Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

14 months old and has basically no words in vocab... what to do?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
  • 19 Replies

When is it normal for a little one to start talking? I try making him say bite or more before I give him a bite, or if he's playing in his room for a while and then see's me, he wants out, so I say: "Do you want out? Say out and I'll let you out." But then he just throws a huge tempertantrum and I usually try to get him to say out for 10 mins before I figure he's not gunna say it, and then just take him out and the whole process begins at the kitchen table. I want to hear him talk so bad, but it seems like everything I'm doing is wrong... 

His vocabulary consists of 3 words and two of them aren't considered words just mamamamama or dadadada. He doesn't really even look at us and say it it just says it running down the hall or just wanting to hear himself speak. I can hear him try. He talks incohert babble but it's still something. I just figured at this age, he would look at me and say mommy up or momma bite. But nothing. Am I doing something wrong?????

Please help me.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArronEvanmomma
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
It's ok. Don't try too hard or hell just get mad and not want to talk. My boys barely talked until 20 months then one day they started talking so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I wouldn't worry:) Both my older boys didn't really talk until 2 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilmzmegz
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Every baby hits milestones at different times. My daughter got a wide vocab from the get go of me trying to get her to talk. My nephew who is a month older than her doesn't even have half her vocab and my niece who is a year and a half older then them has an extreme vocab(even though she chooses not to use it) I hardly worked with my daughter she picks up everything on her own at her own pace. GOODLUCK!

phrenicfire89
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM
My twins are the same age and talk the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM
That's normal. Every child is different
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amber710
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I would ask the pediatrician just to make sure nothing is developmentally wrong. But he may just be a later speaker. My daughter was talking by then, but every child is different. My husband's friend has a 4 year old that is still learning to speak correctly. Some kids just have trouble with that. It sounds like you are doing everything you can.

cheyenne1988
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Boys develope speech later than little girls. I really wouldnt worry too much about it but at his next appointment I would discuss it with his Dr. and see what they say. They can give you a lot of good advice. My son is 2 and has Apraxia, he still only has a 6-8 word vocab. Which isnt so normal. He is functioning with a 1 1/2 year olds speech and a newborn's hand reflex. ( he still balls his hands up in fists when hes not using them... Newborn reaction only!) He'll get there, just try to work with him but dont push too hard or the tantrums will get worse because he will get frustrated with you. Read books to him, even if they are just one word per page. It helps a lot. Try books with something he likes ... Cars, Trains, Movie/TV Characters. Also try to do breathing excersizes with him. It could just be he doesnt know who to control his mouth enough to form the words... Bubbles works great for that, or blowing a cotton ball across a flat surface with a straw. All these I have done with my son and they work really well, In fact Bubble is now one of the words he can say :)  Good Luck, If  you have any other questions please feel free to message me on here!

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I would give him a couple more months. If he hasn't added any words by 18 months bring it up with his doctor. I wouldn't push him though, just talk to him all the time and point stuff out, say what it is. He'll get it.

proudnewmomm630
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM

dont rush him when hes ready he will lol you gone wish he be quiet.

stacykling
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM
If u r concerned ask your peditrictian. My daughter is delayed in speech and well I wish I would have done something about it sooner. I figured she would talk when she was ready but when she was 1 1/2 and still not talking I had her tested. Turns out she has a medical issue that is delaying her speech. So if your worried at all better to bring the issue up sooner rather than later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN