Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Subsidized apartment

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hey mommas! Im Taylor, Im 19 with a beautiful dd who will be a year old next month! A few months ago we filled out a little application for a subsidized apartment and they said it's a 4 month waiting list. Finally they called today and Im going tomorrow to fill out the 5 page long application! I'm so excited & happy!

Had any other moms had experience with subsidized/section 8/hud apartments? How much was your rent a month? Any other advice or experience with it? Did it help alot?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bshaw913
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:10 AM
A very Long time ago when we were first starting out, we lived in subsidized apartments for a year. They were fine and we had some colorful neighbors, but atleast we had a HOME!! It really helped us get back on our feet, we paid maybe 10-20% of our monthly income as rent and it was so little at the time, it was a godsend after my husband had lost a manufacturing job and we had to change our whole life. I hope you are able to get in soon and it helps you out to be there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GracelynJoysMom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Thank you! I live with my mom and 6 other people but it's definetly not the best environment to raise my daughter in. I work 30+ hours a week and go to school part time. I'm doing what is best for my daughter and this is the next step and I'm so excited!

Quoting bshaw913:

A very Long time ago when we were first starting out, we lived in subsidized apartments for a year. They were fine and we had some colorful neighbors, but atleast we had a HOME!! It really helped us get back on our feet, we paid maybe 10-20% of our monthly income as rent and it was so little at the time, it was a godsend after my husband had lost a manufacturing job and we had to change our whole life. I hope you are able to get in soon and it helps you out to be there!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM

when our DD was born in 1996 we went on the list for HUD. when she turned 5, our number got called and we got onto Section 8. We are still one it for my husband's disability.

shortycmlb
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM

We lived in subsidized. Avg rent where I live is $350-450, we paid $360 a mo 3b/1ba ultra efficient duplex, and we paid all utilites except water/trash. Basically take 30-33% of your gross income and it'll be more or less that depending on how many kids etc. The way they did it here was 1 room for parents, 1 room per kid OR if theres 3 kids, 2m/1f or v/vsa, theres 2 rooms. 4 kids, is 2 rooms as well. Max here was 3 bdroom.

remaining_me
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM

i have no experience with it but i'm sure it'll help a bunch. gl.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I'm on the list but it is 2-3 years in my area but we are excited because they open the section 8 lottery once a year, you have 2 weeks to get the application in, then they select 2500 people randomly so its not easy to get picked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GracelynJoysMom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I filled out the pre-view application about 4 months ago and today I went and filled out the 5 page application and they said it would take a couple weeks to get everything back that they need. So I'm hoping we can move soon. My only concern with the subsidized section 8 apartments is safety. Anyone have issues with neighbors or break in's when living in a section 8 apartment?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayBearsmomma
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Congrsts and good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutestmom24
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I'm trying to get thehubby to apply for section 8 so that we could move up to va with him (our dd and I live in fl he is up in va)but he is taking his sweet time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.SoldiersWife.
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I live a few blocks from subd apts. Some of the neighbors not so good but all the single moms live there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)