Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Help!! (Bedtime issues)

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so here's my current issue: My son, who is a month away from turning 2, has learned how to climb out of his crib. We have a baby gate that we can put in front of his door, but he can kick it down. We also have stairs in our apartment and he can open the gate that is front of them too. So my question is, would it be ok to lock him in his room at night? I have a baby monitor, so I'd be able to hear him. But I just feel worried about him wandering around his room by himself while I'm asleep. I'm not really sure what other option there is though, because if I don't lock him in he's gonna end up getting to the stairs and most likely falling down them. I mean, it's not like he's old enough to know better yet. His room is mostly baby-proofed, but I still have a few more things to do to it. This is just one of those moments where I'm just so conflicted about what to do. On one hand I don't want him in his room by himself, but then again, I don't want him wandering the house by himself either lol. We also are planning on turning his crib into a toddler bed tomorrow, so that he can just crawl out instead of having to climb over and possibly get hurt. I just need advice! lol So, do any of you have experience with this? Have any of you locked your kids in their room, and if so, did they do ok? Were you able to hear them when they woke up and started moving around their rooms? Somebody told me to sleep on his floor, which is fine for a while. But I can't do that forever, and plus I like sleeping with my fiance too. ;) But for tonight, the little one is sleeping in our bed, until we can get his crib turned into a toddler bed.
(By the way, sorry if I'm rambling. It's past my bedtime lol)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachMama05
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I dont believe in locking anyone is their room at night.. makes me sad to think about.. there are gates you can get that either screw in the wall or have a rubber stopper that connects tightly to the wall (thats what I have) look in to one :) I love mine! 

rodgersv11
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
We have the one with the rubber stoppers too, but he can open it. He just shakes it really hard and it pops open. I definitely don't want to lock him in his room, but I don't want him falling down the stairs either. =/ this is why I'm so conflicted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rodgersv11
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM
But just as a side note, I don't think he'd be upset about being locked in his room. I'm just scared I won't hear him in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rodgersv11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM
The one he kicks down is just one of the cheap wooden ones from Walmart (sorry, should've clarified that lol). But the one with the rubber end things is the one we have in front of our stairs, and he's learned that all he has to do is pull on it real hard a few times and it pops open. Also, there have been several times where I've caught him pulling one of our kitchen chairs over to the gate and trying to climb over. He's super smart when it comes to this stuff, which is why I'm so worried lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM
No, I would not lock him in. Too dangerous if there is an emergency.
It does sound like its time for a toddler bed though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
18mommytobe0512
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Door handle covers? So he can't open the door from the inside but you can still access his room easily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rodgersv11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
See, I don't see the difference between the door handle covers and just locking the door. I mean, they both essencially do the same thing. And honestly, I can get the door unlocked faster than I can open it with the covers on there lol.
I do appreciate all the helpful comments though. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Stack the gates?

Quoting rodgersv11:

The one he kicks down is just one of the cheap wooden ones from Walmart (sorry, should've clarified that lol). But the one with the rubber end things is the one we have in front of our stairs, and he's learned that all he has to do is pull on it real hard a few times and it pops open. Also, there have been several times where I've caught him pulling one of our kitchen chairs over to the gate and trying to climb over. He's super smart when it comes to this stuff, which is why I'm so worried lol

rodgersv11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM

If the issue was him climbing over them then I would, but he kicks them so they fall. lol

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Stack the gates?

Quoting rodgersv11:

rodgersv11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

That's what I'm saying lol. If there was an emergency it'd probably take me twice as long to open it with the doorknob covers than if it was just locked. I just feel that because he's still so young he'd be better off locked in his bedroom than wandering through the whole house by himself.

Quoting mutantninja0813:

Thats what I have. Its a few years old with dog bite marks on it haha. Its really tight once its in. My son climbs over it now though. He opened his door once but I don't have stairs and I heard him. I see no difference between something he cant open and locking him in. The knob on Gabe's door is reversed because he was locking himself in. I could lock him in if I needed to, but I dont have a need to right now. In an emergency the doorknob thing will be just as much of an issue. Actually, I find turning the lock a bit easier than those things.

Quoting rodgersv11:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN