Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Saved up enough child support...should i get a new appt??

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM
  • 34 Replies

I have a lovely little family of me and by twins (: BUTTTT their dad is an a$$hole and walked away from me when I was 21 weeks along. I get food stamps and help from the state since Im a single mom. My parents and his parents give me about $300 a week combined, which goes to daycare. My Paychecks go to supplies for me and the babies as well as the state checks monthly. Their father has to pay 800 in CS per month!. After paying off the NICU we are debt free bc the state helped pay for the cost of the NICU hospital bill and everything. Sweet right? I know. Now that I saved money from 2 months, im up to 1600 about. I really want to upgrade into a bigger place, without the help of the state. I want to be as independent as possible. Should I go for it? House or appt? Oh And im renting only right now, no buying (obvii)

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beth3721
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I would wait a until you are more financially stable.  I know what it's like to want a bigger, better place, but just because you have the money now, doesn't mean you'll be able to afford the rent.  It is suggested that you have 3 months worth of money in savings.  That includes everything you'll need-diapers, formula, food, gas, money for car maintenance, toiletries, clothing....

What I did was slowly work on getting off of government assistance all together.  First we made too much to qualify for food stamps, then it was WIC, now we are on our last year of state health care.  It's a little scary to have to take on all the financial burdens myself, but that alone makes me feel incredibly independent.

I say, work hard, go to school, do whatever you need to do to further your career and make more money.  If you keep on things will happen for you and before you know it you will own your own home!

Beauty91805
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I say wait until you can financially afford it without depending on child support, because you just never know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyoftwins126
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Thanks mommas. keep the opinions coming. I honestly i only want bigger bc im living in a 1 bdr appt with 6 months old twins. Should i talk to my income house person and see if we can upgrade through the state for now?

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

if you can afford it. but if you really can't then i would wait. maybe save up enough so you have enough for a few months bills if something happened?

jaellys
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

i would say to save up atleast 2 more months if you really want to move out..you alwasy have to take in consideration the down payment on a apt. and how much monthly bills are going to be. plus all the other expenses of the twins and yourself. let alone gas and food. personally i beliebe that 1600 is not enough. alwasy prepare for the worst. with kids things always have a way to change. but goodluck and i hope you make the right decision

MommyJill87
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I'd wait. I know how sharing a room with kids go. Bit like the others said, I'd keep saving as much money as you can for another 6 months or so, then even if CS stops or you are short on cash one month you won't have to worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM
The state should be willing to upgrade you to a two bedroom apartment - I'd look into that first. You are off to an amazing start and deserve so much praise! Give yourself time to be completely financially stable before giving up any state aid. That means being able to get by 100% on your paycheck k without money from family or child support. It's okay if it takes time.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
This!

Quoting HopesNDreams:

The state should be willing to upgrade you to a two bedroom apartment - I'd look into that first. You are off to an amazing start and deserve so much praise! Give yourself time to be completely financially stable before giving up any state aid. That means being able to get by 100% on your paycheck k without money from family or child support. It's okay if it takes time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Agreed. You always have to be prepared for the worst to happen.

Quoting .Angelica.:

if you can afford it. but if you really can't then i would wait. maybe save up enough so you have enough for a few months bills if something happened?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyoftwins126
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

so its okay to need help...?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

This!

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN