Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Information on Prenatal Doctor Appointments

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

You'll see your doctor a lot during your pregnancy so it's important to choose some who you like and trust.

Most pregnant women have between 10 - 15 prenatal visits.

You'll typically see your doctor once every 4 weeks during your 1st and 2nd trimester. During your 3rd trimester, you'll typically be seen once every 2 weeks until 36 weeks and then weekly until your baby is born.

Here is some info on what happens at prenatal doctor appointments:

• 1st prenatal visits are often scheduled when you're 8 weeks pregnant
  • During most visits, you'll have your weight and blood pressure recorded, you'll have blood tests and have your urine checked, the doctor will examine your belly and listen to your babies heartbeat.
  • Your doctor should always be gathering information from you and sharing advice, education and counseling. You should also be discussing tests and procedures.
  • Between 15-18 weeks, you may have a screening to see if your baby's at risk for Down syndrome or spina bifida.
  • Between 16-20 weeks, you may have an ultrasound to check for any abnormalities and verify the baby's due date. You can usually also find out whether you're having a boy or a girl.
  • Between 24-28 weeks, you'll be given a glucose screening test to check for gestational diabetes.
  • During your 3rd trimester, you'll be checked for group B strep, anemia, sexually transmitted diseases as well as any other test that your doctor thinks you may need based on how your pregnancy has been progressing and based on your health history.

If everything looks normal, you're doctor will instruct you to call when you're having frequent contractions. If this doesn't happen by 42 weeks, your doctor will probably induce labor since health risks are at that point.

For more info:

Please share any information that you have on prenatal doctor appointments in the replies below!

Pregnancy
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BeachMama05
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM

youre welcome

Quoting BeachMama05:

heather4511
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Great list :) I see ladies complain so often that they want to have their first prenatal visit sooner. However, 8 weeks is the norm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Exactly.  The only way a doctor will want to see a woman sooner is if she has had previous issues with other pregnancies or health concerns that may affect a pregnancy early on.

Quoting heather4511:

Great list :) I see ladies complain so often that they want to have their first prenatal visit sooner. However, 8 weeks is the norm.

BWG_2013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I am 27 weeks along and having my glucose test Tuesday 22nd. Kinda nervous. I don't like going to the doctor much, especially getting testing done. Any advice?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Try not to be too nervous, it's really no big deal.  Just make sure you don't eat anything before hand and only drink water.  Then plan on getting yourself something good to eat when you're done.  

Quoting BWG_2013:

I am 27 weeks along and having my glucose test Tuesday 22nd. Kinda nervous. I don't like going to the doctor much, especially getting testing done. Any advice?

cemcnair
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Good info!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Benswifey10710
by Amanda on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Great info
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN