Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Strong willed 5 year old! HELP!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello :)

I need some advice, I have a daughter who is about to turn 5. She is a very strtong willed little girl. A little to much like her mama at such a young age.. lol. Anyway, i cant seem to find an appropriate style of discipline for her. She DOES not care about her toys, or anything she likes being taken away, she will stand in a corner no problem, I DONT like spanking, im at a loss and needs some advice!!! Someone , anyone, please help!

Thank you!

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaroGreenly
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
You have to go with what works. If spanking works, you might have to use it even if you don't like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayla19216
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with pp go with what works. My almost five yr old also does not care about toys. Time outs never worked. But spanking did....i hate spanking but turns out so does she and ot made her listen because she DID NOT want to be spanked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds is the same away. I onced packed all his toys up and put them in the shed for a week he didn't even care at all. I use to use rewards. If he did good we would bake cookies or go get an ice cream. I focused on the good instead of the bad and it slowly got better. Inused little rewards threw out the day if he got threw the morning I would say how proud I was of him and make him something special for lunch. Like some yogurt with a few m&ms in it with his lunch. Some thing for afternoon. If he was good for the afternoon we might bake cookies for dinner. Good at night I'd read an extra story or let him stay up to watch 1 show on Disney. After a few days he started to behave better and realized he would get small treats for being good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Big_heart_mama
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I like this... we used this style for awhile... but than i noticed right after we did something nice, or after her reward she would absolutley out of no where pop an attitude, and start acting out again. I realize my lil Angel is not always going to be just that, but she seems to be dealing with some issues she wont, or doesnt know how to share with me. This is why i feel she is acting out. :(

heather4511
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Has there been a lifestyle change? New people in her life? Has something changed with you that she wants attention?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My ds is 5 and the same way, once he gets the reward, he then turns into my lil devil!!! I do try and lay on the heavy praise when he is doing great. Some times it sticks in and he will continue the good behavior, other times he puts out hand like he deserves a treat for being good. i try to just encourage it more and explaine sometimes his treat is to not gett yelled at lol. 

Quoting Big_heart_mama:

I like this... we used this style for awhile... but than i noticed right after we did something nice, or after her reward she would absolutley out of no where pop an attitude, and start acting out again. I realize my lil Angel is not always going to be just that, but she seems to be dealing with some issues she wont, or doesnt know how to share with me. This is why i feel she is acting out. :(

CafeMom Tickers

sxymomma20
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

dont worry nothing works for my almost 5 yr old son...im at lost too...its like he is amuned to everything i do

BeachMama05
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was the same at 5.. I dont spank.... just took privileges away and would send him to bed early. He is now 7 and is much better with listening! 

lovebugg95
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

my lill sister is the same way she is 6 years old and notthing works on her shes got an additued out of this world. we try an take her toys from her she don't care she finds something else to do. we dont let her watch tv she dont care, but something thatdoes work with her is when she does something bad we send her to her room for 6 mins and if she listens she comes out then if she dont she stays in there longer, and it really works, because lately she has been being a lot better. it just seems like she never grew out of her terable 2's loll.

good luck with your daughter.

Big_heart_mama
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I just had a lil baby boy in march that could be a factor in her actions, but we have been dealing with this for sometime now, before lil Noah came along. I really have never met sucha strong willed lil princess ,.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)