Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Almost 7 months old and doesn't sleep through the night..Any advice!

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM
  • 43 Replies

He was doing really good for about 2 weeks when he was 4 months, but that was it just a little stint.  I don't know why he isn't sleeping all night yet but I would love to get a good nights sleep. Any cool things other moms do to get their children to get a full nights sleep!?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofseven609
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

He might be overtired and needs to cry longer, stay a distance away from him while he's fussing so he doesn't so you.  He'll get the hint that you're not coming.  Sounds cruel and broke my heart, but that's what I had to do.  It worked.  They are either gassy, hungry or want to be held.

bryn65
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

He goes to sleep around 730-8pm and doesnt usually fight the sleep. He just wakes up at 230am to eat then goes back to bed... I just wish he didnt want that feeding!!

alphamom26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Babies don't sleep through the night unless you are lucky, lol :) I don't know one single baby that has consistently slept through the night until he/she was 3 years old. Its just part of the whole "parent hood" package :)

leaellenrenee
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM
My daughter is 10 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. She's been getting better here lately. Sometimes she doesn't even wake up at all. All babies are different. Good luck momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MentorMom1
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

That's kinda what babies do. He could be going through a growth spurt. And some babies need that extra feeding to touch base with mom, especially as they become more mobile during the day. They need that time for holding and touching. It relaxes them, and tells them they are safe and being cared for. It's called reattunement, and babies can't do that on their own. They require an adult's calming influence - feeding, rocking, soothing, singing softly - all help a baby reattune emotionally. It promotes healthy emotionally development. So, meeting his nighttime needs is just as important as taking care of him during the day.

If you are extra tired, try to lie down and nap when he naps. Let the house go. Turn off the phone for a while. If I had not done this I would have keeled over from exhaustion. It's such a short time when they need us so completely. I actually never minded the nighttime feedings and enjoyed our special time together.Most babies wake during the night and it's completely normal. Luckily, yours is going back to sleep! Just remember that children have separate needs from adults. It's our job to be mindful of theirs, not the other way around.

Why does your care and nurturing matter so much to your baby? Read Lauren Lindsey Porter's amazing article, The Science of Attachment: The Biological Roots of Love, only at http://www.familyfieldguide.com/

thanush
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My dd didn't sleep all night ( 12 + hours) until she turned 1.
Sleeping in her own room improved her sleep dramatically. We use dark curtains in summer.
I put her to bed early. At lest by 8.00 if not earlier. She always get up around 8.00 even if she gotten late to go to bed ( which does not usually happen).

Around 7 months her longest un-disturbed, sleep time was about 5-6 hours. She got up in middle of the night or feedings, also early in the morning. ( actual time was 2.30 am and 5 am, but 2 IS middle if the night fir me lol) I always pick her up, feed her and put her straight to sleep. Do it in a robotic way, make it as boring as pissible. do not play during night time feedings. Else you will be getting your baby into bad sleeping habits... Babies need the sleep for growth and so do you.
As he grows try to push his sleep hours too. Ex: 8 mo 8 hours etc... That's how I got mine to sleep through the night. As I said sleeping in er own room made a huge change too. She is such a light sleeper.
KaroGreenly
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM
My youngest is 3 and she still doesn't sleep through the night. You just have to wait until the kid is ready. If s/he is still waking at night, then s/he still needs that bottle.

thanush
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Lol don't we all wish that! That's completely normal for a 7 mo old baby. He need that feeding... Try to give him a good dinner around 6.00- 6.30, that will hold him a bit more. But your baby sound like he is doing exactly as he should...
Quoting bryn65:

He goes to sleep around 730-8pm and doesnt usually fight the sleep. He just wakes up at 230am to eat then goes back to bed... I just wish he didnt want that feeding!!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM
My 8 month old is still up every 3-4 hours at night(eats every 2-3 during the day.) But I'm nursing this time. My first two were given breastmilk by bottle 3 months and slept 8-12 hours but I realize now I was way overfeeding and that was why. A normal baby will still wake at night to feed until closer to a year, sometimes after. Your pretty lucky;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3KidsOneMom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

My 3 yr old still doesnt sleep through the night :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN