Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure why but for some reason my 4 yr old son has been waking up almost every night at 1 am for the past 2-3 weeks. He wakes up and acts like he woke up from a nap. Wants to go downstairs and watch a movie, asks to have breakfast or a snack and asks to go play outside. If my husband or I say anything to him. Ask him if he's okay, did something scare you? Do you need to go potty? Does your tummy hurt? All he does is scream at us and cry. DH or I take him back to his room and lie in bed with him till he falls back asleep. It doesn't take long, he's out within a few seconds. My DH and I have been noting the days he wakes up and when he doesn't. Most of the time it's on days that he doesn't take a nap, but there's been a few occasions where he has and still wakes up

Any thoughts?
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy0708toJC
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I'd say night terrors or sleep walking. My youngest does that still on ocassion sometime and he's almost 4. 

Jay-29, Jen-25, Jake-4, Chase-3, TTC #3

.Angelica.
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

that's kinf of what i was thinking. unless the crying when you talk to him is normal?

Quoting LADY_V088:

Are you sure isn't sleep walking...?

Thinking of using cloth diapers? CLICK HERE

leaellenrenee
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM
This. My DD and I both have night terrors. I don't sleepwalk or talk but my DF does. He flips out sometimes if I say the wrong thing when trying to coax him back to sleep.

Quoting wonderwomen1:

Are you sure he is awake?

Sounds like me when I use to sleep walk and talk. I had bad night terrors too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinawithaK
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

night terrors?  sleep walking?  it happens.  sometimes they grow out of it, sometimes they don't.  call your ped.

littlepinkrose
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think what you should do is not talk to much.  Just lead him back to his room have him get in bed say it is time to go to sleep and rub his back a little and then get up to leave.  That helps with him getting into the habit of going back to sleep on his own.  You really have to be consistent and do the same thing every time.  If he cries when you leave go back in and rub his back but do not pick him up. This may take awhile but if you do this all the time it will stop.  The less talking and less holding you do the better.  Do not ignore either always check on him and let him know you are there.  It sounds like a security problem and it will work itself out with time.

MommiesPNut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Quoting littlepinkrose:

I think what you should do is not talk to much.  Just lead him back to his room have him get in bed say it is time to go to sleep and rub his back a little and then get up to leave.  That helps with him getting into the habit of going back to sleep on his own.  You really have to be consistent and do the same thing every time.  If he cries when you leave go back in and rub his back but do not pick him up. This may take awhile but if you do this all the time it will stop.  The less talking and less holding you do the better.  Do not ignore either always check on him and let him know you are there.  It sounds like a security problem and it will work itself out with time.

=D thanks
horseap
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Night terrors maybe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Venae
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Sleeps now from 9p - 9a plus and hour nap?  13 hours of sleep is a lot for a 4 year old.  I agree - put him to bed an hour later.  He'll still get 11 hours at night plus the nap.  If that doesn't help, talk to the pediatrician - kind of sounds like sleepwalking.

babie113
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Could he be sleep walking???? I did stuff like this in my sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommiesPNut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM
It could be. Well see tonight. He woke up 7:30 this morning and took a nap today at 2:30. Like 9 outa 10 times he wakes up during the middle of the night are days he didn't nap. So well see bout tonight
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)