Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

It happend again!

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM
  • 27 Replies
I'm not sure why but for some reason my 4 yr old son has been waking up almost every night at 1 am for the past 2-3 weeks. He wakes up and acts like he woke up from a nap. Wants to go downstairs and watch a movie, asks to have breakfast or a snack and asks to go play outside. If my husband or I say anything to him. Ask him if he's okay, did something scare you? Do you need to go potty? Does your tummy hurt? All he does is scream at us and cry. DH or I take him back to his room and lie in bed with him till he falls back asleep. It doesn't take long, he's out within a few seconds. My DH and I have been noting the days he wakes up and when he doesn't. Most of the time it's on days that he doesn't take a nap, but there's been a few occasions where he has and still wakes up

Any thoughts?
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
remaining_me
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM

it seems more unusual to me that he flips out on u guys at that age than the fact that he wakes up. that just seems like weird behavior for a 4yo. what time does he go to bed? maybe putting him to bed an hour later would do the trick. its weird what just an hour can do. i hope it doesn't last! good luck.

Vipergirl22
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM

We stopped our dd's naps completely because she was fighting going to sleep and she is 2.5. I say take him back to bed and leave him be because he could know what he gets if he wakes up and wakes you guys. And if he gets up just continue to put him back. It will be hard at first but you will get through it.

MommiesPNut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Quoting remaining_me:

it seems more unusual to me that he flips out on u guys at that age than the fact that he wakes up. that just seems like weird behavior for a 4yo. what time does he go to bed? maybe putting him to bed an hour later would do the trick. its weird what just an hour can do. i hope it doesn't last! good luck.

Idk if i should put him to bed an hour later.... That would be like 10pm. He wakes up between 8:30am and 9 am. We usually put him down for a nap at 1:30 he sleeps for an hr. bath at 8:30 in bed by 9pm asleep by 9:15 or 9:30.
MommiesPNut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Quoting Vipergirl22:

We stopped our dd's naps completely because she was fighting going to sleep and she is 2.5. I say take him back to bed and leave him be because he could know what he gets if he wakes up and wakes you guys. And if he gets up just continue to put him back. It will be hard at first but you will get through it.

My son use to fight us on taking naps a while back so I gave up forcing him. But we've gotten back into them. I do agree that it might be him wanting us and he knows that we snuggle in bed with him, try to limit that! Don't need this becoming a habit.
remaining_me
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:28 AM

totally up to you and only you know how your son will respond to it, but anything between 9-12 hours (a day) is an adequate amount of rest for a 4yo. its worth a try. good luck again, hun. let us know what you decide and if anything changes. =]

Quoting MommiesPNut:

Quoting remaining_me:

Idk if i should put him to bed an hour later.... That would be like 10pm. He wakes up between 8:30am and 9 am. We usually put him down for a nap at 1:30 he sleeps for an hr. bath at 8:30 in bed by 9pm asleep by 9:15 or 9:30.

wonderwomen1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Are you sure he is awake?

Sounds like me when I use to sleep walk and talk. I had bad night terrors too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADY_V088
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Are you sure isn't sleep walking...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMama05
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM

my son does that some nights but he is sleep walking. Its kinda creepy because its like its not really him.. and he doesnt remember in the morning.. does your son remember when he gets up?

MommiesPNut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Quoting BeachMama05:

my son does that some nights but he is sleep walking. Its kinda creepy because its like its not really him.. and he doesnt remember in the morning.. does your son remember when he gets up?

Sometimes he does sometimes he doesn't. Like today he remembers waking up last night. I had a friend who's son is the same age as mine and he would wake up crying and cry for an hour or so. He never opened his eyes and didn't want to be held. He'd eventually stop and fall back asleep. That was a night terror. My son doesn't do that. I'll have to google search it some and see what I find on sleepwalking, I'm sure there's a whole range on signs.
Kris1885
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Night terrors? Sleep walking? DD2 has been doing stuff like this for about 2 years. Its scary. Her pediatrician isn't too concerned, as it is something that they are supposed to outgrow. (I'm just wondering when she will outgrow it?!?) Talk to his pediatrician, or the nurse at the doctor's office. They are so helpful with little questions and it doesn't cost you a copay!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)