Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Calling Grandma "Mom"...

Posted by   + Show Post

SO I'm only five months pregnant and there's still some time to go, but I'll be in school after baby comes and my boyfriend will be in school too. My mom offered to take care of the baby until I graduate and move in with my boyfriend, but I'm scared of my son calling my own mother, "mom". Will my son be more attached to her than me? How can I prevent that from happening? 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Replies (11-18):
cemcnair
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM
He will know who Mommy is regardless if he calls other people mommy too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BugaWagaMom25
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

How to prevent that is by you being the  mother and taking care of your baby because he is your son not hers. Finish school online so you can stay home with your child and take care of him, with how modern schooling is these days you dont have to choose anymore between getting an education to move yourself forward for your family and being a good mother to your child and its great and your baby needs you not your mom and he will get confused because the person he sees the most and takes care of him the most he will acociate that person as his mother and you dont want to regret anything later on. Once theres a child in the picture he becomes everything and everything about him and is for him. Young girls have so many options these day they didnt before. You really should consider online school so you can do both, and after you graduate have your boyfriend work while you go to college or some for of higher education so there will be money comeing in, you getting educated and soon a job that pays well to support your family, and you can be home with your son in the meanwhile.

I chose to do online schooling my last two years of high school so i could work starting when I was 16 and I graduated with great grades, had a social life and started getting good work experience.

I was 19 and had a great full time job that was stable and payed me almost 10 dollors an hour and was great when I found out me and my now husband were expecting. When I realized with both of us working and me starting school this coming febuary that no one would be home to watch our son I put in my resignation so my husband can work and I be home going to school to provide a good future for my family and watch my son grow up because I didnt want him to be raised by his grandparents and miss all his milestones because he is my son and its important and you can never get that time back if you miss it.

I am now 20 and have a beautiful 6 week old baby boy who I get to see everyday for a year and a half until I graduate and iam so happy even though its hard!

But just remember nothing thats easy is ever worth it, and anything thats hard IS.

Haveing your mother raise your child is easy because all you have to do is focus on school like you never had a baby and now a mother of your own child, but its hard being a mom and being there  a 100% for your baby and going to school and doing it all. So thats why its WORTH it <3

dandeli0nwishes
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Most kids go to daycare or are watched by family, it won't effect you're bond. Ds is extremly atached to dh. They have a special bond, it's cute to watch.

kconnolly90
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I know how you feel, I had the same thoughts when I was pregnant. My daughter calls me "mommy" or "mom", but she calls my mom "mom mom" or "granny". As long as you spend enough time bonding with your son, he'll be attached to you and know that you're his mommy. When he born and you're talking to him, refer to yourself, like in third person, saying, "Mommy loves you" etc, and when you're giving him to someone else say, "Do you want to go to Grandma?" or "Daddy", say it each time, and he'll eventually understand who each person is and know what to call them. I've been doing that since my daughter was born, she'll be 2 in December, she knows who mommy is, her granny, her paw paw, her uncle chris, uncle roger, aunt dana, aunt kimma, and her cousin ashley. She knows who everyone is and calls them by their name, well her version of the name, she's still trying to pronounce them the right way. Lol. Good luck! hugs

aniters
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM
my 10 month old will be calling my mom "mama ana" because she doesnt want to be called grandma. lol. no one can ever take your place. your baby will always love you more than anyone :) I'm a sahm and my mom comrs to visit often. ds is going through a phase where he always wants to be with her but I know he loves me more ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1.hot.mama2005
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

If he does call her mom, it's probably because that is what he hears. Don't let it upset you. Just keep calling her grandma and have her do the same.

Mommytoralin
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

My son stays with my mom half the day while I go to my classes he doesn't call her mom or anything. But he's really close to my mom (he's almost 9 months) but he knows that I'm his mommy.  He knows the difference and I also live with my parents as well but he knows that I am mommy, and only calls me that.  They know the difference trust me.  (:

Chillisarah
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting eds6619:

He might go through a phase of calling her mom...that happens you shouldn't let it offend you.  Sometimes its the only name they can say for awhile.  As far as being more attached to her than you...I doubt it.  You're still going to be his mom.

I agree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)