Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

How long did you breast feed?

Posted by   + Show Post
Or give your baby formula. I just read that you can't give your baby cows milk till they are a year old ?(apparently that's the legal law anyway)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
SkyZarah
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I havnt started breast feeding because I am only 23 weeks pregnant but I wannt to breast feed for as long as I can until its weird yuh know?

bigmama423
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

My oldest 3 were on formula till 12 months, cows milk after. My 10 month old was breast fed for about 5 months and has had formula since. I will start soy, coconut or almond milk after a year.

novachick
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM
My 22 month old just weened herself :( my goal was 2 yrs minimum. But she decided she was done so I was only 2 months short of my goal for her. I would have gone as long as she wanted past 2 years I just wanted the 2 year base minimum for her health.
And I don't ever do cows milk. My kids drink almond or coconut milk. We want to try hemp but we havent yet. Cows milk isn't good for anyone so we don't drink it. Rice, coconut, almond, hemp, goat are all better options than cow milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I just want you to know frequent nursing is normal:) Most newborns seem like they are nursing all day but even older babies sometimes nurse a lot. Babies go through growth spurts, they nurse more to increase supply.

The only way to know if your baby is getting enough is diaper count. You look for an increase of one diaper for each day of life(Day 1-1 diaper,day 2-2 diapers, day 3-3 diapers) from day 6 on you want 6+ diapers, a poopy diaper equals 2 diapers.

Newborns lose up to 8-12% (higher end of range if you get IV fluids) of body weight and should be back at birth weight in 2-4 weeks. Baby should gain about a pound a month from lowest weight.

Good luck and trust your body!

Quoting supernoodle2:

I nursed my dd1 for 4-5 months I don't remember then she went on soy formula till she was a year. My ds nursed for 6 weeks then I sadly put him on formula till he was a year. I plan on trying to nurse alot longer with my next baby, (due this month!) I stopped with my dd cause I had to go back to work her dad left us. My ds had me so freaked out he wasn't getting enough milk and I wasn't giving him enough. He kept wanting to eat every 20mins and I felt like I was starving him so I gave in and gave him a bottle and cried the whole time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM

It is extremely dangerous for a baby under the age of 1 to be drinking cow's milk.  Actually cow's milk is nasty in general.

My son is still breastfeeding at the age of 14 months. My daughter was formula fed until 12 months.  Neither of them drink milk.

TattoodMommy19
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM
My oldest weaned at a year.
My youngest is at 7 months and I hope to go to 2 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivilayla
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I'm still nursing my 6 month old. I will keep nurs ing until a year minimum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM
When is it weird to you? Some people think nursing a baby with teeth is weird. Some think not nursing until the child stops on their own is weird. I plan to nurse this baby until 2 minimum as that is what is reccomended and biologically normal.

Quoting SkyZarah:

I havnt started breast feeding because I am only 23 weeks pregnant but I wannt to breast feed for as long as I can until its weird yuh know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Aubree on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I was unable to actually breastfeed my son (long story), so I have been exclusively pumping. He takes about 15 ounces or formula a day and about 18 ounces of breastmilk. He's going to be 4 and a half months old tomorrow.

supernoodle2
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I am going to try harder this time(I am due at the end of the month) I felt so bad! I swear I bawled everytime I gave him a bottle for like a week. I have a breast pump now and I am hoping to have better results.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I just want you to know frequent nursing is normal:) Most newborns seem like they are nursing all day but even older babies sometimes nurse a lot. Babies go through growth spurts, they nurse more to increase supply.

The only way to know if your baby is getting enough is diaper count. You look for an increase of one diaper for each day of life(Day 1-1 diaper,day 2-2 diapers, day 3-3 diapers) from day 6 on you want 6+ diapers, a poopy diaper equals 2 diapers.

Newborns lose up to 8-12% (higher end of range if you get IV fluids) of body weight and should be back at birth weight in 2-4 weeks. Baby should gain about a pound a month from lowest weight.

Good luck and trust your body!

Quoting supernoodle2:

I nursed my dd1 for 4-5 months I don't remember then she went on soy formula till she was a year. My ds nursed for 6 weeks then I sadly put him on formula till he was a year. I plan on trying to nurse alot longer with my next baby, (due this month!) I stopped with my dd cause I had to go back to work her dad left us. My ds had me so freaked out he wasn't getting enough milk and I wasn't giving him enough. He kept wanting to eat every 20mins and I felt like I was starving him so I gave in and gave him a bottle and cried the whole time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)