreams
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I'm sorry you went through that!! You are so right, every pregnant woman needs a Dr she trusts, and she needs to educate herself. I personally love my Dr and hospital, both were with me through the sudden unexpected birth of my first at 30 weeks and my second painful and difficult pregnancy, and they were wonderful. I did educate myself fully, and had an all natural labor and delivery with my first, though had I wanted an epidural, I wouldn't have had the option anyway. I'll have another completely natural labor and delivery with this baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alphamom26
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Thank God your baby is ok, and you were able to make it through that mess!! Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sure it will help a lot of new moms who have little or no experience choosing doctors.

I want to add, my doctor is incredible. He was my SIL's ob and she had 4 wonderful births before I had my kids, so I knew he was the doc I wanted already. Poor man stayed over 7 hours past the end of his shift to be able to check on both me and another patient of his that was having a really hard time. After she gave birth, he finally went home to rest and my DS was born a few hours later. The doctor that delivered my DS was very well informed about my wants, needs and history, and I found out that my doc's relief person had been busy delivering twins via c-section and that my doc had stopped the other 3 docs on that night and told all of them about me to make sure I was taken good care of.  I ♥ my doctor!!

dancedance432
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Gah I'm so jealous of you lol. But glad that you had a good experience. If I ever have another baby I would definitely go natural. The side effects just are not worth it. I want to be aware of what is going on with me and my baby.

Quoting Innocencedreams:

I'm sorry you went through that!! You are so right, every pregnant woman needs a Dr she trusts, and she needs to educate herself. I personally love my Dr and hospital, both were with me through the sudden unexpected birth of my first at 30 weeks and my second painful and difficult pregnancy, and they were wonderful. I did educate myself fully, and had an all natural labor and delivery with my first, though had I wanted an epidural, I wouldn't have had the option anyway. I'll have another completely natural labor and delivery with this baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dancedance432
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Oh my goodness he sounds amazing!!!He went above and beyond what he had to do. That is the kind of doctor every woman deserves. No one should have to experience what I did.

Quoting alphamom26:

Thank God your baby is ok, and you were able to make it through that mess!! Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sure it will help a lot of new moms who have little or no experience choosing doctors.

I want to add, my doctor is incredible. He was my SIL's ob and she had 4 wonderful births before I had my kids, so I knew he was the doc I wanted already. Poor man stayed over 7 hours past the end of his shift to be able to check on both me and another patient of his that was having a really hard time. After she gave birth, he finally went home to rest and my DS was born a few hours later. The doctor that delivered my DS was very well informed about my wants, needs and history, and I found out that my doc's relief person had been busy delivering twins via c-section and that my doc had stopped the other 3 docs on that night and told all of them about me to make sure I was taken good care of.  I ♥ my doctor!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

that's awful. glad you had  a good outcome despite everything.

insaneygolover
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Its stories like this that make me so happy I did not get an epidural. Another women I know still has some major back problems to this day because the needle got stuck.

Sorry for what happened to you but I'm glad your little one is ok!

insaneygolover
by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM
My ob was horrible, never touched me and bossed her resident around. Her staff were extremely rude and stuck up as well. However, a different doctor delivered my daughter and was very skilled. Both my mother and MIL thought I needed to be cut to push my daughter out, but the doctor helped stretched me and told me before hand if he said stop, that I should stop immediately to prevent tearing. I had my daughter will one small tear that required no stitches. Usually one goes through labour and says "Im never having another baby again" but the next day I jokingly asked my bf "Ok, whens the next one?".
cutestmom24
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM
ik didn't like my dr to much (I'm going to do more research next time) but the hospitsl I had my dd at was great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMama05
by Jamie on May. 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM

oh my :( that sounds terrible. I love my Dr. and the hospital I delivered at.  I couldnt imagine going through that. Glad you found a new OB

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)